29 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2010 1:52 AM by xrayhead

Encoding Help Please...

ReductiMat

Hi there,

I'm still very new to video editing, so I'm not entirely sure how to even ask the question.  Given two the two frame captures below:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4045/4370761542_3a636a3e20.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2690/4370864740_1b55d02267.jpg

The first capture is from the source camera output (helmet cam, 720p59.96), the second is one of dozens of AE options I've tried.

I've tried a ton of output options (720p60, 720p59.94, etc.etc.), but it seems I really need to find a way to output 720p59.96.  Am I correct?  Is there a way for me to get the sharpness of the original after editing?

Thanks for any tips you can provide.

• 1. Re: Encoding Help Please...
          Curt Wrigley Level 4

Your helmetcam really shoots 60 full frames per second?

Can you post a few seconds of your source footage?

• 2. Re: Encoding Help Please...
            ReductiMat Level 1

Hi Curt,

Yep it does, it's the ContourHD 1080P version: http://www.vholdr.com/contourhd/features

I just put a tiny sample clip on Vimeo:

http://www.vimeo.com/9580172

Hopefully you can download the source.

Thanks

• 3. Re: Encoding Help Please...
              Curt Wrigley Level 4

Thanks.  I was able to download your sample.

I see; your cam performs this "trick" of 60P by lowering resolution to 720P.

So; my first suggestion is to make sure your sequence is set to match your footage.  Can you advice how you setup your sequence?

Then; How do you want to export it?  To what format?   Ill see if I can dup your problem with the test footage.

• 4. Re: Encoding Help Please...
                Curt Wrigley Level 4

Assuming you wanted to export back to the same format (h.264) I did a test export with the appropriate settings.  I used a slightly lower data rate than your original to make the file a bit smaller.

Does it look ok?

http://www.vimeo.com/9581679

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Encoding Help Please...
                  xrayhead

Hmm, I'm having issues with this also! I have the new GoPro HD and Im shooting in 720p @ 60fps.

Now  I cant even see the settings to allow me to add a sequence with H.264 720 60fps (ANYWHERE).

So when I start a project and the highest fps I can find is 29.97fps, I added a couple of test files (both 720p, 1 @30fps and the other @60fps), Premiere Pro thinks the 30fps is a movie file and the 60fps is an audio file. See screen cap bellow....

Now I take it this is because of the frame rate...... ????

So how do I create a sequence that is compatable with 60fps?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4021/4371477478_d2a0852fb6_o.png

NOTE BOTH FILES ARE .MP4 and play 100% OK in windows..................

• 6. Re: Encoding Help Please...
                    Curt Wrigley Level 4

This cam records to what is more often used for display video, not a standard recording format.  So you will need to create your own custom preset.   Just click on the general tab and make your own at 59.97 progressive.

• 7. Re: Encoding Help Please...
                      ReductiMat Level 1

Curt, that seems to work fine!

I've looked long and hard, but I can't seem to find the spot where I can set the timebase of a sequence.  All I'm faced with is a fixed, drop-down value.

Would it be easy for you to tell me how you did what you did?  Or give me some keywords to search on?  I'm like a fish outta water right now.

Thanks again.

• 8. Re: Encoding Help Please...
                        ReductiMat Level 1

Hey bud, grab the latest service packs and updates for Premiere.  They'll show up then...

• 9. Re: Encoding Help Please...
                          Curt Wrigley Level 4

You are probably choosing a recording standard that does not support the frame rate.   When you make a new sequence; dont choose an existing  preset cause your cam does not record to any of these standards.  Instead click on the general tab and create you r own.  these settings should work:

preset.jpg

When you export; choose X.264 and then the same framse size/rate.  Set the video rate at whaever you feel is the best balance of quality vs file size.  I used 9M CBR for a quick test.

• 10. Re: Encoding Help Please...
                            ReductiMat Level 1

Do you mean H.264?  Or should I be downloading and using X.264?

I've used those sequence settings before, but when I render a wee clip in my work area with those sequence settings, I can still see the annoying artifacts.

Is it because something funky is going on going from 59.94 to 59.96?

• 11. Re: Encoding Help Please...
                              Curt Wrigley Level 4

sry.  I try to type too fast.  H.264

• 12. Re: Encoding Help Please...
                                xrayhead Level 1

I tryed the settings above and it now see's it as a video file but the Monitor Window Only Shows "Green Screen".

If I try and play it, then  Premiere crashes! I also went and got the latest update for Premiere and I'm now on 4.2.1.

Couple of things to note;

720p 30fps files play ok within the windows enviroment and within Premiere.

720p 60fps files play ok within the windows enviroment but NOT in Premiere.

I use VLC player and have the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack installed.

Xray

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2698/4372857000_0af80ebcdd_o.png

• 13. Re: Encoding Help Please...
                                  xrayhead Level 1

I also installed QuickTime Pro 7 and did a restart, still green screen.

• 14. Re: Encoding Help Please...
                                    Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

The K-Lite codec pack is a disaster.  You need to uninstall it.  The problem is that it very likely won't uninstall completely, and that enough parts will remain behind to still mess up Premiere.  Your only option at that point is a reformat and reinstall.

-Jeff

• 15. Re: Encoding Help Please...
                                      Harm Millaard Level 7

I second that. It also makes me wonder why people install codec packs in the first place, when they ought to know that installing codec packs is most often utterly disastrous and frequently requires a fresh installation of OS and programs to get rid of that malicious stuff. This apart from some codecs (which are never in packs) that can be safely installed if they are really needed, like HuffYuv or Lagarith.

• 16. Re: Encoding Help Please...
                                        ReductiMat Level 1

For what it's worth, I've only installed the CoreAVC codec.

• 17. Re: Encoding Help Please...
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Harm,

I think that the lure of a CODEC "pack" is that it's free, contains a lot of "stuff," and they are actually recommended on a lot of fora - one-stop shopping. Sounds so easy, eh? When you think about, that's a pretty loud "siren song." Then the troubles begin. Last time that I looked, the only good thing about the K-Lite was that it did contain a much older version of G-Spot.

I've spent much of the last two years, recommending against CODEC "packs," on some other fora, and have linked to many articles in this forum as an example of "do you want this to happen to you?" Still, many insist on installing them, and some otherwise trusted contributors sing the praises of K-Lits, so it does not surprise me, that users would try it.

I see that the OP limited the installation to just one CODEC. I do not know that one, but at least FFDShow, and a bunch of useless, but potentially harmful "stuff" did not get installed.

To the OP, good luck!

Hunt

• 18. Re: Encoding Help Please...
                                            Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

CoreAVC installs the Haali Media Splitter, which may cause problems.  I've never had an issue with it, but it is something to think about.  The good news with CoreAVC and Haali is that you can uninstall them without worrying about lingering effects.  Disclaimer: at least that's been my experience.

-Jeff

• 19. Re: Encoding Help Please...
                                              xrayhead Level 1

Ok, I'm not convinced it is Codec! Look at the Video info of the two .MP4 files. One was shoot on my Sanyo and the other was shoot on my new GoPro HD head cam!

Now both of these are MP4 files, one desplays ok and the other crashes the aplication!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2724/4373565726_a9629da4d8_o.png

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4003/4372815671_c600a7595c_o.png

They both play fine in windows and Xilisoft Video Converter.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2725/4372829565_460ceb9ce7_o.png

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4049/4373589976_f9e8b063af_o.png

• 20. Re: Encoding Help Please...
                                                ReductiMat Level 1

I just tried a trial copy of Vegas Pro.  I was able to set the timebase as 59.96 and everything rendered as nice as the original.

Is there a way I can set the timebase in Premiere Pro somewhere without using the drop-down box?

• 21. Re: Encoding Help Please...
                                                  Curt Wrigley Level 4

Im curious; what happens if you rename the files with a .mov ext?

I an earlier post in this thread it is explained how to create a custom preset.

Can you post one of the files online so we can see if its a general problem or just your PC?    Your original sample clip exported just fine on my PC.  So if your other clips are the same; it is your setup; highly likely the codec pacs installed corrupting things in Pr.

• 22. Re: Encoding Help Please...
                                                    ReductiMat Level 1

Hi Curt,

Looks like Vimeo takes the source file, converts it and then offers it up for download.

My original files are xxx.MOV.

Can you use a timebase of 59.96 in Premiere Pro?  I've done a custom preset using "Desktop" but am only able to select a timebase from a pre-defined list.

Not sure where I can put a proper source file as they are all in the neighborhood of 500MB to 2GB...

Thanks again for your help.

• 23. Re: Encoding Help Please...
                                                      xrayhead Level 1

Hi Curt

If I use MPEG_Streamclip to change the file to .MOV the file then shows up ok in the source monitor window!

I have uploaded a samle of the .MP4 720p@60fps here

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2717/4375638298_d6eb293e7a_o.png

ReductiMat

Do you have any issues with the GoPro on r3 not showing in the source monitor window like I do?

• 24. Re: Encoding Help Please...
                                                        ReductiMat Level 1

Someone on the vHoldr forum (manufacturer's site) suggest I turn off Frame Blend.  Ta Da!  Once I've done that, the funkyness is gone.

Now I just need to find out why they decided to record 59.96 FPS.

• 25. Re: Encoding Help Please...
                                                          ReductiMat Level 1

It sounds like the CODEC used for MP4 is different than the one being used for MOV on your system.  Get GraphEdt and drop the MP4 on it then drop the MOV on it.  It will tell you what filters are being used and from there you can figure out how to remove the offending one.

I have a ContourHD, not a GoPro.. also, I'm not sure what R3 is..?

• 26. Re: Encoding Help Please...
                                                            shooternz Level 6

FWIW

I have not followed the nuts and bolts of this thread but see that you are asking about the fps.

If its an issue checkout your fps options under 'INTERPRET FOOTAGE'.  (RT-Click on clip in the Project BIN)

• 27. Re: Encoding Help Please...
                                                              ReductiMat Level 1

Not too concerned with how it looks in the work area.  Rather, I'm concered what she looks like after rendering.

59.96 fps seems to be a stupid choice for output.  Unchecking Frame Blend at least loses the ghosting as seen above when rendering to 59.94 fps.

• 28. Re: Encoding Help Please...
                                                                xrayhead Level 1

That GraphEdit is one cool app.

Here's the files I ran through it, first is the file from the GoPro HD un-touched and the second has be passed through MPEG_streamclip

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2496/4381833358_717f0eb198_o.png

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4029/4381839000_c59671c4fc_o.png

• 29. Re: Encoding Help Please...
                                                                  xrayhead Level 1

ReductiMat

r3 is just the selected shooting mode (its just a symbole on the front lcd of the camera).

r5 - 1080p = 1920x1080 pixels (16:9), 30 fps, 15 Mbit/s data rate
                                                                  r4 - 960p = 1280x960 pixels (4:3), 30 fps, 12 Mbit/s data rate
                                                                  r3 - 720p = 1280x720 pixels (16:9), 60 fps, 15 Mbit/s data rate
                                                                  r2 - 720p = 1280x720 pixels (16:9), 30 fps, 8 Mbit/s data rate
                                                                  r1 - WVGA = 848x480 pixels (16:9), 60 fps, 8 Mbit/s data rate