19 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2010 7:49 AM by AngryBird

Sony NXCAM LPCM audio is nothing but HISS on import

chucktown_rj

Anyone else having this issue? The audio sounds great in the Sony propriertary content import application.

Platform: 32-bit Vista (I know, I know), 8GB ram, dual core pentium, running CS 4 WITHOUT latest patch.

I have the new Sony NXCAM (which, by the way, I LOVE), but on my first import of a file using the uncompressed, LPCM codec audio the only thing I get is high-gain hiss.

Can I only work with AC-3 codec in Premier? That would suck. I'd need to figure out how to convert all the audio in the clips from LPCM to AC-3...

Ugh.

• 1. Re: Sony NXCAM LPCM audio is nothing but HISS on import
          shooternz Level 6

Read the help files or manual on  what audio PPRO works with.

Native to Windows systems   is .wav (PCM) but PPRO can read and use many others in a timeline.  I have never heard of LPCM so you may have a conversion to deal with but I wouldn not know at what part of the work flow.  (this could get messy: IMHO)

Update  the app. with latest patches  ( Why would you not have done so already if you are having an issue?)

• 2. Re: Sony NXCAM LPCM audio is nothing but HISS on import
            Colin-B Level 1

It may be an endianism problem. NXCAM is big endian like DVD LPCM, while most PC based LPCM is little endian. If it is being interpreted wrongly then you'll just hear hiss.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Sony NXCAM LPCM audio is nothing but HISS on import
              Bill_Wood

I have the same problem trying to work with the NXCAM AVCHD PCM audio,  In addition to the hiss you can hear highly distorted audio.  This is a very new product so there is not even support on the Sony web sites.  Sony does not recognize HXR-NX5U or HXR-128FM as valid Sony model numbers!  So the only software available is what  came with the camera!  But that software plays the sound just fine.  It is PPro CS4 that will not decode it.  Someone in Adobe needs to talk to someone at Sony to fix the incompatibility.  Sony's PPro CS4 workflow writeup does not help.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Sony NXCAM LPCM audio is nothing but HISS on import
                Jack Banatoni Level 1

Did anyone resolve this problem, yet?  I'm looking at getting a Sony NXCAM.

Thanks

• 5. Re: Sony NXCAM LPCM audio is nothing but HISS on import
                  Bill_Wood Level 1

Jack - The incompatibility of Premier Pro CS4 with the NXCAM Linear PCM audio still exists.  I suspect the next CS4 update will fix it but I have no promise that will be done.  Of course it work fine with Sony's Vegas Pro 9 (http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegaspro ).  It also work with Apple's Final Cut 7, but importing files is very time consuming.  If you have Prow CS4 use Dolby instead of LPCM sound. - Bill

• 6. Re: Sony NXCAM LPCM audio is nothing but HISS on import
                    chucktown_rj Level 1

Spot on answer.

I just finished a job where I shot two day's worth of footage using the ACC / dolby audio settings. Came through just fine. Video quality is stupendous.

But I sure hope they resolve the PCM audio issue in the next release.

Interestingly I had the same compatability problems with PPro when AVCHD first came. Some people on these boards claimed "forget about that codec, it's just for consumers." Ah-hem. And that's why Final Cut supported it right out of the gates?

I love PPro. I really do, but Adobe's inability to keep abreast of new file formats / combinations in the same way as Final Cut (I'm not mentioning Vegas because if Vegas didn't support these then there'd be reall issues with this camera), the whole thing makes me scratch my head once a year, asking myself why I don't make the hardware / software leap and use something into which I'll always be able to import something first time out.

• 7. Re: Sony NXCAM LPCM audio is nothing but HISS on import
                      chucktown_rj Level 1

Adobe Support directed me to the following website: http://www.codecguide.com/download_mega.htm.

I installed the Full option and the footage shot with the LPCM codec translates flawlessly!

• 8. Re: Sony NXCAM LPCM audio is nothing but HISS on import
                        Colin-B Level 1

I'm pleased you have a solution to this, but I'm surprised that Adobe recommended the installation if a codec pack. For example do a quick search of the forums for "codec packs".

• 9. Re: Sony NXCAM LPCM audio is nothing but HISS on import
                          chucktown_rj Level 1

Just did your search. Fascinating. But, as mentioned, the link and recommendation came straight from Adobe support.A little conflicted / schizophrenic in their approach I see.

Also, one important note, even with the codec pack installed the "Import Folder" option, or selecting and importing more than one

file at a time still leads to the audio coming across as high gain hiss. So it's not a flawless solution as I mention earlier.That I got it to import without the hiss -- and very high quality, uncompressed audio -- made me too zealous in my report.

• 10. Re: Sony NXCAM LPCM audio is nothing but HISS on import
                            zecc

God this pisses me right off! I've tried installing the klite codec pack and imported a file at a time; but no luck - I still get white noise. Time and time again Adobe releases products that don't work 100% - i.e. OMF support - CS4 one big Beta.

Okay enough rant - IS there something I'm not doing right? Is it a setting? I have a deadline and need this working now.

Thanks.

• 11. Re: Sony NXCAM LPCM audio is nothing but HISS on import
                              Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

IS there something I'm not doing right?

Yes.

I've tried installing the klite codec pack

That's it.  And it's a biggie.

Does the LPCM audio from that brand-new camera open OK in Soundbooth or Audition?  If not, there's zero chance it will work in Pr.

-Jeff

• 12. Re: Sony NXCAM LPCM audio is nothing but HISS on import
                                Harm Millaard Level 7

Probably your best move was installing the K-Lite package. Get out your Windows DVD, reformat your disk and install OS & programs again. Make sure to de-activate CS4 first.

Can you post a short clip for me to download and try?

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience, well, that comes from bad judgement."

Installing K-Lite is in the category bad judgement.

"To err is human, but to really fould up requires a computer with K-Lite."

• 13. Re: Sony NXCAM LPCM audio is nothing but HISS on import
                                  zecc Level 1

Sorry, I'm somewhat confused. A previous post said that Adobe support recomended the installation of k-lite - now the last 2 post's say that it was a mistake and the only way to solve the problem is to re-format? The audio wasn't working even before I installed k-lite - "nothing lost, nothing gained so far"

Will K-lite affect CS4's performance? How and why?

• 14. Re: Sony NXCAM LPCM audio is nothing but HISS on import
                                    Harm Millaard Level 7

First, Adobe TS (Technical Support) is quite good with installation problems or activation problems. When it comes to technical issues, it is often easier and faster to request help here and there is a good chance that the solutions offered here work better. Do not forget that TS works from standardized lists of questions and answers, but hardly ever use the program at all. Their hands-on experience is often severly lacking, and sometimes their English language skills as well, as many complained about.

Second, K-Lite is well known for the havoc it creates on a system and is not effectively able to uninstall. It leaves traces behind that will continue to plague you. With CS3 I have experienced this myself and the easiest, fastest way to get your machine working again, is to reformat and reinstall. Far easier than troubleshooting.

K-Lite is a bag-full of open source, re-engineered freeware that messes up registry entries and priorities without having been fully tested in combination with CS4 and that can lead to all kinds of mysterious errors, hangs, or even BSOD's. After uninstallation, registry entries are not properly restored or removed, so the registry may still contain sources of problems and will remain bloated, reducing performance.

I repeat, give me a link to a small clip that I can download and test for you.

• 15. Re: Sony NXCAM LPCM audio is nothing but HISS on import
                                      zecc Level 1

okay, here's a link for a file:

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=batch_download&send_id=855351713&email=6d0d2b 27eead1e167444a196089771f3

Thankfully k-lite is only installed on my Guinea Pig portable edit suite - my main one is untouched. Klite pack kdoesn't seem to have affected performance yet - everything else seems fine.

• 16. Re: Sony NXCAM LPCM audio is nothing but HISS on import
                                        chucktown_rj Level 1

I had tried the workaround of opening the audio in Audition 3.0 but as installed with the latest updates it does not recognize AVCHD as a valid video import format (selecting the open audio from video option).

And the recommendation from TS (Tech Support) I received regarding loading K-Lite did not come from a phone call but from a web-submitted support request. I can post the PDF if anyone's interested.

• 17. Re: Sony NXCAM LPCM audio is nothing but HISS on import
                                          Harm Millaard Level 7

Thanks for the link.

I tried it and no problem. Well, there are some problems, but that is more the way it was taped. Single mono directional mic that picks up a lot of noise from the spectators, overriding the actor, who should have put on a fresh shirt before his performance. Next time, if you can't pin a lav on the actor, at least put a directional mic on the stage, closer to the actor or put a mic on the mic-stand that he is holding (18:17).

Import into your sequence, edit in Audition and the whole waveform is shown and plays back without problem. Same in PR.

• 18. Re: Sony NXCAM LPCM audio is nothing but HISS on import
                                            Bill_Wood Level 1

G'Day zecc

I tried all the PrPro CS4 "fixes" without success!  I imported your clip into Sony's Vegas Pro 9 and the recorded LPCM audio worked flawlessly. (Next time use the stage mike or lav mike as suggested).  The clip also worked in FCP 7.  It will probably play OK in PrPro CS5 due out next month.  The problem is PrPro CS4!  Fixing it will probably slow upgrades to CS5, so nothing is being done by Adobe.

Bill

• 19. Re: Sony NXCAM LPCM audio is nothing but HISS on import
                                              AngryBird

I'm very happy to report that LPCM wrapped inside the M2TS container  does indeed work in Premiere CS5. Bravo Adobe!