8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2010 8:35 PM by the_wine_snob

Color Correction Advice Needed

Mesmer3001 Level 1

Hi all -

Below is a screen shot that is typical of my sequence:

Color Correction Problem.png

I've applied the Three-Way Color Corrector and have been able to make minor adjustments here and there, but my main concern is the washed-out front man. I can't seem to bring any detail back into his face, front of his shirt, etc. I think I've adjusted every available control in the color corrector; just probably not in the right combination.

Any advice on how to deal with this?

Thanks.

Ed

• 1. Re: Color Correction Advice Needed
          shooternz Level 6

Loss of image detail due to over exposure is difficult to fix due the fact that there is no detail to work with.

Only advice I can offer is to remove any/all CC you have already applied then apply Levels and get what detail is available to you.  Then apply CC s you wish.

Always apply levels first before CC / Grading.

• 2. Re: Color Correction Advice Needed
            kishoreda-RrOFau Level 1

Give this a try :

Double layer it , then bring the brightness a bit down, add the effect "sharpen" , increase the sharpen a bit , place it on top of the original layer and play with opacity maybe around %30 or so and see.

• 3. Re: Color Correction Advice Needed
              Mesmer3001 Level 1

Thanks, both suggestions helped a bit. Reducing the levels was a good start. I had to be really conservative with the sharpness effect, but I think it did add some definition.

Screen shot 2010-02-21 at 10.54.05 PM.png

Still have some tweaking to do, but I think I'm on the right track.

Thanks again.

Ed

• 4. Re: Color Correction Advice Needed
                shooternz Level 6

Looks to me as if you could take the highlights down a little more still.

... and if you are using kishoredas double layer trick...try the blend modes instead  of just opacity.

There are sometimes other ways to save shots by overlay techniques eg ...other images on top of your "problems".  especially for a music vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJXflieyDCs

• 5. Re: Color Correction Advice Needed
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with Craig's suggestion, I would also apply Shadow & Highlight, BUT make sure to uncheck Auto - you do NOT want that! Adjust, after the Levels, and be prepared to go back to Levels (not Auto Levels), for some tweaks. Note: the order of many Effects will have totally different effects on your footage. I recommend Levels first, and then Shadow & Highlight, but do not be afraid to switch those tow. After you are done, then the 3-Way Color Correction would be my next step, with maybe Neat Video to remove some noise. Be aware that Neat Video WILL up your Export times. Keep going back and making tweaks. Also, a calibrated NTSC (or PAL) CRT monitor, hooked up via FireWire and a pass-through device, will be your best test. Program Monitor is but an emulation.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Color Correction Advice Needed
                    kishoreda-RrOFau Level 1

What I meant was double layer it, then don't touch the origina layer ,  do the following to the copy layer :

1.Bring the brightness down  of the copy layer

2.Aapply "Shapen" effect to the copy layer and increase the sharpen to get more details of the image

3. Place the copy layer above the original layer and playe around with opacity of it and see !

• 7. Re: Color Correction Advice Needed
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

To fight blown out highlights, some editors use a dupe Clip above, and do corrections to that, then work with Blending Modes and also Opacity.

Hope that this helps, but when highlights are this blown out, it becomes difficult to rebuild them - sorry.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Color Correction Advice Needed
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

I think that you will want to do a bit more to that dupe layer. See my recs. for Highlight & Shadow and be very sure that you turn OFF Auto.

Good luck,

Hunt