4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2010 10:05 AM by Rick Gerard

Seaching for reliable external HDD to backup After Effects Projects

Jan Maarten de Wit Level 1

I'm searching a reliable (cheap) way to backup my After Effects projects.

I'm thinking to buy a external Western Digital 1TB  HHD or a 1TB Lacie HDD.

My question is: Maybe somebody knows/has some expercience with these harddisks.

Or has a better alternative??

jan maarten de wit

• 1. Re: Seaching for reliable external HDD to backup After Effects Projects
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Depends. At all cost avoid the cheap WD MyBook drives that only have a USB plug. I bought one last year, and I really hate the flimsy connectors (which, if you search a little, is a very common) - accidentally touching the cable makes the connection break down. If you must have WD, get the Studio series that also offers SATA and Firewire. LaCie seems to be quite good, but can't say much about them. I only have an older portable 40GB from them (Porsche Design edition).

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Seaching for reliable external HDD to backup After Effects Projects
            Jan Maarten de Wit Level 1

Thanks for the reply, but I'm still undecided.

Jan Maarten de Wit

• 3. Re: Seaching for reliable external HDD to backup After Effects Projects
              Chas Naylor Level 1

I second the "NO WD" notion.  I had a 1TB drive go bad on me, and it included some TREMENDOUSLY important work.  It was a brand new drive and was not mistreated (in fact we were OVERLY careful with it).

I have also had good experience with LaCie's.  And my little toshiba has done well for me also.

Here's a note too, and this is relative to how important the files you are backing up are:

If you get a 1tb drive, which is likely to have two physical 500gb drives raided to give you that full terabyte, I would suggest that you reformat it to be a redundant 500Gb drive.  While it is absolutely true that you will lose half of your capacity, for stability purposes I would look at this as imperative.  If you have two drives working together to create 1tb, and one of those drives fails, you are screwed, and with two physical drives you now have TWICE as much of a chance that a failure will occur (only one needs to bite it to potentially lose all of your data).  On the other hand, if those two drives are redundant you have now effectively CUT your chances at a failure in HALF.  And factoring in the fact that it is redundant it is, what, 400%(?) less likely to fail over the 2drives=1tb scenario...it's exponential anyway, someone better at math and percentages can give a more accurate number than I can, but you get the idea.

I WISH we had formatted the drive that I lost in this manner; if I had it to do over again I ABSOLUTELY would, and in the future I definitely will.  Like I said, you may lose half of your capacity, but if this work is important to you (or your clients) then that should be a non-issue given the gamble involved.

But yeah STAY AWAY FROM WESTERN DIGITAL.  Junk, man.  I would also have a tendency to have the same opinion of sleazegate.

• 4. Re: Seaching for reliable external HDD to backup After Effects Projects
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'd recommend an external array striped for redundancy. There are a bunch out there. I don't have any critical work backed up on a single drive.

Drobo is good, but I recently purchased a 6TB Buffalo at Frys for just under $700. You can pick up a pair of 1TB 7200 Drives for under $200 and an stripe them as Level 1 for simple redundancy or 3 disks striped to level 5 for more peace of mind. I'd never keep critical work on a single drive unless there was no other option.