5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2010 10:42 AM by shunithD

Backsaving in Illustrator CS4, for CS?

PrintCraft7

Can Illustrator CS4 backsave so that it can be opened in CS?

• 1. Re: Backsaving in Illustrator CS4, for CS?
          Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

It does no need to be saved backward it can open it as is but you will lose support for features that were not available in CS.

However in the Illustrator options dialog that shows up after the save as dialog you can choose to save to an earlier version.

• 2. Re: Backsaving in Illustrator CS4, for CS?
            cvreeland Level 1

Wade_Zimmerman wrote:

It does no need to be saved backward it can open it as is

I have yet to get a CS4 file to open properly in CS3. I get a warning dialog, and then a blank page 99% of the time.

The workaround for me has been to open the CS4 file in Preview (Mac OS 10.5) and save as a .pdf which then opens fine in CS3. The main problem with this technique is that there's always a page-sized clipping mask that shows up with these files and I've got to delete that.

Saving as... CS should not not a big deal if the files aren't too complex. If you're using CS4-only effects, expand them first and convert type to outlines. (providing you don't intend to edit these elements once opened in CS)

My experience might be limited because I'm pre-press, and never need to alter the content of client files -- just render them for printing.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Backsaving in Illustrator CS4, for CS?
              shunithD Level 3

PrintCraft7 wrote:

Can Illustrator CS4 backsave so that it can be opened in CS?

Yes...

Save your file, so it's intact. Then File>Save As... now rename the file - you don't have to, of course! - and save. When the Save dialogue opens, choose the version you want to save as. Click OK. You'll get a warning... ignore it and click OK... Voila, saved as Version X... helps to add the version in the file name, as i hinted at earlier....

Edit: What i usually do is: filename.ai for CS4 versions. filename CSX.ai for earlier versions - where CSX is the version number.

• 4. Re: Backsaving in Illustrator CS4, for CS?
                PrintCraft7 Level 1

We currently have CS and when we try to open an Illustrator EPS

file that someone has sent us, it often says that we cannot open because it was created in a newer version of Illustrator.

Now a customer is getting CS4 and will often send us files, and we are wondering if they can even backsave as far as CS, or if it only saves to CS3.  They don't yet have the CS4 to experiement with.

Many thanks for your help!

• 5. Re: Backsaving in Illustrator CS4, for CS?
                  shunithD Level 3

PrintCraft7 wrote:

Now a customer is getting CS4 and will often send us files, and we are wondering if they can even backsave as far as CS, or if it only saves to CS3.

They can (back) save to:

1/ All CS versions from CS4 - CS (1)

2/ And Legacy Formats 10, 9, 8 and 3 as well...

They'll get a warning dialogue but can ignore that.