7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2010 3:40 PM by Koscieliska

Two problems with Elements 8: jerking and dividing audio

Koscieliska

1. Jerking

After importing video to Element 8 project, when viewing the project there is an occasional 'jerk' of image caused by couple of frames being out of place. It is not related to my camera (Sony HDR-XR200) because when I import video from the camera to PC and then watch it as AVCHD file everything is OK. Jerking begins only after importing into Elements 8 project. When I zoom on the problem area in the timeline I clearly can see couple of frames with rapid change of movement before everything comes back to normal. Why?

2. Dividing audio

When I add an additional clip and there already is audio (music), the audio file splits into two parts. Is this correct?

Andrew

• 1. Re: Two problems with Elements 8: jerking and dividing audio
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Andrew,

Lets start with the specs. on your computer. The more detail the better.

Next, are all of the Clips AVCHD. I assume that these were Copied from the camera to the computer's HDD (Hard Disk Drive), and then Imported into PrE 8 with Get Media>Files and Folders. Is that correct? Is your camera set to record DD 5.1 SS Audio?

Exactly what Project Preset did you choose?

When you say that the Clip suddenly has Frames "with rapid change of movement before everything comes back to normal," can you explain what you mean. Has the speed of the video file been increased here? When you step through this area, one Frame at a time, have the Frames been altered noticeably, or can you only see this alteration, when you playback the footage? If you can see it in the Frame-by-Frame, can you post a screen-cap of one of the good Frames nearby, and one of the bad frames for us to see? Hint: use the little "camera" icon in the lower-middle of the Toolbar to attach the screen-caps.

Now, you say that the Audio is being divided. Is this in the Timeline View Mode, or Sceneline View Mode? When you say "divided," is this that it is being horizontally split into two Clips, or does this mean that it is being placed on a lower Audio Track, besides Audio Track 1? There are big differences.

Can you post a screen-cap of your Timeline, showing how the Audio is being divided?

Thanks for the info and screen-caps and good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Two problems with Elements 8: jerking and dividing audio
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

1. You could have a couple of issues. One, your computer may not be fast enough to edit AVCHD video. Do you have a quad core processor and

4 gigs of RAM? If so then, two, ensure that you are using an AVCHD project preset for your Premiere Elements project. You can see what project settings you are using under the Edit menu -- but you can only change it when you create a new project. A mismatch between your project preset and your source video could well cause the problems you describe.

2. Your timeline is rippling. To override the rippling feature, hold down the Ctrl key as you add new clips to your timeline. All clips already on your timeline will remain in place.

BTW, have you seen my free series of tutorials, Basic Training with Premiere Elements? It could help you with some of these fundamental challenges.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685?tstart=0

1 person found this helpful
            • 4. Re: Two problems with Elements 8: jerking and dividing audio
              Koscieliska Level 1

Bill,

See attached file with response to your questions.

Andrew

• 5. Re: Two problems with Elements 8: jerking and dividing audio
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Andrew,

Your computer should certainly be adequate to handle AVCHD material.

Now, looking at the Video Frames, it almost looks like dropped Frames. When you play back that same file in the camera, do you see anything like what you observe in PrE? Since you are not doing Capture w/ PrE, it seems odd that you would have any dropped Frames, caused by PrE. However, if those exact scenes are good and smooth in camera, something is going on.

As for your splitting of the Audio, it appears that your upper Audio is on maybe Audio Track 2. The Clips are on Video & Audio Tracks 1. Is that correct? From another forum, it was suggested that if one will Target a Track (in your case Video Track 1), unlink any Audio & Video, that Clips on other Tracks, especially Audio, will NOT split. I use PrPro, which has the option to Lock Tracks, so that they are untouched by operations on Unlocked Tracks. PrE does not have such, but one respected poster offered that if one just first selects the Track for the addition/Deletion, the other Tracks would not be affected. He was uncertain if this carried over to the fixed Soundtrack Track, but stated that it worked perfectly when the Audio Clip (lets call it the Music Track) was on one of the other Audio Tracks. Again, I have not tested this, as I just Lock all other Tracks in PrPro, and do not have similar issues. If I can locate that other thread, I'll post a link to it, as there might be useful and important info for you, that I did not pick up on.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Two problems with Elements 8: jerking and dividing audio
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

This is the THREAD from Muvipix. You might want to join in and ask Bob about your specific problem. There could be differences and he might need to go into more detail, but I trust his PrE wisdom, so he should be able to help you specifically.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Two problems with Elements 8: jerking and dividing audio
                    Koscieliska Level 1

Many thanks Bill. I will get in touch with Bob from Muvipix as you suggested. These 'out of order' frames to me look rather like added than dropped frames because they are inserted in the middle of otherwise smooth sequence. The source material in the camera looks OK.

I will follow your advice about splitting audios.

Regards,

Andrew.