1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 19, 2010 12:37 PM by Captiv8r

Recording significantly delays the application begin recorded

dfkeene

Hi All

I have the trial version of Captivate 4, and I have purchased the real version. I can't get tech support until I register the product, but given its cost, I want to make sure that Captivate works the way I need it.

I am trying to record the screen of an application 1280x1024. Other products seem to have no trouble, especially Camtasia. When I use captivate, it significantly delays the original application 10-20times, so it is almost unusable. I don't know if this is my fault. I use Full Motion, as the application updates the screen automatically, and I need to capture these updates that don't require user input or mouse movements. I don't care if the file is very large.

Any Suggestions?

Doug

• 1. Re: Recording significantly delays the application begin recorded
          Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi Doug

If there's anything worthwhile I've learned in life, it's that nothing beats honesty. So I'll be candid here.

I dearly love using Captivate, but if Full Motion is what you are after, Camtasia is decidedly the superior product and you will likely be much happier using it. Full motion with Captivate has come a long way from where it once was, but Camtasia is king when it comes to full motion capture.

Sometimes I record with Camtasia, then blend it with Captivate by dropping what I recorded into a Captivate slide.

Personally, my vote is to have both applications in my quiver. Then recognize the strong suits of each and use each where appropriate. I compare this to the saws I might have in my garage. All saws cut wood. But a compound miter saw runs circles around a table saw for precise angle cuts. Likewise, nothing compares to a table saw for ripping long sections straightly.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks