6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2010 3:22 PM by the_wine_snob

PE8: Misalignment & Misplaced Video Snippet

TargetGiftCardsRUs

Hey all,

Looking for some help on a couple problems.  First, I'm working on some projects that deal with precision in the alignment process, and I can't figure out to get it quite the same in the editing program as it is in the post-preview program (i.e. Windows Media Player, QuickTime Player, etc.).  The Monitor window doesn't seem to work properly in the Adobe Premiere Elements 8; here is a screenshot of what I am talking about:

Picture1.jpg

(When an object is selected within the preview)

Picture2.jpg

(When everything is deselected from within the preview) - Notice the double image at the top of the preview; this top bar remains frozen during playback inside Premiere Elements 8.  It keeps the same image at the top until the user selects something within the preview again, and then it updates to a new still shot.

Here is my second issue with the program: a misplaced scrap of video that randomly appears once published and played in an external program, such as Windows Movie Maker:

Picture3.jpg

(When played in Windows Media Player on Windows Vista)

The bar in front of the man on the left isn't supposed to be there.  You can compare this snapshot to one of the two screenshots listed above.  It is the same moment in time, but the bar isn't visible when it's played back within Premiere Elements 8.  I've also attempted to publish this movie into QuickTime format to see if the problem was contained within Windows Media Player, but the same problem also occurred.

Any ideas or troubleshooting recommendations would be greatly appreciated.  We're very upset with Adobe Customer Service for this product specifically, and thought we would give the forums a try instead.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: PE8: Misalignment & Misplaced Video Snippet
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It's hard to say what's going on because I'm not sure what your video is SUPPOSED to look like. Should it really look like a split screen of two different videos? Is that your issue?

Two things:

1) Go to the Window drop-down menu and select Restore Workspace. Then right-click on your video in the Monitor panel and set Magnification to Fit. Does that help things fit in your Monitor more accurately?

2) What type of camcorder is this video coming from? If this is from a non-standard video source (something other than a tape-based or AVCHD camcorder) it's possible that it's imcompatible with the program and you will need to convert it. Also, are you using a project preset that matches your source video?

• 2. Re: PE8: Misalignment & Misplaced Video Snippet
            TargetGiftCardsRUs Level 1

Hi,

The video is supposed to be split; the problem lies at the top, where there is a doubled image.

The first step unfortunately didn't help, but here is my camera info:

Kodak M1033 HD

It records into QuickTime format, in this case standard definition.  What format would you recommend setting the project preset to for this type of video?

If I must convert the video into a different format before working with it inside Premiere Elements 8, what format would you recommend?

• 3. Re: PE8: Misalignment & Misplaced Video Snippet

You definitely want to convert the video from the camera to DV-AVIs before you bring it into Premiere Elements!

Quicktime Pro (which sells for $29) is your absolutely best tool for this. There are also free tools that may work -- like Super and Prism.

More information on these programs and how to use them can be found in the FAQs to the right of this forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

• 4. Re: PE8: Misalignment & Misplaced Video Snippet
                TargetGiftCardsRUs Level 1

I've converted the original video into AVI codec (using Premiere Elements 8), but I'm not sure whether the random video snippet problem will return until I begin working with the video again, and the second problem is still there.  (I don't want to waste time working with the AVI codec video all over again that I've already edited previously since I still have the alignment problem.)  There is still a frozen bar at the top of the monitor preview (even when working with this new AVI file).  Is it supposed to be there?  Any other ideas?

• 5. Re: PE8: Misalignment & Misplaced Video Snippet

I don't think using Premiere Elements to convert the file will solve your problem.

You need to use a conversion program that can read the MOV codec of your original file and convert it to a DV-AVI.

• 6. Re: PE8: Misalignment & Misplaced Video Snippet
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree with Steve, that Apple's QuickTime Pro (a US$29 upgrade/unlock) is a good MOV & MP4 converter. One just chooses the AVI and the DV/DVC CODEC. Do not recall if there is even need to plug-in the Audio specs. I think that PCM/WAV (Uncompressed) 48KHz 16-bit is the default, but check me out on that.

Good luck,

Hunt