16 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2010 12:33 PM by the_wine_snob

Media Offline

John A Mathias Level 1

Hi

I've read a lot of discussions about the "The red screen of Media Offline", in PE7, but I haven't found a permanent solution or fix anywhere in the discussions. Perhaps I've missed it somewhere, but I'd be grateful if someone could direct me to a patch which might eradicate this infuriating glitch in PE7. Thanks in anticipation John Mathias

• 1. Re: Media Offline
          the_wine_snob Level 9

John,

Normally, the Media Offline stems from the user Moving, or Renaming the Assets. This can happen under direct user control, or can happen if say the Assets are on an external, and the OS has changed the drive letter.

When a Project is opened, PrE will check for the Assets, that are linked to the Project. There are NO media files in the Project file - only links to them and instructions on what to do with them.

What is your exact situation? When you Open your Project, does (of did) PrE ask you where the Assets are? This is the normal behavior, when it cannot find the linked Assets. If one choose to Open the Project anyway, and they choose Skip, etc., the files will now be shown as Offline. Other editing can be completed, but one would then want to use a Save_As, or Save_As_a_Copy, and NOT a Save, as the Assets will then appear as Offline, until they are manually re-linked.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - this ARTICLE goes into more details on Save and also what's in the Project file (.prel).

• 2. Re: Media Offline
            John A Mathias Level 1

Thanks Hunt, but I know where my Assets are ()!, but seriously, that's not the problem. None of the files have been moved, and there hasn't been one of those "where is file so and so?" messages on startup, just a load of red "Media Offline" on some edited clips, and most seriously on ALL the unedited clips in my timeline. I've read that right clicking on the clip and unticking the 'enable' option and then re-enabling it does the trick and indeed it does, as I can testify having just done that to about 110 clips. I've loaded and saved and closed this project many times and it's happened twice. I really feel like exporting the bits I've done as avi files, so that I don't have to do this all over again.

I've read of so many people having this problem, it can't just be something I'm doing wrong can it? Yours John

• 3. Re: Media Offline
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, for some reason PrE is loosing your Assets, based on the links in the Project file. I've given you the main reasons that this can happen, but none applies to your case. That means that something odd is happening.

When you do re-link your Assets, and so a Save_As, and then Open that Project file, are the links lost again in that Project?

Where are the Assets stored on your system, an external, a NAS or networked drive?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Media Offline
                John A Mathias Level 1

Thanks for being so patient Hunt. The Assets are stored mostly on a separate (internal) hard disk, a few other files are picked up from My music etc.

I did what you suggested, re-linked all the assets (Ctrl A right click, unticked 'enable' ticked it again and all the Red screens of Media Offline disappeared. Did a 'Save As' with a new filename for the project, closed and re-opened, alas the red screens are back.  Sorry John

• 5. Re: Media Offline
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

John,

Something is messing up your Project file's links. Some PrPro CS4 users have experienced similar with Win7, but it is uncommon.

Have you gotten any OS Read/Write errors, or warnings? When you look in Event Viewer, do you see error, or warning messages in either the System tab, or Applications tab? As the .prel files are just simple XML, they usually do not get corrupted. You might want to Open this one in NotePad, or WordPad and check the links to the Assets. Do things match up, as they should? If you do ANY editing, do not Save out, but do a Save_As from the wordprocessor. Also, you do NOT want any formatting.

Not sure what else to suggest, as I can not imagine where the corruption is coming in. - sorry

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Media Offline
                    jazz-singer

Dear John,

I had a "media offline" problem that was similar that was caused by one corrupted clip in the timeline. Try saving segments of your project as separate projects e.g make a back-up then delete half your project. Reopen the half project and see if the problem occurs. I found with one haly of my project it did, with the other half it didn't. I kep doing this until i found one small clip which I had applied colour correction and a speed change to that was corrupting the project. I removed that and I never had the problem again.

• 7. Re: Media Offline
                      John A Mathias Level 1

Hi Jazz singer

Thanks for the helpful advice, and I think I'd come to that conclusion anyway, and I don't have much choice as I'm half way through an important and what has been a pretty time consuming project. I'd read on other contributions that time-manipulated clips were suspect in this respect, and I've several of those in the project. As an aside, I don't think it's good to provide a device in an application like PE7 that essentially corrupts your project. John

• 8. Re: Media Offline
                        John A Mathias Level 1

Thanks again Hunt, I did as you suggested and looked at the .prel file, but it I really couldn't work out what it meant. What really puzzles me is that this little 'trick' of 'unticking' and 're-ticking' ENABLE on each clip does actually restore the clip and removes the 'Media Offline' message, so it obviously still knows where the assets are! I think I'll have to do the Enabling trick each time I work on this project and save sections as exported .avi files, and hope I don't have this problem with the next project. John

• 9. Re: Media Offline
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

John,

Depending on where you are in your Project, Exporting/Sharing portions of it as DV-AVI Type II's (for an SD Project), and then Importing those DV-AVI's w/ all Effects, etc., would be a good workflow. You can limit the Export/Share with the WAB (Work Area Bar), creating a DV-AVI for each "segment."

As others seem to have similar issues, it would be great to find the exact cause, and then the easiest possible "cure."

Good luck, and please update the thread with anything that you uncover, as it will definitely help others in the future.

Hunt

• 10. Re: Media Offline
                            John A Mathias Level 1

Bill

I've done exactly as you suggested and I now have the project running very well again with large chunks of DV avi imported. As to the cause, one thing that happened a while back, but after I'd started this project, was that I had a major motherboard failure and had to do a partial rebuild, re-installing Windows XP, but retaining the original HDDs. The strange thing is that the project ran perfectly for a couple of months until last week when the "Media Offline" screens started. Anyway, it's OK now. Thanks for all your help and advice, John

• 11. Re: Media Offline
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

John,

The main thing is that you are back to editing. I hope that this does not crop up again, as it did this once. Thanks for reporting.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Media Offline
                                bfhmeijer

Hi John,

I ran into the same problem with premiere pro cs3, and found your disable/enable solution very helpful. Just if you run into this problem again: you can select all clips and then do the disable/enable trick at once, that also works. Unless you have some disabled clips, as they will be enabled after this action.

Thanks for your info!

best regards,

Bart

• 13. Re: Media Offline
                                  bfhmeijer Level 1

I figured out what my problem was....one of the clips of the timeline was played reverse (Speed/Duration->reverse speed). After removing that setting, the problems seems gone.

• 14. Re: Media Offline
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

For the Reverse, if you are having a problem with it, you might want to do a separate Project and use ONLY that problem Clip. Apply the Reverse to it, and Share/Export that to an appropriate format, say DV-AVI for an SD Project. Then, Import THAT resultant file into your main Project.

I also like the free, Lagarith Lossless CODEC, for intermediate files.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Media Offline
                                      John A Mathias Level 1

Just for the record, the project is finished and burnt to DVD successfully, so all's well, and now I can bore the family to death! Thanks Everybody for all the suggestions. John

• 16. Re: Media Offline
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                                        project is finished and burnt to DVD successfully

Those are wonderful words, indeed, and we're so glad to hear them.

Good luck,

Hunt