1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 22, 2010 4:50 AM by nealeh

Inconsistent Rendering

Allittakesispatience

First time posting here so I hope I hit all the bases when I describe my issue.

I've been working on a fairly detailed Machinima (movie/video created in a game environment) project for the last month and I've experienced a series of common Premiere Elements 7 crashes and lags along the way, but I've finally made my way to the last step: the rendering.

Every so often throughout the stages of my project, I've taken a step back to render what's already completed by rendering what I have. The first time I rendered, everything came out just fine. The second time, I had added a few more green-screen clips after the clips I had already found rendered correctly the first time. But when I rendered this time, the old clips that had rendered perfectly the first time now had some issues rendering. Some of the green-screen clips would have a small white line that followed the right border of its selection box when I clicked on it in premiere. This white line showed up both in premiere and in the rendering when exported. For some reason, simply redoing the videomerging with the same clip would sometimes fix it, however, the issue would disappear sometimes just by restarting the program as well. If niether of those worked, I would have to refilm the entire clip to get it to work. Even then, I don't know why this annoying white line always appeared.

The above issue is something that I can work around, although it's very annoying so if any of you have an idea why that might be happening, I'd be glad to hear suggestions.

More importantly is my overall problem: final rendering. I had essentially reached the final stages of my project where I just needed to render it and fix any little errors I couldn't see before hand. I did that and then went back to fix the problems. But now that everything is fixed, I can't seem to get premiere to render it at all. It will tell me it has encountered an error and needs to close, it says it can't return a frame, it will simply just close without warning, or, as has been the case for the last 4 attempts to render, it will freeze after a certain period of time. I wondered if it might just be that the video has gotten so complex that premiere has hit its maximum export load, so I went ahead and cut the entire project in half and tried to render each half separatly. Still no luck.

I've taken a look at some of the other people with rendering issues and most seem to say that their project never rendered to begin with. That's what baffles me. Mine has rendered dozens of times at different periods through the creation of the video. Now that all the editing is complete, I can't render the very last run of exporting.

I can give some more info on my project if that might be the problem. I have some clips recorded in 1680x1050 and others recorded in random sizes such as 1020x756 (based on the resizing of my modeling program). I have also had to lay up to 15 video clips on top of eachother to get the look of a crowd, although this rendered perfectly twice before. I have up to 17 video layers used at the same time for movement of images, although this too has rendered perfectly numerous times before. And the entire video is only 3 minutes, 20 sec or so long. The time it's taken to render previously is on the long side compared to other projects I've rendered in the past. But that's to be expected since this one is much more detailed.

My system specs are 3.16 GHz intel dual core processor, windows XP pro, 4 gb of RAM (limited to 3.25 with XP), and an Nvidia GeForce GTS 250

graphics card.

I guess my overall question is that it rendered before, why can't I render it again?

Edit: I guess I might also add another question while I'm here. I've read that Pre Elements 7 utilizes all 4 cores of a quad core when exporting, but does it utilize all of them while you edit? My computer often gets slow when it tries to rebuild my preview whilst I edit. I was curious if upgrading to quad would be an all-around boost to video production speed for my version of premiere.

• 1. Re: Inconsistent Rendering
          nealeh Level 5

Allittakesispatience wrote:

I've read that Pre Elements 7 utilizes all 4 cores of a quad core when exporting, but does it utilize all of them while you edit? My computer often gets slow when it tries to rebuild my preview whilst I edit. I was curious if upgrading to quad would be an all-around boost to video production speed for my version of premiere.

I've just done a simple monitor preview of a clip and all four cores were active and I then rendered my preview (47,000 frames) and all cores shot up to around 60%. Doing some multi-tasking activity (writing this response and some image viewing) the cores register high 95%+

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

Edited to add some further examples