9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2010 2:07 PM by Sam Souhrada

ItemRenderer Issue with more than one item - locks up flex application

Sam Souhrada

I'm having a unique error in Adobe Flex when using item renderers. The example below shows a combobox with a very simple item renderer:

<mx:ComboBox id="stateOfResidence" y="80" width="325" fontFamily="Arial" fillAlphas="[1.0, 1.0]" fillColors="[#8DACE3, #8DACE3]" borderColor="#959595"  themeColor="#8DACE3" fontSize="13" color="#FFFFFF" tabEnabled="true" tabIndex="3" tabChildren="true">
                                  <mx:itemRenderer>
                                  <mx:Component>
                                      <mx:Canvas width="50" height="50" backgroundColor="#FF0000">

</mx:Canvas>
                                  </mx:Component>
                              </mx:itemRenderer>

Basically just a red canvas which displays like this:

simpleRenderer.JPG

If I add anything to the renderer the ComboBox doesn't open at all and various parts of the application stop working. Here is the code for the item renderer:

<mx:ComboBox id="stateOfResidence" y="80" width="325" fontFamily="Arial" fillAlphas="[1.0, 1.0]" fillColors="[#8DACE3, #8DACE3]" borderColor="#959595"  themeColor="#8DACE3" fontSize="13" color="#FFFFFF" tabEnabled="true" tabIndex="3" tabChildren="true">
                                  <mx:itemRenderer>
                                  <mx:Component>
                                      <mx:Canvas width="50" height="50" backgroundColor="#FF0000">
                                          <mx:Label paddingLeft="5" text="TEST!"/>   
                                      </mx:Canvas>
                                  </mx:Component>
                              </mx:itemRenderer>                           
                              </mx:ComboBox>

Here is a screenshot:

twoItemRenderer.JPG

The text is grayed out and the box doesn't open. Additionally all other comboboxes stop operating correctly.

Attached is a sample project that I've attempted to show how the main application is wired up. However... in my example everything is working.

*Any ideas as to why I can't put a more complex item renderer in my application?

*Has anyone come across an issue like this before?

Thanks