5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2010 10:04 AM by Colin Brougham

Simple rotation question

whsstudent Level 1

I have a small arrow in the bottom of the screen which I'd like to rotate, in place, as it is.  When I try and rotate the image though, it rotates around the center of the viewing screen and not around itself.  I figured this was a simple issue of changing the anchor point but I'm not quite sure how this is done and my trouble-guessing has gotten me nowhere fast!

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Simple rotation question
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Is this a graphic you designed and built? If so, simply put the arrow graphic smack dab in the middle of the canvas of your graphic application. Then, in Premiere, you simply have to position (you can drag it in the Program Monitor) where you want it.

If it's prebuilt, you need to use a combination of Anchor Point and Position adjustments. In Premiere, there is no way to directly manipulate the Anchor Point of a clip, so use the Anchor Point X and Y controls in the Effects Control Panel while you have the clip selected in your sequence. Adjust these parameters until the small "crosshair" falls roughly in the center of the arrow. The Anchor Point dictates where other transformations, like Scale and Rotation, are centered. Once you've position the AP, simply drag the graphic/clip to your desired final location, and animate away.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Simple rotation question
            whsstudent Level 1

Thanks Colin,

Sorry, the arrow is actually just an altered triangle from PP. How do I see this cross-hair grid? When I select the graphic I'm trying to adjust, I do not see crosshairs any longer.

Thank you!

• 3. Re: Simple rotation question
              Colin Brougham Level 6

With the clip selected in the sequence, go to the Effects Control Panel (it should be in a tab beneath your Source Monitor); there, you'll see a built-in effect called Motion, with a small squarish icon near it. Click on that icon or the word "Motion", and the crosshair will appear in the Program Monitor for that particular clip. Swivel down the Motion effect (the little triangle to the left) and all of the effects you can adjust will be displayed. From there, you can carry out as above. This is what the effects look like, for reference:

motion.png

Also, I'm assuming you mean that you used the Titler in PPro to make this triangle/arrow. If so, you can easily open up that title, and move the triangle, arrow to the center of the "canvas" by clicking the Horizontal Center and Vertical Center buttons. This will set the Anchor Point to the very middle of the graphic, which makes rotating it a little easier. See my first reply for that information.

• 4. Re: Simple rotation question
                whsstudent Level 1

Ok got this working but looking to make things even easier.  I have centered the triangle horizontally and vertically.  I now want to move the triangle into position BUT allow for it only to rotate around its new position and not the center of the screen.  I know I'm supposed to somehow use the anchor points, but when/where exactly?

While I can get the arrow to do what I want after I position it, it seems like it would be easier to set the rotation up before moving it into position, no?

• 5. Re: Simple rotation question
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

As I said above:

The Anchor Point dictates where other transformations, like Scale and Rotation, are centered. Once you've position the AP, simply drag the graphic/clip to your desired final location, and animate away.

If you centered your graphic in the Titler, then the Anchor Point is in the center of your graphic, by default. The Anchor Point property (X and Y values) is relative to the clip's dimensions, whereas Position (also X and Y values) sets the Anchor Point's position relative to the sequence/program monitor's dimensions. So, if you leave Anchor Point where it is--in the middle of your graphic--you only need to adjust the Position parameters to place the graphic/clip where you want it. Rotations and scales happen relative to the Anchor Point--if the AP is in the top-left corner of a graphic/clip, and you rotate the clip, it will orbit in an arc around the point, instead of spinning.

Think of it this way: Anchor Point is where your clip is connected, or anchored (ta da!) to something else. Think of your shoulder as an Anchor Point, and what happens when you swing your arm. Now think of the hub of a wheel as an Anchor Point, and what happens when that wheel turns.

If your Anchor Point is in the right place (relative to your clip), you can Position the clip independently of animating its Rotation. In this way, you could, for instance, animate the wheel mentioned above not only spinning but appearing to roll across the screen.

I hope that helps make sense of this. It would be a good idea to spend some time reading the effects and animation section of the PPro help file to acquaint you with these terms and practices a bit better.