8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2010 3:57 PM by Jacob Bugge

punch shape with stroke

lazlo Level 1

Hi,

I've created a flower by making petals and rotating copies. The flower take up the whole of my artboard. Each petal had a really heavy white stroke, which causes a nice visual separation between petals. Now i need to scale down the flower....stroke now wrong, Is their a way to sudtract the stroke from the fill, so it will visually look the same, but will work on any background colour, without having to recolour the stroke?

..advice gratefully appreciated.

• 1. Re: punch shape with stroke
          Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Lazlo,

It sounds as if you have Edit>Preferences>General>Scale Strokes & Effects unticked. If you tick it, the Stroke Weight will scale down with the petals.

If you wish to remove the stroke from the petals, and if the petals are separate, you may:

1) Select everything and Object>Path>Outline Stroke;

2) Select each petal with the Compound Path formed from the stroke and Pathfinder Minus Front (Subtract from shape area in older versions, remember to hold Alt/Option to expand).

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: punch shape with stroke

Lazlo,

Sorry, too slow in writing.

The addition was to get rid of the white.

• 3. Re: punch shape with stroke
              lazlo Level 1

Thanks for the input, but I st

ill have the problem of the stroke still existing, sould the artwork be placed on a coloured back ground...is there any way to subtract teh stroke from the fill so I have a gap between petals that is currently made by using white stroke on white background?

many thanks

• 4. Re: punch shape with stroke

Lazlo,

You may use 1) - 2) in the first post, which I added too slowly. When you outline the stroke it will form a separate compound path which to be subtracted from the underlying petal which will then become smaller.

If the petals overlap, you will have to remove underlying petal parts first. You may do that by:

-1) Create copies of all petals (with strokes) that overlap other petals where you need to cut off the overlap;

0) Select each petal to be cut (easiest starting with the bottommost one) and the bottommost of the overlapping petals and Pathfinder>Minus Front (as in 2).

To repeat, that is followed by:

1) Select everything and Object>Path>Outline Stroke;

2) Select each petal with the Compound Path formed from the stroke and Pathfinder Minus Front (Subtract from shape area in older versions, remember to hold Alt/Option to expand).

That should leave you with cut petals having strokes so that you may cut away the strokes as described in 1) - 2), and get the cut petals with gaps in between.

• 5. Re: punch shape with stroke
                  lazlo Level 1

many thanks...giving it a go now....

Best wishes,

Lazlo

• 6. Re: punch shape with stroke

You are welcome, Lazlo. Please report back so we shall know whether it works.

• 7. Re: punch shape with stroke
                      lazlo Level 1

...yes, worked a treat, attached a screen grab of results.

thanks again,

lazlo

• 8. Re: punch shape with stroke

Very nice, Lazlo.