2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2010 6:55 AM by r_tist

remote vs. local

r_tist Level 1

Hi,

If I work directly with the remote files, I seem to have to then hit 'Put' in order for changes to take effect.

I thought remote were the "final, final" files? My problem is, I went into the remote and opened a couple files and made edits - then hit 'put'.

This seems to have overwritten the changes my developer made yesterday. I am confused now because I thought the files I was touching, remotely, were the same she was touching, remotely! What's going on with this?

Any ideas? Any way I can undo what I did? Please help!

Thanks!

• 1. Re: remote vs. local
          mhollis55 Level 4

When you edit in Dreamweaver, you really ought to edit locally. The Remote files are the files on your server and, for your own protection, they should be altered only by uploading the files to the server, either using Dreamweaver's built-in FTP or by using a standalone FTP application, like Panicware's Transmit.

When you double-click on a remote file, Dreamweaver downloads that file (in its current state) to your local drive. Clicking on that remote file again may recopy it (without your edits) once again to your local drive.

So here's how to use Dreamweaver:

Edit using your local files. When you have a page finished and checked (by using your own browser to look at the files on your local drive to check that they do actually look the way Dreamweaver is rendering them. It is recommended to look at your work in more than one browser. If you have a PC, you should use a W3C-compliant browser and Microsoft's Internet Explorer. I recommend using IE7 because it's not W3C complaint and because there are still a lot of fools out there - er people using that browser who may look at your website. Compliant browsers include Firefox, Google's Chrome and Apple's Safari. Chrome and Safari both use the Open Source Webkit as their rendering engine so they'll tend to look the same.

Once you have your pages the way you want them, send them to your server. Pull down File>Save to Remote Server or, in your Files Browser window, click on the page (or pages) you have completed and press the blue up arrow to put the files onto your remote server.

This workflow will prevent you from accidentally copying an old file you wish to change back to your local drive and messing up changes you have made to your website in Dreamweaver.

• 2. Re: remote vs. local
            r_tist Level 1

OK, I gotcha! Typically I do always work locally and then upload. But in this case I just wanted to make a minor change remotely. But I suppose like you mentioned, it really isn't remote.

Let me ask you this...how about having the host company back up to the version as it was yesterday evening. I'm thinking this would be best; do you think that'd work?