6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2010 8:18 PM by Todd_Kopriva

Video Composite Help

pcjones78

Hi

I have two sources of the one video clip, one has a great picture quality but the image is cropped on all sides, the other source is the full image but the picture quality is not as good, could somebody maybe post a guide or tell me where to find one to compoite these two films into one seamlessly?

Paul

• 1. Re: Video Composite Help
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
          could somebody maybe post a guide or tell me where to find one to compoite these two films into one seamlessly?

1. Import them into AE
          2. Select both in teh project window
          3. Drag&drop onto the New Comp icon in the PW
          4. Set options to suit
          5. Select the cropped layer
          6. Double-click the rectancular maks/ shape tool
          7. Hit MM (two times M in short sequence)
          8. Adjust Feather

Before all this, check your footgat interpretation. If it uses fields, then only one field at a time is visible, effectively reducing vertical resolution. You may have no problem at all with your files, you are just viewing the in an unsuitable manerr - on the computer.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Video Composite Help
            pcjones78 Level 1

Thanks, this is probably simple to do but how can I see both movies on the one screen so i can line them up, and also how can I trim the sides off one movie?

Thanks again

• 3. Re: Video Composite Help
              pcjones78 Level 1

One more thing sorry

I need to adjust the size of the cropped layer slightly on nearly every frame, how do i render each frame separately so i can do this?

• 4. Re: Video Composite Help
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant
                how can I see both movies on the one screen so i can line them up

I don't follow. If you use the method I described, they are both aligned centered. You just need to stack them correctly. You may nudge the cropped version into place using the arrow keys. You can temporarily reduce the opacity of the layer to do that.

and also how can I trim the sides off one movie?

Masks.

I really suggest you read the help and familiarize yourself with AE's principles and terminology or you'll be forever lost in this.

Mylenium

• 5. Re: Video Composite Help
                  pcjones78 Level 1

Hi

I went away and learned to apply masks and keyframes and I can now synch up the two sources, the only problem is the cropped layer in front has far better picture quality as the full layer is kind of grainy and the colour is washed out so you can tell it is from two sources, is there any way to fix the full layer so they match up better.

Thanks

• 6. Re: Video Composite Help
                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Post an example image so that we can see exactly how the images don't match up. Otherwise, we're flying blind and can't help much.

The first thing that spring to mind, though, is to make sure that you're feathering your masks to blend the images together.