7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2010 9:40 AM by Basher B

Problem capturing from DV camcorder using Elements 3

Basher B

I have stopped being able to capture form my Digital video camera. I have captured 2 tapes via my firewire but now cant capture. I can control the video camera from premier but it doesn't capture either video or audio. Would greatly appreciate any help as I have 6 hours of video from our holiday in indochina to edit.

• 1. Re: Problem capturing from DV camcorder using Elements 3
          Paul787 Level 3

What type of camera are you using? It may be a setting in your camera is interfering.

In the interim, you can try using the free WinDV capture program and see if you can capture with it. Many posters here, myself included, prefer using  WindDV for our capture as it names clips according to the date and time of the clips which is very useful when working on a large project. If you're interested in trying it, you can get the program here:

http://windv.mourek.cz/

Be sure to post back if you still experience difficulties.

• 2. Re: Problem capturing from DV camcorder using Elements 3
            the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, PrE worked fine, for two tapes, but now will not work. You still have device control, but just no Capture.

What changes were made to the computer, either software, or hardware, since the last good Capture?

As a test, if you try to Capture one of those two good tapes (the one you have already Captured), does that work, like it did before?

As Neale asked, knowing a bit more about your camera would be helpful.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

Hunt

• 3. Re: Problem capturing from DV camcorder using Elements 3
              Basher B Level 1

Thanks for the help Bill / Neale.

My camera is a Panasonic NV-GS50.

I have tried capturing with WinDV without success and have also tried

recapturing the previously successful tapes again without success.

I have also tried capturing with Pinnacle to no joy.

I have had a hard drive crash since the last successful capture and managed

to retrieve the situation. I have added a new (second) HD but as this was a

SATA2 device I fitted a Promise SATA-300TX4B to drive it.

I can still get at the two tapes that I previously captured and can work on

them in PrE. but capturing the rest of my video is causing me a lot of

headache??

Hope this gives you a bit more information that you have asked for.

Derek

• 4. Re: Problem capturing from DV camcorder using Elements 3
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Derek,

From your tests, it appears that your computer is now unable to capture from the camera.

When you plug in your camera and turn it on, you do get the Windows "bing-bong" sound, don't you? Does the camera appear in the Taskbar?

IIRC, you CAN control the camera from PrE. That would indicate that Windows IS seeing the camera. If so, then the easiest thing to check, the FW cable itself, seems to be working.

This would indicate that there might be an issue with the camera. Before we rush to that conclusion, let's do a test:

There are several sequences, that one could choose to Capture. Some cameras want things done a particular way, for them to work with the computer. The elements of the sequence are to plug in the camera to the computer. Let's keep that constant. Now, first turn on the camera in Play Mode, then launch PrE, then choose Capture in PrE (the exact name/tab might differ by version) - check. If that does not work, shut down PrE and turn OFF the camera. Next, launch PrE, then turn ON the camera, then start the Capture module - check. If that does not work, shut down PrE and turn OFF the camera. Now, launch PrE, start the Capture module, then turn ON the camera in Play Mode. I cannot think of any other variations on the sequence, but if you can think of a different order, try that.

You do NOT want to make any FW connections with the camera ON, so do NOT do that.

If none works, then it might well point to an issue with the camera, or with the computer's FW connection, or controller chip. At this point, because it's simple and cheap, I'd buy a new cable, and test as above. That will finally rule out the cable. To test the computer, find a friend with a FW connection, and Windows Movie Maker (or iMovie on a Mac), and try to Capture on that computer. If the above sequence tests fail on the new computer, it might be time to take the camera in for repair.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Problem capturing from DV camcorder using Elements 3
                  Basher B Level 1

Thanks Bill

I have now tried a second fw lead and a second video camera through all

combinations and still no joy. My capture card is a Pinnacle card that

captures AV as well as DV. Could something have gone wrong with this??

Derek

• 6. Re: Problem capturing from DV camcorder using Elements 3
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Derek,

Are you feeding your camera through the Pinnacle capture card? If so, you need to feed through the FW port on the computer. The capture card is for analog to digital.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Problem capturing from DV camcorder using Elements 3
                      Basher B Level 1

Bill

My pinnacle capture card has both analogue and 2 no firewire ports on it and

that's how I've captured in the past from the Panasonic camcorder.

I have just gone and bought a 4 pin M/M firewire cable to fit my laptop and

have connected the camera to that . Using Moviemaker on that I have captured

from the camera. All I have to do now is copy it from one machine to the

other. It looks like either the firewire side of the pinnacle has gone down

or I have lost some sort of connection when the PC crashed. I thing I will

go and get a new firewire card and see if that works. Will let you know??

Derek