4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2010 4:29 AM by nealeh

PE bombing out on cross dissolve

DaveMessinger

I have premiere elements v 8.0 dated m178 9/8/2009 running on an acer aspire notebook.

I have been trackItemTrack.cp-655 erroring out after trying to add a transition to a title placed between 2 video clips - mov mpeg4 files shot with a canon powershot.

THe program bombs when I try to insert a cross dissolve transistion between a title clip and the surrounding video, which is near where I have chapter marker.

what is happening is when I drag a cross dissolve, I get a white 1x4 inch box that flashes in the lower right corner that I can't read fast enough to tell what it says, but it indicates something about a project file being corrupted - I really can't read it, but then the the dissolve appears on the timeline and seems to be working properly, but then shortly after that I get a premier elements debug event error -  trackItemTrack.cp-655 - and the program bombs out.

THis has happened probably 4 or 5 times, even if I shut down and restart the computer.

One other thing I have also noticed is that when the program restarts, even after I have saved the project, after the bomb out, all the transitions need to be re-rendered. I have about 8 chapter markers in the project

Any helpful hints on trouble shooting this ?

• 1. Re: PE bombing out on cross dissolve
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

First question: do you have adequate Handles on those adjacent Clips? Normally, if one does not have adequate Handles, there will be a warning message to the effect of "Inadequate Handles so Frames will be repeated... " Cannot recall if PrE displays such a Transition differently, but in PrPro, there will be cross-hatching in the Transition.

Now, there could be a couple of things happening. Considering the additional graphics, that are being displayed, it could be that the graphics side is at fault. Here are the steps that I would take to test:

1.) get the very latest video driver and install it

2.) look at Hardware Acceleration (usually in Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager, but might differ by OS version). If set to max, try on min. If min. try on Max. If one works, then you can increment, and test, until it messes up again, and step up, or down from there.

3.) check the OpenGL settings. Turning this ON, or OFF might have a major effect.

Now, it could be a resources issue. The program needing to display a warning dialog, or something different in the Timeline, might push the program and the computer over the edge. This ARTICLE will give you tips on setting up your computer for an editing session.

Hope that something helps, and good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: PE bombing out on cross dissolve
            DaveMessinger Level 1

Thanks. Appeciate the response.  Haven't quite found the reason, but I converted the mpeg4 clip to avi and the problem seems to have gone away for now.

Guess I need a video camera on the computer screen to read the complete message that flashes too briefly for me to see - would be nice to know what it says.

n

I was hoping there might be a place where the error messages are stored for review. Guess I eed to read the help file a bit more.

• 3. Re: PE bombing out on cross dissolve
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              Guess I need a video camera on the computer screen to read the complete message that flashes too briefly for me to see - would be nice to know what it says.

That is a good trick. I recommend that users do that, when an Adobe program fails to load. There's a tiny line of text, telling what is being loaded. It's small, and goes by very quickly on a fast machine. Recording that line on the Splash Screen and then Rewind/Play/Pause, has helped many see what is hanging. Though sometimes, it's the NEXT item - the one we have not seen yet...

Glad that the conversion seems to be working for you though.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt

• 4. Re: PE bombing out on cross dissolve
                nealeh Level 5

the_wine_snob wrote:

There's a tiny line of text, telling what is being loaded. It's small, and goes by very quickly on a fast machine

You can make it bigger by changing your screen resolution to something like 800 x 600 or 1024 x 768 while you film it.

Cheers,
                --
                Neale
                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children