10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2011 4:50 PM by ptatphiliptdotcom

PDF sticky notes

rohan21586

Hello all,
      I have a project in which i have to do following things:
      1. Open the PDF in the browser.
      2. Write sticky notes on it.
      3. Extract those sticky notes from the PDF and save it to database.

(meaning there should be some button on the PDF which will ave those sticky notes)
      4. Next time when the PDF is open it should be linked to those sticky notes in the same place.

Is it possible to get sticky notes feature on the web browser and also is it possible seperate out the sticky notes from PDF.

Thnaks,
      Rohan

• 1. Re: PDF sticky notes
          ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

1. This is possible yes (depending on the users preferences of course).

2. Only possible in Reader if someone with Acrobat has enabled the file for commenting in Reader. Otherwise, the users will need Acrobat.

3. Only with Acrobat and not Reader.

4. Not sure what you mean by this.

• 2. Re: PDF sticky notes
            rohan21586 Level 1

First of all i did not uderstand wht is the diff between Reader and Acrobat. I thought its Acrobat reader.

From what i have found out is u have to buy the sticky note feature.

My last point is as follows.

When we open a PDF in a browser, we should be able to write the sticky note in PDF which is open in browser itself. And there will be some button on the PDF file which will save those notes in the database. And Next time when the file is retrived they should be availabe where they were written.

Is it possible. If yes how should i go about it?

• 3. Re: PDF sticky notes
              ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't believe that commenting and markups (the sticky notes) are available when A PDF is opened in a browser.

rohan21586 wrote:

First of all i did not uderstand wht is the diff between Reader and Acrobat. I thought its Acrobat reader.

My last point is as follows.

When we open a PDF in a browser, we should be able to write the sticky note in PDF which is open in browser itself. And there will be some button on the PDF file which will save those notes in the database. And Next time when the file is retrived they should be availabe where they were written.

Is it possible. If yes how should i go about it?

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: PDF sticky notes
                rohan21586 Level 1

Yes they are not available...

i tried a lot but the toolbar dosent appear in the browser.

Please let me know if u find something on that.

• 5. Re: PDF sticky notes
                  ptatphiliptdotcom

They ARE actually available (at least if you have the full version of Acrobat--not sure about whether it works with just the reader), but there's some weird, completely non-intuitive (default) setting in Acrobat that you have to change to make it work.  I've been using it for years, but I just reinstalled my OS & am having to figure this out AGAIN--it's surprisingly hard to find info on the web about this....

Someone from Adobe (or anywhere) please post the solution here...!!

Thanx,

-pt

• 6. Re: PDF sticky notes
                    try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

In a nut-shell, Reader is a free product with very limited capabilities. Basically it can only read PDF files, add basic comments (Reader X, or earlier versions if enabled in Acrobat), fill-in forms and possibly submit/save them (if enabled in Acrobat).

Acrobat is a paid product that can be used to create and manipulate PDF files. Among other things, you can use it to create form fields, enable various rights for Reader, etc.

See here for more info: http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/matrix.html

• 7. Re: PDF sticky notes
                      George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

It seems you're asking about browser-based reviews, which were introduced some time ago, and have been replaced with shared reviews. Browser-based reviews have been deprecated (as of Acrobat 9) in favor of shared reviews. You can learn more about them in Acrobat's help doc and a number of tutorials out there.

• 8. Re: PDF sticky notes
                        ptatphiliptdotcom Level 1

George,

I appreciate your feedback.  I'm using Acrobat 8 (full version).

And--quite frankly (and note that the frustration in this message is

directed to Acrobat, not to you personally)--I don't want to know about

(and certainly don't want to HAVE to know about) browser-based review,

or shared reviews, or any other Adobe technospeak.  I simply want to

know how to (re-)enable sticky notes in PDFs in browser Windows.  I've

(eventually) figured out how to do it before, but I can't figure it out

now.  IT SHOULDN'T BE THAT COMPLICATED, DAMMIT!

So, if anyone knows the trick to setting my Acrobat up for (re-)allowing

sticky note use within browser windows, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Aloha,

pt

• 9. Re: PDF sticky notes
                          George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

PT,

I'm sorry, I didn't notice you resurrected this thread and responded to you as though you were the person who started it. Does the Acrobat toolbar appear at all when the PDF is displayed in the browser? Which browser are you using?

I don't have Acrobat 8 to test, but when I open a PDF in Firefox, I can set up the toolbar to display the commenting tools. When I try the same in Internet Explorer, the commenting tools are only available if the document is Reader-enabled.

• 10. Re: PDF sticky notes
                            ptatphiliptdotcom Level 1

George,

Thanks for your reply.

Using FF6 now (FF4? previously), andagainAcrobat 8 (full version).

Yes, Acrobat toolbar appears in browser.  Even within the browser, I'm

able to rt-click to choose "Customize," then "More tools" + "Comment &

Markup Toolbar" + check the checkbox for "Sticky Note"--but when I hit

"OK," it just goes back to the previous Acrobat toolbar (without Sticky

Note ).  For one thing, if it's

not going to let you select those things, the option shouldn't be

thereat best, the options should be there but GREYED OUTbut that's a

whole other level of usability problem.

I recall having had this frustration long ago, and then spending an

inordinate amount of time figuring out how to fix the problem--which I

did, but I have NO IDEA what was done to fix it.  It seems like it was

enabling some feature within Acrobat--like "enable review groups" or

some such seemingly random thing as that.  ("Random" to me because I

just use sticky notes to make notes for myself [or other subsequent

readers of the document]; I've never used group review features [or

whatever they call them now, or whatever they used to call them...!)

I'm just a standalone user who just simply wants to put sticky notes in

documents I read on the web, and THEN (with a single click) save the

result locally.  (Yes, I know I can save the document somewhere, open

Acrobat, FIND the document, etc., etc., etc.--but what an INCREDIBLE

waste of time that is!!)

I've poked around in Acrobat options, and spent another inordinate

amount of time looking for a solution on the web, but still haven't

(re-)figured out how to fix this problem.  Interestingly, my internet

search for the problem almost immediately brought up someone else who

had the exact same problem--but that person was ME!! ...and,

unfortunately, it wasn't a thread that anyone answered.

Am very appreciative of your attention to this issue, and would love it

if you had some insights you could share RE: a solution.

Aloha,

pt