4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2010 8:00 AM by CrazyEnigma

fuzzy photos on premiere project

cammyfloyd

hello, this is the first project i've done on premiere pro but my 5th year of doing video editing.  i'm no pro, but have done some elaborate projects in the past.  now for the first time i'm trying to just insert some digital photos into the project among the video sequences, and they all come out blurry. i've tried resizing them and exporting in every format possible and still nothing.

anyone know of any quick fixes that they can explain in laymans terms?

thanks!

• 1. Re: fuzzy photos on premiere project
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, you have posted to the Tips & Tricks sub-forum, which is a repository for articles on how to do things in PrE. Out in the main forum, you'll get a lot more traffic and more help. I am sure that our tireless MOD, Steve Grisetti will move this for you, so more people will see it. Do not be alarmed, if it disappears from here, and ends up out in the main forum.

Now, there can be a lot of reasons for fuzzy still images. Before I start guessing, can you furnish us with the following detaisl:

When you do Project New, you will have to choose a Project Preset. What Project Preset did you choose. The full details will be important.

You say that you resized your images, please give us the full details of your images, the original format and size. Next, tell us the exact pixel x pixel dimensions that you resized to, and what format you Saved as. I know you said you tried them all, but what are you looking at now?

Then, tell us where you are observing the fuzziness. In PrE, there are two monitors: the Program Monitor, that previews the Timeline, and also the Source Monitor, that displays the Assets, away from the Timeline. Where you are looking can be important.

Last, is there a red line on the Timeline, just above your still images? If so, hit the Enter bar, to Render the still images for playback. The line will turn green. Then, go to the Program Monitor and Rt-click on it. Set Magnification to 100% and then play. Is this better?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: fuzzy photos on premiere project
            cammyfloyd Level 1

Hello Bill, thanks for your response.  I'll try and answer everything you asked as best as possible.

The original project preset I tried most recently was DV-NTSC Standard 48kHz

The photo sizes are 3008 x 2000 and i resized them to 640 x 426, both are still in JPG. (i have a bigger project but wanted to try correcting the problem with a small test project using a few sample photos from the main project.  i did this because a smaller project is easier to render/export)

Someone on here (probably you actually) recommended rendering to make the bar green and I did that the problem continues.

I can't do a test to see it while in premiere so I just go to render it and then export it.  It looks fine in Premiere, but it's after exporting it that it goes fuzzy.  I even tried exporting it as everything possible.  I tried everything in MPEG1 and MPEG2.  In the export window you can choose how to export it and there is an export window settings that shows how to export it.  It has a source and outpout tab at the top left where you can compare the difference between what's in the project, and how it will look post export.

I hope that's enough info, if you need more let me know.  Thanks a lot!

Cameron

• 3. Re: fuzzy photos on premiere project
              the_wine_snob Level 9

For NTSC DV, you will want to resize the images in PS/PSE to 720 x 480, and use the correct PAR (Pixel Aspect Ratio) to match, say Standard PAR = 0.9, and Widescreen PAR = 1.2. This will mean that you have a Full Frame image, with zero Scaling in PrE. I use either the Bicubic Smoother, or Bicubic Sharper Scaling algorithms in PS, depending on the subject matter. They are similar, but some subjects do better with one vs the other. Going to 640 will mean some up-scaling, depending on the PAR.

My normal workflow is shoot in camera RAW, process to .PSD in PS and then Save_As .PSD, when I resize. Note: I also do a Save of all working .PSD's, as I will likely have Adjustment Layers, and the like. I do not use JPEG, unless the client has handed off JPEG's.

Let me say up front - I am not a fan of JPEG, and only use that format for a Client's Web site. If I have to start with a JPEG, I know that it is already compressed to start. I will ALWAYS keep any JPEG original in .PSD format. Some argue that multiple JPEG compression does not degrade the image for Video. I disagree, but then I am used to doing very high-rez work, going to print. Even in my videos, I can see the changes by even a second JPEG compression. Others cannot. The choice can only be made by you. I shoot for ultimate quality, and if I can see a difference, I fear that my clients can too - I do not want that, ever.

This ARTICLE might be useful for some tips and some automation in the resizing. Remember, the feelings expressed within are mine, but they are based on many decades of doing images and using them in a myriad of ways. Also, note that the main steps are for Adobe Photoshop. Photoshop Elements is similar, but there ARE differences. I just do not know PSE, or I would have done an addendum for it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: fuzzy photos on premiere project
                CrazyEnigma Level 1

Try DV-24p Standard 48 kHz.