7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2010 12:56 PM by jj450

Opening PC projects on a Mac

jj450

Apologies if this has been asked before but I can't find the answer.

I recently moved to a Mac based system and have several project files (.prproj) created on a PC.  I now want to finish them on my Mac but am unable to open them.  Is there a way to do this or must I find a PC running Premiere Pro to finish them off?  I no longer have a PC version.

Both systems are/ were running Premiere Pro CS4.

Many thanks

Duncan

• 1. Re: Opening PC projects on a Mac
          Harm Millaard Level 7

There is a common wisdom that says: Finish your projects in the version you started with.

I  think this is even more important when changing platforms.

• 2. Re: Opening PC projects on a Mac
            jj450 Level 1

That is very good advice, Harm.

Unfortunately that is not really an option for me.

• 3. Re: Opening PC projects on a Mac
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Unfortunately I have no suggestions how to solve this if you no longer have a PC to finish your project. Sorry.

• 4. Re: Opening PC projects on a Mac
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Duncan,

There are two ways to get a Project into PrPro. The first is to just Open the Project, and the second is to choose New Project, assign the matching Preset and then Import that other Project into the new one. Have you tried both methods?

Also note, there are many Transitions and Effects in the PC version, that do not exist in the Mac version. This THREAD will give you an idea of the differences.

Might be of zero help to you, but I've opened older Mac Projects into PrPro on the PC. Where there were Transitions that did not exist in my version, PrPro gave me a nice little dialog screen, telling me the exact spot that the Transition would be missing, and what it was named in the Mac Project. I just jotted down the location of each one, then navigated to those spots, when the Project Opened, and replaced the offending Transitions with Cross-Dissolves. Seems that there were three, with one being an Adobe Transition that had been removed, or maybe never in the PC version, and the other two were 3rd party Transitions, that I just did not have. Do not recall if I got any messages on Effects, but think that there was one missing. Do not recall the details now, but the Projects all Opened fine. I did not even have to Import them, like I recommended above. All else played perfectly.

Good luck, and let us know if the Import Project helps,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Opening PC projects on a Mac
                  jj450 Level 1

Bill

Thanks for your helpful reply.

Sadly neither of your methods worked but it did give me an idea.  I installed an old copy of Premiere Pro onto my Parallels Windows disk and opened them from there.  They appear to have been created in CS3 and required converting to CS4 compatability.  Then I was able to save them to a different name and open them on the Mac.

So, I seem to have got around the problem.  I note what Harm said with regard to finishing all projects in the version they were started from - and it is good advice.  Thank you Bill for the time you took to try to help me.  I am more than a little relieved that I managed to work out a solution.

All the best

Duncan

• 6. Re: Opening PC projects on a Mac
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Duncan,

The important thing is that you are editing. Usually, CS3 Projects will open in CS4 with few problems - it is not so for the other way around though. Still, there can be some issues.

Because PrPro dropped off the Mac from version 1.0 thru 2.0, there have been issues there. For instance, a PrPro 1.0 Project usually opens fine in PrPro 2.0 (PC-only), or in the PC version of CS3 on the PC, but not on the Mac. One has to first Open in CS3 on a PC, and allow for the conversion, then Save as a CS3 Project, which WILL now Open on a Mac with CS3. Sometimes, I have to "count versions," before trying to help, as there are some "holes" in the system.

Just glad that got the Project Opened. Harm's advice is good, but sometimes things just do not work out that way. Still, where possible...

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Opening PC projects on a Mac
                      jj450 Level 1

Hunt

You are right, of course.

Thank you very much for your help.

All the best

Duncan