8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2010 4:53 AM by the_wine_snob

Audio effects not working

sydhsydh Level 1

I am trying to insert audio effects but the APPLY button is grey, and drag and drop does not work. I have searched the forum and there was just one post that seemed to state that audio effects will not work with 5.1. I have a new AVCHD cam so clearly the main reason I upgraded to APE8 was for the new format, including 5.1 audio. I find it difficult to believe that 5.1 is is included in this version but Audio filters are unavailable. Is this really true?

• 1. Re: Audio effects not working
          the_wine_snob Level 9

I do not know the workings of PrE 8, but in PrPro, there are three sets of Audio Effects, Mono, Stereo and 5.1. Some Effects are in all three groups, but many are only in one.

What is your intended delivery scheme/format? As PrE cannot Export/Encode DD 5.1 SS (must be mixed-down to stereo/2-channel), you might be better off converting the Audio, prior to Import. Another option would be to use an Audio editor, that handles multi-channel source, apply all Effects there, and then do the mix-down to 2-channel. I use Adobe Audition for this (though my PrPro will Export/Encode to DD 5.1 SS with the SurCode plug-in). I am not sure if/how the free Audio editor, Audacity does with multi-channel source files - never tried it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Audio effects not working
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You must select both the clip on the timeline and the effect in order for the Apply button to become active.

Are both the clip on the timeline and the effect highlighted?

• 3. Re: Audio effects not working
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

Does PrE 8 differentiate between Audio Effects by channel-number, like PrPro does?

Thanks,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Audio effects not working
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Not that I'm aware of, Hunt.

Every effect should apply to any audio clip.

• 5. Re: Audio effects not working
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

Thank you for that info. In PrE 4, they are all just grouped into Audio, but PrE 8 has added more support for different Audio formats/channels, so I did not know if Adobe had grouped them by the source's channel count, like in PrPro. I did not want to point the OP to some spot that might have been moved, or drastically changed.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Audio effects not working
                    sydhsydh Level 1

I was highlighting both the timeline clip and the effect but the apply button remains grey. This is the case with every single audio effect. My export will be to HDD for playing via media extender, therefore keeping 5.1 would have been nice for the A/V system. Knocking it all back to stereo seems a great shame and defeats the object of having 5.1 on the cam. All this because the wind noise filter on the cam is rubbish and it won't take an external mike. I have never tried extracting the audio to other software such as Audacity. Is it straight forward and will there be aby sync problems afterward?

• 7. Re: Audio effects not working
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, regardless of delivery scheme/format, PrE cannot encode DD 5.1 SS. Without a US$250 plug-in, CS4 PrPro cannot do this.

Actually, it does not take most videographers long, before they realize that the on-camera DD 5.1 SS is a bad marketing ploy. To record effective 5.1, one needs six well-designed, well-placed mics, a multi-track recorder w/ mixer and a skilled audio tech. The on-camera mics usually pick up tons of signals that are not wanted. Just having 6 mics does not yield good 5.1 Audio. Instead, they pick up the cameraman's clothes flapping in the breeze, the voices of people well behind the camera, every bit of wind and traffic well off-camera. Few continue to use it, because the Audio ends up being so very poor. They quickly switch back to stereo.

I use DD 5.1 SS a lot, but "create" it with usually 1 stereo source and 5 mono sources, or 6 mono sources. I have complete control over my sound stage and do "knockout" 5.1 Audio, but it takes time, equipment and for me, the SurCode DD 5.1 SS plug-in. I also do some music tracks in DTS, but that is another SurCode encoder, and some extra work in Encore to get that onto a DVD-Video as a supplemental Audio stream. When you hear it though, you will feel that the time and the US$350 encoder are well worth it all.

I wish that I had experience with exactly how PrE 8 handles the DD 5.1 SS Audio source files, but I do not. I can only speak in generalities, based on other Adobe NLE programs - each with a DD 5.1 SS encoder.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Audio effects not working
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        I have never tried extracting the audio to other software such as Audacity. Is it straight forward and will there be aby sync problems afterward?

As for the ripping of Audio from a DD 5.1 SS source file, I use Adobe Audition in Multi-track Mode. I know that Audacity can do multi-track, but have never used it. I would guess that it is pretty straight forward, as one would just Open the AV file, and Audacity should extract the multi-channel stream, placing it into a multi-track Session. However, I just do not know from personal experience.

When I have DD 5.1 SS source material, it is provided to me as either 6 discrete mono WAV files, or a WMA with the 6 mono channels enclosed. These are provided by professional sound crews, using very special equipment, so they can hand off exactly what I request.

Sorry that I cannot help with Audacity and multi-channel source material. I know that Steve Grisetti has done a lot of work with Audacity, and has even written several tutorials on it, which are on Muvipix, but do not know if he's ripped DD 5.1 SS with it.

Good luck,

Hunt