22 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2010 12:17 PM by the_wine_snob

PRE 8 hangs when I try to open a project

Ruth4225

I have a new HP compute that meets all system requirements for PRE8.  I have created a 3 minute slide show.  I saved it but now can not open it.  It appears that the project is 100% loaded but will not open.  PRE8 hangs every time.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled and rebooted multiple times.

Any thoughts?

• 1. Re: PRE 8 hangs when I try to open a project
          the_wine_snob Level 9

The first thing that I would do is look over the tips in this ARTICLE for getting your computer ready for an editing session.

In the meantime, take a look at this ARTICLE. It outlines the type of information, that will help others troubleshoot your issue, remotely.

Last, how large are your still images in your SlideShow? This ARTICLE will give you some tips and suggestions.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: PRE 8 hangs when I try to open a project
            HDAlf

I have the same problem - bought a brand new computer to run PE8 with Windows 7.  The first time I ran PE8, I could download the video from the HD cam and everything ran fine. I saved the project.  Next time I started it up, PE8 tries to load, then minimizes the icon to the taskbar, and there it stays.  I can not get the window to open and after I try a couple of times, then it disappears, even though the Windows Task Manager tells me PE8 is still running.

From what I can tell looking around in this forum, there are many problems with Windows 7 and PE8.  So what's the deal?  I followed all the other tips I found; i.e., downloaded new video card drivers, etc., and nothing works.  Very disappointed.  I still have a copy of PE7, I guess I'll try that.

Will Adobe come up with a fix for this???

• 3. Re: PRE 8 hangs when I try to open a project
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

A brand new computer that meets the minimal standards for Premiere Elements is not nearly enough. Especially with Premiere Elements 8, which requires at least a dual-core processor running at 2.6 ghz or so and at least 2 gigs of RAM. You'll also need at least 30-50 gigabytes of free, defragmented space on your C drive.

If you're editing video from an AVCHD camcorder, you'll need to double those specs -- a quad core processor with 4 gigs of RAM.

You'll also need to ensure your operating system is up to date -- even if (especially if!) you have a brand new, fresh out of the box computer. Go to Windows Update and get the latest updates -- including the non-critical system updates. Also go to the ATI or nVidia web sites and download the latest drivers and firmware for your graphics card and go to Apple.com and get the latest Quicktime.

If you've got Windows 7 64-bit, you may have some additional challenges because this 64-bit operating system has some unique challenges with this program that will hopefully be resolved wth Windows Updates in the coming 6 months or so.

• 4. Re: PRE 8 hangs when I try to open a project
                HDAlf Level 1

OK, I should have mentioned.  This is a brand-new HP HPE 180t.  It has the fastest Intel processor currently available, the i7 Extreme Edition, 3.3 Ghz.  It has 12 GB of tri-channel, 1066Mhz RAM.  It has dual 10,000 RPM hard disks, and an NVIDIA GeForce GTX260 video card with 2GB of RAM.

So if that isn't enough to process video, I don't know what is!  ;-)  The video is basic HD 720p.  I have been processing it very successfully on my old Dell 8400 with 3 GB of RAM and an old Pentium IV processor; I have made over 100 videos using that machine, with PE4.

I have all the latest Windows 7 updates, drivers, NVIDIA drivers, etc.  So basically PE4 on and old Pentium IV with Windows XP Pro works perfectly, but four versions later, with PE8, on the fastest computer currently available, does not work....

• 5. Re: PRE 8 hangs when I try to open a project
                  nealeh Level 5

Is that the 64 or 32 bit version of XPPro?

When you say it has all the latest drivers did you get them from the manufacturer? Typically Nvidia/ATi (video) Realtek/Creative (sound) will have the newest drivers - more recent that Windows Update / HP.

What background programs are running? Try disabling as much as you can and see if that makes a difference.

Check the FAQ's and Tips sections for more recommendations on optimising your PC for PRE.

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale
                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 6. Re: PRE 8 hangs when I try to open a project
                    HDAlf Level 1

XP Pro on the Pentium is 32 bit.  Windows 7 on the new HP is 64 bit.  Is there a way to run PE8 as 32 bit?

All the drivers came directly from the manufacturer, the latest NVIDIA driver was downloaded and installed from the NVIDIA website.  I typically close all other background programs whenever processing video.

The PE8 splash screen comes up, I see the drivers and things loading as the file names go by in the upper right hand corner of the splash screen, then the PE8 window minimizes on the task bar.  That's it.  Can't open it, it won't maximize, nothing.  All I can do is close it.

Strange that the very first time I ran it, everything worked fine, now every time I try it, whether as a new project or trying to open the existing PE8 project, it doesn't work.

I have gone through the rest of the Adobe help screens and tips but nothing seems to work, thus my last ditch attempt on this forum.  I have a copy of PE7 that was never installed, I may have to try that, is that version more stable?

• 7. Re: PRE 8 hangs when I try to open a project
                      Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Premiere Elements is running in 32-bit mode on Windows 7. It's the 64-bit drivers that are keeping it from performing -- and that's something beyond the scope of the program. It's an operating system issue that hopefully resolve itself once the world catches up with Windows 7 in another 6 months or so.

Meantime, you can try Adobe's latest drivers, per the FAQs to the right of this forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/546435?tstart=0

If that doesn't do it, it just may not go.

You can try Premiere Elements 7 and see if that runs on your system. But I'd make sure I was running a trial first. You certainly don't want to pay for it until you know for sure if it will run on your system.

• 8. Re: PRE 8 hangs when I try to open a project
                        HDAlf Level 1

Thanks for the tip, so far, that seems to work!  I am able to start it, close it, restart it and get my old project back.  Sweet!  thanks for the help!  I'll keep my fingers crossed.......

• 9. Re: PRE 8 hangs when I try to open a project
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Good news!

I would anticipate that Windows will have many of the issues with drivers ironed out, about the time of SP-1.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: PRE 8 hangs when I try to open a project
                            Jez300

Looks like I'm having a similar problem, how on earth do I contact technical support when on the 30 day trial. I'm not buying it just so I can log in and report a fault!

This fault appears to be simialr to:
                            http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/523/cpsid_52386.html
                            "Welcome screen appears but software doesn't fully load - Adobe Premiere Elements 8"

Originally PE8 started up fine and I created a test project to export.
                            Now the PE8 software starts up and I can select my project to load, but the PE8 windows dissapears and remains on the task bar as if minimised. There is no way to get the window back.

My new pc (bought for video editing!):
                            Intel i7 2.8ghz 860 Quad core CPU, Nvidia GT220 graphics card, 4gb memory, 40gb disk free on system disk.
                            Windows 7 Pro 64 bit with video driver updated to 8.17.11.9675 (21/02/2010)

Currently running on PE8 Trial.

* Yes, I have tried removing the latest Nvidia driver and I did get the latest update from the Nvidia website and it is just for my graphics card.

• 11. Re: PRE 8 hangs when I try to open a project
                              the_wine_snob Level 9
                              40gb disk free on system disk

Depending on the size of your "test Project," this could be an issue. Please tell us a bit more about the rest of your computer's I/O sub-system, i.e. the other HDD's, their size, speed, controller type and amount of free space. Also, please tell us where the Project, the media files and the Scratch Disks are located. Could well be a clue there.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: PRE 8 hangs when I try to open a project
                                Jez300 Level 1

Hi Bill,

System disk (drive C) : 37gb free (Intel X25-M solid state 80gb SATA2 disk)

Project drive: 884gb free (SEAGATE 1.5TB Barracuda 7200RPM)

PC motherboard is an Asus P7P55D-E Pro with Intel p55 express chipset (on bord disk controlers used)

Windows 7, 64 bit is a recent install with all updates, Windows expeirence index is 6.5 out of 7.5

example 1:

- I enter PE8

- New Project: "PAL- Hard disk + Memory cards + widescreen"

- PE8 Screen dissapears

example 2:

- load existing test project (2/3 minutes of MPEG2)

- PE8 Screen dissapears

I'm not sure where the scratch disk is currently set to, I need to start project to see the settings which isn't possible right now.

Any ideas welcome.

• 13. Re: PRE 8 hangs when I try to open a project
                                  Jez300 Level 1

For the record I just tried reverting to the original Nvidia GeForce GT220 Driver: version 8.15.11.9045, 6/08/2009.

No luck, I'll install the latest version again now.

• 14. Re: PRE 8 hangs when I try to open a project
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

As a test, can you Move some files, maybe media files off of C:\? Just a guess, but is your Windows Virtual Memory (Page File) set to be dynamically managed, i.e. by Windows, and is it located on your C:\? If so, then that 37GB is probably not enough for both the Page File to expand, and for PrE to create its working files. Also, a HDD will really begin to slow to a crawl at about 75% of capacity, and can even fail, if one tries to use 100% of it.

Just thinking, and good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: PRE 8 hangs when I try to open a project
                                      Jez300 Level 1

Hi there.

Thanks for the advice.

I do have almost 50% of the system drive free and it's not got any large media files on it.

As it's a soild state disk, fragmentation wont be a problem, also it's a new install.

Originally I disabled the paging file (as it's a soild state disk), although due to premiere having troubles I allowed automatic management to the larger disk.

Trying to open a new project shouldn't have any disk space issues?

Regards.

• 16. Re: PRE 8 hangs when I try to open a project
                                        Jez300 Level 1

I really am not sure why. But it's working now?

From memory the last thing I did was re-install the latest drivers after installing the original ones. Hopefully it'll continue working. I also did a complete reboot between every stage (just in case it helps)

I will be checking all future windows updates to make sure the video driver IS NOT updated!

Thanks for your suggestions, now back to working out if I want to buy premiere or not....I'll post a sperate mesasge about this!

• 17. Re: PRE 8 hangs when I try to open a project
                                          GoodBoySteve

I've just started to have this problem today (PRE8 starts to load the project then it disappears to the toolbar) PRE8 is running but I'm unable to open it - again I'm a Windows 7 user.  I've been using my Sony Vaio laptop / Windows 7 / PRE8 for many months now very succesfully - I had a little trouble burning a 1 hour Blu Ray disk but this was identified (by this forum) as an overheating laptop due to blocked airvents.

There have been quite a few Windows automated updates over the last two days which I suspect my have caused the problem (notthing else has been changed on the system since it last worked a coule of days ago).  Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Thanks

Steve

• 18. Re: PRE 8 hangs when I try to open a project
                                            HDAlf Level 1

Once I did the Nvidia update and the 8.01 PE update as recommended by Adobe, I have not experienced any further problems, everything is running great.  So I'd suggest doing your Windows updates and making sure you have the PE 8.01 update and try again?

• 19. Re: PRE 8 hangs when I try to open a project
                                              GoodBoySteve Level 1

Thanks - I have the latest Nvidia drivers, PE8.01, and the latest Windows updates.  I suspect the latest Windows updates over the last 2 days have caused a problem with the Nvidia drivers.  I'll wait a couple of days and see if there's an Nvidia update. 

• 20. Re: PRE 8 hangs when I try to open a project
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

After having done the BD Project, have you cleaned up your HDD's? What amount of free space do you have on each HDD? This behavior can come when one does not have adequate defragmented free space for the program to run and the Project to load. Having the system I/O filled could also explain why things would work before, but not now.

Obviously, the full HDD's is not the only possibility, but jumps to the top of my list, especially with the timing.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 21. Re: PRE 8 hangs when I try to open a project
                                                  GoodBoySteve Level 1

Thanks and good thinking.  However, I checked the state of my hard disk and it was (surprisingly) already defragged - on further investigation Windows 7 does an automatic defrag.  Not sure I'm very keen on Windows doing disk defrags automatically - but, it proberbly solved the problem all by itself as everything now works again properly.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Steve

• 22. Re: PRE 8 hangs when I try to open a project
                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

Great news. So long as things clear up - we can't complain too much. Let us know if something changes and good luck.

Hunt