7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2010 5:04 AM by the_wine_snob

Video preview is white

HAPPYcatProductions

I'm running Premiere Elements 8 and working on a video, but the video preview window (positioned on the upper left of the screen by default) is stuck in a perpetual white mode.  If I enable the safe margins, they show up but no video content displays in the box.  However, if I click the video preview window, the clip that is forwardmost in the timeline becomes selected and I can see it (when it is selected, I can scale it and move it around, because it's altering the motion properties of that clip).  The minute I try to play the video within the editor, the window returns to white.

I've attached a screenshot to show you what I'm talking about.

So does anybody have any ideas regarding what is happening?  Restarting the program hasn't corrected it, and therea re no updates.

• 1. Re: Video preview is white
          the_wine_snob Level 9

First, please give us the complete details of your source Video files. That could be the key.

Second, please tell us about your video card, and especially the driver number and date. That could be another key.

That info will be very helpful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Video preview is white
            the_wine_snob Level 9

You might want to take a look at this ARTICLE. It has some very general tips on video display issues.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Video preview is white
              HAPPYcatProductions Level 1

Before I start, I can't see how drivers, source video file details or my hardware could be relevent here because none of them have changed since the last time I used the program.

Video is two different resolutions: 840x524 and 1360x768.  They're video that was captured in real-time from video games using a program called Fraps.  The reason why I don't think this is relevent is because the display is white whether I have anything in the timeline or not.  I could have a blank project with absolutely no media in it at all and the display is white.

I have a gaming laptop running an nVidia G94, which utilizes three video cards: a single GeForce 9400 when in low-power mode and two GeForce 9800's when running in high power mode.  The driver is 195.81.  It shouldn't be because the drivers aren't officially supported for the G94, but the only place that provides drivers hasn't updated them in over a year and a half.  It's either I use old drivers that will prevent certain games from working or I modify the INF of the newest nVidia driver to recognize that I am running two 9800s and a 9400.  This has never been an issue in the entire five or six months I've been using it.  I've been running Premiere for close to three months and this is the first time I've encountered this issue.

[e] I'm trying the newest nVidia drivers, 196.34, and will report my findings.

• 4. Re: Video preview is white
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                Before I start, I can't see how drivers, source video file details or my hardware could be relevent here because none of them have changed since the last time I used the program.

Well, a simple OS update, or hot-fix can render a video driver totally obsolete. NLE's, like PrE work much more closely with the video driver, than will most programs, like a simple player, as they have to edit the footage.

If you know that it's not your system, or your source footage, then it has to be a Bug in the program. This is where you file a Bug Report. However, Adobe will need all of the info that was asked for, so please provide it to them, so that they can replicate the problem in the lab, and then go about fixing the Bug.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Video preview is white
                  Paul787 Level 3

By chance have you adjusted some of the image properties like hue/saturation or brightness? If brightness is set to 100% (which by default should be set at 0%) your clips will look like that all the while still displaying the video normally in Preview. 'Brightness' may now be called 'lightness' in PRE8 as some of the terminology has changed.

Also, try importing another clip or image into the project and see if it does the same thing.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Video preview is white
                    HAPPYcatProductions Level 1

Well, the driver update did it.  Works like a charm now.  But now I can't plug a VGA cable in and switch to an external display... :shrugs: I'll deal with that another day.

Thanks for the help!

• 7. Re: Video preview is white
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that the driver update did the trick. That is the most "usual" of suspects.

Now, since PrE is not a 3D program, it becomes a tightrope, when one has things like SLI, or Crossfire, for gaming on a machine used for editing. Advanced gaming and Video editing just do not play nice with each other, unfortunately.

Good luck,

Hunt