13 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2010 7:51 PM by three G Gregg

Repathing graphics to root directory?

three G Gregg

OK, I have a genealogy site with roughly 500 family tree charts (generated by 3rd party software) that are all linked to each other ... and within these htm files there are gif files (many small lines) that connect the names in the charts. The charts and gifs are all in a subdirectory, and when I uploaded it with Dreamweaver, none of the gif files show up in the charts ... so is there any way I can use the edit find and replace function to fix the (img src=) code where it will utilize a fixed path to the graphics, and work with the gif files when uploaded back up to the host? ... and if need be the gifs can easily be in another directory, I just need them to be seen by all the chart files.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and thanks much, 3G

• 1. Re: Repathing graphics to root directory?
          bregent Most Valuable Participant

Please post a url so we can see what is wrong with the path and suggest a solution.

• 2. Re: Repathing graphics to root directory?
            three G Gregg Level 1

Thanks much ... a suggestion on how to fix my charts would be Great!

The site is dementtree.com and the 'family tree charts' and gif files are in the 'tree' sub-directory.

FWIW the charts were generated by a BirthWrite software that (to my knowledge) isn't being made any more.

Thanks again for your response,

Gregg

• 3. Re: Repathing graphics to root directory?
              hans-g. Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi,

is it that you would like to get? (the size I have entered with intent too large)

dr01.jpg

I noticed that where you should write the source-directory of your photos, there finds a reference to a *.html, and where the html is expected there is nothing. The picture above, I've made with the entries below.

dr02.jpg

... and don't forget the ../ (if DW doesn't of itself).

Hans-G.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Repathing graphics to root directory?
                three G Gregg Level 1

Thanks Hans, actually, the photo links in those pages have never had photos attached, and what I'm wanting to do is utilize 10 or so gif files that make up the lines connecting the names in the family tree charts.

Will have to wait till this evening to do the edit find and replace to the code with Dreamweaver, though can try one just by editing the code on the site, and i think (hope) putting the ../ code in place might be the fix ... wish me luck, and thanks for the advice,

3G

• 5. Re: Repathing graphics to root directory?
                  three G Gregg Level 1

So, first attempt at adding the ../ code didn't seem to address my issue, though will beat on it some more this evening, 3G

• 6. Re: Repathing graphics to root directory?
                    bregent Most Valuable Participant

>So, first attempt at adding the ../ code

The images are not in either the root or document directory so referencing them up one level won't do anything. Did you remember to acutally upload them? Also, If your Tree software is creating these links, see if it has an option to specify an image directory. Otherwise you would need to duplicate the common images for each family directory.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Repathing graphics to root directory?
                      three G Gregg Level 1

The 9 or 10 gif Images are one directory off of the root in the tree directory with all of the charts, and they're common to all the charts ... and my attempts so far (just on the site, not with Dreamweaver) are copying the gif files to the images and root directories, and adding the ../ codes to one of the charts.

Of course if I can simply move them to where the host site thinks they should be, that would be by far the best solution, but if it's a code fix, then my best bet is to use DW 'code search and replace' on each of the many files (which I'm willing to do) and then just upload them again.

I'm just trying to get it to work however without having to go back and regenerate all the tree charts, which I dont think will let me path to a particular directory anyway.

3G

• 8. Re: Repathing graphics to root directory?

Hi 3G,

no offense! I'd let or better put all the photos in a single directory. It makes sense to put some of them in a useful subdirectory which is significant for the site in use. Then "show" your DW where the photos are with declaring the correct file path. After that upload them with all your directories to your host! It's your "willing tool", nothing else!

And I am sure you can work with "search and replace" in code view to make your work easier, there where it's useful.

Hans-G.

• 9. Re: Repathing graphics to root directory?
                          three G Gregg Level 1

Yeah Hans,

I know letting DW browse and select the files is the best way, and for all the thumbnail photos and their fill size versions, I simple fixed them with the DW insert image object mouse rollover, with thumbnails in an images dir and the full size pics in a sub-directory.

With these tree chart gif files though, however they're placed there are roughly a few dozen in each odf about 500 charts, so either simply having them in the right directory, of the time consuming process of the search and replace seem to be my only viable options.

3G

• 10. Re: Repathing graphics to root directory?

Hi 3G,

I am pleased that we are here the same opinion and I understand that will require a great deal of energy. And so I consider would a slide show be a possible variant for your job? Some of these products allow you to combine images and informations.

Hans-G.

• 11. Re: Repathing graphics to root directory?
                              three G Gregg Level 1

Thanks for the help Hans, and the search and replace seems the only workable option.

Interesting on the the slideshow thought ...

This site was first set up several years back and not maintained very well ... and I've just now put it back online after rebuilding it all in DW after it has been offline for a few months ... so now that I can maintain it better with DW, I'm going to be entirely updating and redoing the site over the next few months anyway, and can hopefully find a better way of building the charts.

thanks again,

3G

• 12. Re: Repathing graphics to root directory?

Hi 3G,

phew, hope your great family knows about your effort. If we would live closer, I w/could help you, cause it's a non-profit work, anyway.

In case of an eventual slide show, I will send you some links to products I use with visible advantage:

http://www.lokeshdhakar.com/projects/lightbox2/

http://www.shadowbox-js.com/

http://www.flash-slideshow-maker.com/

http://www.dezinerfolio.com/

Hans-G.

• 13. Re: Repathing graphics to root directory?
                                  three G Gregg Level 1

Just an update Hans ... I did get 20 of the 500 charts fixed, so I know it will work now! There was also another issue that the 10 gif file names need to be all caps, so once I got that fixed and did the edit/replace, Dw still wanted me to upload the dependent gif files once more, and now they work like they're supposed to.

Wanted to let you know that your advice worked,

and thanks again, 3G