17 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2010 8:18 AM by the_wine_snob

Jerky pictures in DVD through Premiere Elements 1

Gwyg

Hi. I export my project to a DVD and get a jerky picture when I watch it on TV when there's a movement. I tried to change the field options but so far without luck. I thought I might ask for the right solution as it's quite annoying to waste about 12 hours and some empty DVD's just to see that it's still wrong.

I would expect that the option "always Deinterlace" should do the trick as one field disappears from each frame but it didn't really help.

Is it possible I still had the problem because the option "frame blend speed changes" was checked? I don't use any time stretch in my film.

Would love to know if anyone has a good idea before I waste some more effort and make experiments.

I actually succeeded with that problem as I made one film 3 years ago. Unfortunetly I wasn't smart enough to write down what I did, and now I don't remember...

By the way I use PAL as I live in Europe.

• 1. Re: Jerky pictures in DVD through Premiere Elements 1
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Now, are you talking about DVD-Video, which is interlaced, or BD?

Please tell us more about your source footage, and your Project Preset. It is very likely that the problem is coming from the source footage, which is then compressed to MPEG-2 for DVD-Video.

Last, I always test my Projects by burning to a DVD RW disc. That saves making "coasters." One 10-pack will last for years and many, many Projects. Now - do NOT use DVD RW for delivery, but only for testing.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Jerky pictures in DVD through Premiere Elements 1
            Gwyg Level 1

Hi and thanks. Good advice about the DVD RW.

My source is AVI films. Don't know what BD is, but what I'm trying to do is make a DVD movie. As Imentioned, I succeeded in doing that a few years ago so I don't think there should be a problem with my source. I do have a newer DVI camera now, but half the project was used with the same DVI camera I used a few years ago.

Don't really know what to answer about project presets as I'm just an amature. But did make a fine DVD video the first time :-)

Thanks also for the quick reply.

• 3. Re: Jerky pictures in DVD through Premiere Elements 1
              Gwyg Level 1

I looked at Project setting now. Only thing I could probably tell is Display format is set on: 30fps Drop-frame timecode. Timebase is set on 29,97 frames/second (can't really change that). Don't think there's more I could tell.

Both my video cameras use DVI casettes, no HDD.

I guess BD is Blueray? It wasn't an option for Premiere Elements 1. My computer is a few years old and wasn't compatible even for PE2, that why I'm using the first version.

• 4. Re: Jerky pictures in DVD through Premiere Elements 1
                the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, you are outputting to a DVD-Video, and your source footage is DV-AVI, Captured from your miniDV tape camera. That is as good as it gets. The problem should not be in your source material. Is your new camera also miniDV tape, or is it something else?

Given the above, your Project Preset should be DV NTSC (since is saw the 29.97 fps later on). This will mean that your source footage matches 100%.

Now, let's do a bit of background on what goes into getting our movies onto a DVD-Video. For a discussion on quality, the one thing to consider is that the footage (DV-AVI in this case) will be Transcoded into MPEG-2. This reduces the file size, and because it is the chosen format/CODEC of the DVD-specs., will allow a player (either hardware, or software) to play the resulting DVD-Video. MPEG-2 is pretty good, but does have trouble with motion, whether it is camera motion, or subject motion. It will be increased if the motion is across the axis of the lens of the camera. Still, the DVD-specs were written when almost all TV's were CRT and Standard Definition (SD). MPEG-2 was as good as it got. Along came High Definition (HD), and TV's got higher resolution. Suddenly DVD-Video did not look so good any more. Blu-Ray (BD = Blu-Ray Disc) was introduced. The MPEG-2 CODEC was updated to HD and a new one, H.264, was introduced. Up-rezing players did improve even the old DVD-Videos, when shown on the HD TV's, but they do that by special chips, that do nothing else.

Because DVD-Video was designed for CRT TV's (Interlaced display), that is still part of their specs. When one now plays a DVD-Video on an HD (Progressive) TV, without an up-rezing deck, problems do show up. Same thing if we play a DVD-Video on our high-rez computer monitor (Progressive).

Tell us about the equipment that you are now playing your DVD-Videos on. Is it the same exact equipment that you used for those older DVD-Videos, or have you upgraded?

Also, it might be worthwhile talking about De-Interlacing. What happens in most operations is that one-half of the vertical resolution is just thrown out. That takes our 480 and leaves 240 - not what we want to do. Now, there are some methods that use sampling algorithms, that help maintain that vertical resolution, but will De-Interlace to yield Progressive material. Those up-rezing HD DVD players do that with circuitry. Some encoders do it but at a price - $. Adobe products do not use any fancy chips, nor do they use encoders, that cost 10x the price of the programs. However, one can find De-Interlacing applications that do a better job than what Adobe offers. Some are even free, but you have to look carefully and search a bit for them. Next, some are not quite so easy to use, some even requiring that the user learn to write in scripting language to run them. Still, there are some good ones out there, and all will be stand-alone programs, not simple plug-ins for PrE, or any other NLE (Non Linear Editor) program.

Now, if you are going to De-Interlace, do expect the vertical resolution to go down.

Good luck, and let us know about the equipment that you are using to view your DVD-Video.

Hunt

• 5. Re: Jerky pictures in DVD through Premiere Elements 1
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

If you want to explore De-Interlacing more, read down this THREAD to reply #10 from Dan Isaacs.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Jerky pictures in DVD through Premiere Elements 1
                    Gwyg Level 1

I

still have the same equipment to watch the movies. It's a Sony DVD (not Blu-Ray) and HD-ready Philips TV. I was watching the other the day the older movie I made (my 4 year old girl's first year, this movie is my 2 year old girl's first year) and it is perfect.

But does all this mean that if I upgrade my TV and DVD player in the future, I won't be able to see the old movie anymore? I don't have a backup for the material. Only the DVD movie itself. But it probably should be possible to convert from that, shouldn't it?

I was reading the other thread. I saw that the guy wanted to convert from PAL to NTSC. I wander if my problem is that the preset in the program is using 30 frames (NTSC). Both my video cameras (I don't have the old one anymore, but some of the material in my movie was recorded with it) should be PAL as I bought both of them in Europe. When I plug directly  the camera to the TV it's obviously a good pictures.

It's so frusturating since as I mentioned before, I know I got it to work using only PE 1. I didn't need to use any other program and I got a perfect result. I guess I will make another test now, but I'll see if it's possible to change the preset to 25 frames first.

And again, thanks for all the information. You're really making a lot of effort to help strangers :-)

• 7. Re: Jerky pictures in DVD through Premiere Elements 1
                      Gwyg Level 1

Can't seem to be able to change any of the presets...I'm sure they are exactly as they were a few years ago.

And now I looked at the properties of one of the movie clips. It is 25 frames (PAL).

I was opening a new project, just to see if I could change the preset from 30 frames with a new project where I haven't imported any films yet, but it's just not possible. I have to assume that everything is exactly the same as before. Only thing that is not working is my memory.

Oh well, that's why we have some empty DVD's, right? Didn't have the time to go and buy RW...

• 8. Re: Jerky pictures in DVD through Premiere Elements 1
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, you are in Europe, and hence PAL, but have NTSC Frame Rates.

If so, then the 30 fps material could well be a problem. What is your Project Preset? (When you did New Project, what Preset did you choose?)

As for equipment, there should not be any reason to upgrade, until you want to. Also, newer BD/DVD players can play the DVD-Videos, so no need to worry about your older DVD's. They might even play better, when you do upgrade. Also, newer PAL players and TV's can play NTSC material very well, so long as it is ALL NTSC. The opposite, unfortunately, is not true - NTSC players (might be some rare exceptions) will NOT play PAL DVD-Videos.

At this point, I would guess that there is a mismatch between your footage, and your Project Preset, but without the full details, it will be only a guessing game.

Do not recall if I asked for you to get the free utility, G-Spot, and run one of your AV files through it. If so, I'll see your screen-cap from G-Spot and refresh my memory. If not, please do so, and post a screen-cap of the G-Spot screen. Sorry, if you have, but my memory is just not working well this AM.

We can then match up your Project Preset and that footage, and probably get you smoother material. Here's hoping, at least.

Good luck,

Hunt

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt - Edited first sentence, as OP is in Europe.

• 9. Re: Jerky pictures in DVD through Premiere Elements 1
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

The Project Preset is done when you choose New Project. You will want PAL DV (and can choose Standard 4:3, or Widescreen 16:9, depending on what your camera shoots in). As you seem to have 29.97 fps, you have accidentally chosen an NTSC DV Preset. You will need to probably go to a drop-down menu (do not know PrE 1, so do not know exactly where it is located), and choose that Preset. Be sure to check your footage (G-Spot, recommended above will do this for you), to see if it is 4:3, or 16:9, i.e. Standard, or Widescreen. Please let us know what G-Spot reports, as that info can be very useful.

Then, you can edit your Project (as a PAL), and will very likely have few issues.

Good luck, and thank you for your patience.

Hunt

• 10. Re: Jerky pictures in DVD through Premiere Elements 1
                            Gwyg Level 1

I live in Sweden, the land of ABBA, ice and PAL. I should thank you for your patience as you're the one helping me :-)

I will have to try Gspot tomorrow as I need to leave the computer for now. No, you haven't asked me to do that before so nothing's wrong with your memory...

I didn't choose any presets for the project but I'll attach a jpeg to show you what happens when I start a new project. As you can see, I can't really make changes as those presets are blocked

• 11. Re: Jerky pictures in DVD through Premiere Elements 1
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Interesting, as the DV NTSC is grayed out. Now, I wonder if under Edit>Preferences, you can set your Projects "globally" to DV PAL. If your camera is a European model, it should be recording in PAL, and that is what you want. I just do not know PrE 1.0, so someone else might have to help you out there. I'd first check F1 (Help) to see what they say about PAL Project settings.

Here is a look at the Project Presets in PrE 4.0, so you can see what I am talking about:

PrE_Project_Presets_01.jpg

Not sure how much that helps in PrE 1.0, but you can see the settings.

Having PAL (25 fps) in an NTSC Project can cause all sort of playability issues. That is a very likely place for your problems to stem from.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Jerky pictures in DVD through Premiere Elements 1
                                Gwyg Level 1

I recognise that jpeg you put, but only since I use Premiere Pro 4 at work a little (nothing advanced, and I need flv files there, no DVDs). I wander if it would be possible to copy the project with all movie clips into the other computer nad try to choose there PAL.

I guess I could make a little test of making a project with only one short clip and see if it works.

If it does, I'll be glad to write it here.

• 13. Re: Jerky pictures in DVD through Premiere Elements 1
                                  Gwyg Level 1

Gave up the Premiere Pro. I've never tried to make DVD with that. I see. it's not the same as in PE1. Tried to export to DVD but didn't succedd with menus.

• 14. Re: Jerky pictures in DVD through Premiere Elements 1
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I cannot directly answer that question. Now, I have Opened PrE 4 Projects (no Themes, or Instant Movies) in PrPro 2.0, with no problems. If a simple Open does not work, then you might be able to Import the .PREL (the Project file), into a New Project. CS4 is a new departure in PrPro, in that one does not set the Project Preset to globally affect all Sequences in it, but instead, can set each Sequence's Preset to match the source footage.

Now for the caveats: if I was going to do this, I would Copy over the entire Project's folder structure to the external. Note: the drive letter, that PrE references will very likely change, when you do this. What will happen is the Assets will no longer be where PrE last saw them. Depending on the folder structure, this might be easy to "fix," or it might take some navigating. When PrE, or PrPro cannot find the linked Assets, it will ask, "where is file xxxx.AVI?" The user can then go and locate that file. If the folder structure is the same, just navigate to the proper folder, and choose that file. The program will then look in that folder and automatically establish new links to ALL Assets in that folder. If there are more needed Assets in other folders, it'll ask again, and the user just navigates to the new folder. Again, when the missing file is linked, the program will search that folder and link to all Assets in the Project. Keep repeating this process, until all Assets are re-linked with their new location. At that point, the Project will Open. I would do a Save_As, maybe incrementing the Project name, to say XXXXXX_01. This keeps the original Project untouched, and you are editing the new version with the new links and location.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - in my testing, PrPro 2.0 cannot Open, or Import, a PrE 8 Project. I do not know how well, or how poorly, CS4 would work with PrE 1.0 Projects, as I have never tested this.

• 15. Re: Jerky pictures in DVD through Premiere Elements 1
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

With all versions of PrPro, after 2.0, one MUST use Encore for ALL authoring tasks. PrPro 2.0 had a very simple authoring module built in, which is something like the authoring function in PrE. Now, Encore is a full-featured authoring app., with its own Adobe forum. It is a wonderful program, but unlike PrE, one has to do everything by hand. Nothing is automatic, or even semi-automatic. Still, with that extra work come extreme power. There is very little that the DVD-specs allow, that Encore cannot do, one way or the other. I love that program!

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: Jerky pictures in DVD through Premiere Elements 1
                                        Gwyg Level 1

I'm glad to say that problem is solved!!! I was sure that the field option should be either interlace or deinterlace, with or without reverse field dominance. But I was wrong. Yesterday test was to try instead Flicker removal, and that did the trick.....

I thought of reinstalling PE1 and see if perhaps it's there I could change presets to PAL (not that I had high expectations), but appearently no problems with the presets.

I would like to thank you a lot for making a real effort in helping out. You gave some good information and I really appreciate your efforts and time.

Thanks a lot,

Gil

• 17. Re: Jerky pictures in DVD through Premiere Elements 1
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Gil,

That is great news!!! Glad that everything is working well for you now. Thank you for your patience, as we tried all sorts of stuff.

Thanks for reporting and happy editing,

Hunt