Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

TOC Slow to Appear

New Here ,
Feb 19, 2010 Feb 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Using RH8 publishing to WebHelp. Have a number of merged projects. When the help site is launched in browser,the top menu bar and content area appear immediately, but takes about 7-10 seconds for the TOC to appear. Is this normal? I checked off and set "Synchronize Table of Contents" to "Automatically" and have speed optimized for Local PC or Intranet. Not sure if maybe my settings are not correct.

Any way to make TOC appear sooner?

Also, while I think of it, what is the difference between the Navigation Pane Preferred Format being set to "DHTML > Pure HTML" or just "Pure HTML" ?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 19, 2010 Feb 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I believe you will see a difference if you re-generate the output and change the speed option from Local PC to the opposite setting. With Local PC, you are forcing the TOC to fully download before it's presented. This is likely causing the delay. The opposite setting causes the TOC to be loaded in smaller segments so it appears to load faster. The problem with that approach is that the synchronization may not work straight away because you may link to a second or third level topic that loads and tries to synchronize before its segment has arrived.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mar 17, 2010 Mar 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing the same latency in the TOC, but I am generating AIR Output from RoboHelp 8.  Can you tell me if there are comparable settings to adjust in the AIR settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2010 May 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just an update, changing from "Local PC or Intranet" to "Website (Internet)" reduced the TOC load time from about 8 seconds to 4 seconds. Still doesn't appear instantaneous like on my other RoboHelp sites that do not have merged projects, but suppose 4 seconds isn't too bad and will have to live with unless there's some other further settings to speed it up.

The TOC from my previous site with the same number of merged projects and topics loaded instantly but we were then publishing to RoboHelp Server, so guess that would be one solution....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp