12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2010 5:51 PM by able123

track matte - garbage matte

Level 4

Hi,

I'm using premiere CS3

I'm trying to get rid of a grip stand that's in my shot on a green screen clip...I did a match move on the green screen ( dolly push in with pan right to talent)

Eventually I want to key out the green and use a 3d model with this clip..

I had a tutorial that showed how to use a track matte (circles created in titler ) to soften a bride's face slightly , without bluring the eyes and mouth...and I can't find it.  Does anyone know where that is? I think it might have been an adobe (sample) tutorial ?

I tried using a garbage matte but there seems to be now way to invert it...I put the garbage matter around the grip stand and tracked it OK but couldn't figure out how to invert it so I get rid of the stand and keep the rest.

I'm just teaching myself how to do this match move stuff using 3D so it's not that important..not for a client or something...but still, any help would be appreciated

Rod

• 1. Re: track matte - garbage matte
          shooternz Level 6

Put the garbage matte around the subject, not the problem ( ie not the stand)

• 2. Re: track matte - garbage matte
            Level 4

Hi shooternz,

Hope you are well...have you read the "island of the day before" by Umberto Eco by any chance ?  You remind me of that story a little...

Like talking to the future !  hehe..

Anyway, enough jokes...Yes, I guess that's about it...now I have a small problem with this thing that you might have an additional idea about...

The talent is shooting a pistol while turning in a full circle on set.... the set is small and tight, and the arm with pistol is going from along side of body to outstretched for every " shot " which happens about every 1/4 turn....like shooting 6 bad guys as she is turning....

set being small at one point the gun goes through the grip arm.  In another spot the pistol goes through some par lights on ceiling.  Pretty sloppy...but it's good practice for me ...this match move stuff...here is link to the clip I " solved " ....using maya

http://www.hollywoodcamerawork.us/greenscreenplates.html

embassy shootout.

Any suggestions on how to deal with those elements crossing ??  Thanks !

Rod

• 3. Re: track matte - garbage matte
              shooternz Level 6
              Any suggestions on how to deal with those elements crossing ??  Thanks !

Yep.  Its called Rotoscoping and its the only way.

• 4. Re: track matte - garbage matte
                Level 4

So, I have to put each frame into photoshop and draw a path around the pistol / arm ...and get rid of it that way ?

No way to do some kind of alpha channel thing more automatically...distance from camera...z buffer maybe ?? I can do that with the maya camera..save that channel...

I guess it wouldn't be bad for me to do at least some of it so I learn how fast I can do it and how the product looks....probably feather 1 pixel on selections?

Thanks ....

I have another question...some guy is supposed to call me about footage shot in African safari..pro photographer hired to shoot the trip. was 4 hours but I think he did some rough cut already...and he wants to edit and put on DVD. Don't know what sort of footage it is except that it's on mini DV tape.  I have no idea what camera, nothing....just spoke to a friend of his on phone, waiting for this guy to call now...

What's the usual options for getting this stuff in my computer from mini DV tape ??  He doesn't have the camera or anything as far as I know...should he go to some pro place maybe and have it captured from tape and use my FTP site to send to me as files ??

Rod

• 5. Re: track matte - garbage matte
                  shooternz Level 6

Mini DV is usually very easy to deal with and is captured by F/W via device (camera or Deck) playback.

BTW - you may need a very fast "pipe" if you are preparing to send/receive  media files.

Rotoscoping is best done in After Effects as opposed to P.S.

• 6. Re: track matte - garbage matte
                    Level 4

I think he just has a clamshell , what my buddy said on phone...and I don't have firewire, so maybe I'll send him to some pro place near where he lives to do that...he is upstate NY and I am near NYC.

I have FIOS fiber optic...is pretty fast..have a terabyte on FTP ...but I think he is not computer savvy...so maybe a DVD (data ) is best ?

Thanks

Rod

• 7. Re: track matte - garbage matte
                      Level 4

The garbage matte is working very well.

Since Im putting it around the moving spinning talent, and she is shooting bad guys while turning (raising and lowering arm ) and since the camera is also tracking in tighter and panning...I now have 2 four point garbage mattes and 3  8 point garbage mattes and I am about halfway through the move.

It would seem a cool idea to put the garbage matte around those things that are NOT moving and spinning...instead of the actor.  But at least it is working and I continue to get used to what CAN be done , rather than what I WANT done.

My day could be called, "Fun with mattes".

Rod

• 8. Re: track matte - garbage matte
                        shooternz Level 6

Hopefully you know that you can "animate" the garbage matte by using keyframes. Tracking one matte is a lot easier than multiples.

IN AEFX you can invert the matte therefore you can place it around whatever object (and you can soften the edge as well)

Despite many feature requests - PPRO is unable to do so.  Its weird logic that in PPRO you place a garbage matte around what you want to keep..not the Garbage!

• 9. Re: track matte - garbage matte
                          Level 4

Another fun aside about this process..

The handles and bezier curves get rather cluttered as the matte points get moved....another great feature ...pretty soon you cant see the action from all the cool little lines and curves !

Rod

fun with mattes

• 10. Re: track matte - garbage matte
                            Level 4

Hi shooternz,

Ya, that's correct...I terminate the matte by dragging all points off the frame to clear it, and make note of the frame number, and start my next " fresh" matte on that frame...

that clears the mess away and lets me start with points that arent surrounded by beziere curves, handles, etc....can SEE the point to move etc.

It's OK...it's working...just takes time so I do a couple then save, come back later, do a couple more....I'm halfway through

Rod

• 11. Re: track matte - garbage matte
                              shooternz Level 6

Sounds like you are doing a lot of mattes for what I saw as a fairly simple and basic task!

You are working with  the reference you gave in your post arent you?

Looked to me like one animated garbage matte and a few frames of rotoscoping.  Maybe I viewed the wrong clip.

• 12. Re: track matte - garbage matte
                                Level 4

Hiya shooternz

Yep, pretty simple...I agree...

girl turns around 360 and a little more, shooting bad guys all around....like a super spy in the thick of it....

called embassy shootout...hollywood camera guys green screen samples ...cool company...

http://www.hollywoodcamerawork.us/greenscreenplates.html

The grip stand and grid lights are encroaching on her and camera movement ...and the angles allow for a garbage matte to get the bulk of it...as long as I stay with her motion....so it's working out OK.

Would be better and way faster to garbage out the lights and grip stands etc and just rotoscope when her arm goes through the equipment.

I'm getting there...it will get easier when I have to move the matte points less often ( key frames ) toward the end of the clip...you'll see...

Thanks

Rod