19 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2007 9:46 AM by Newsgroup_User

Templete Repeat Head question

Level 7
      Good Evening Everyone!

I am using templates, with good success, for the web site I am working on. I
      am able to edit easily and I appreciate the feature of being able to change
      all dependant pages simply by changing the template.

I do have a question. I am using a JavaScript slideshow that works well for
      the client's application. The JavaScript code is repeated on each page in
      the head portion of the website as desired. The same photo slide show is
      seen on every page. However, I wish to be able to change the images in the
      slide show and individualize the particular images shown on each page to the
      content of that page.

For a crude example, say you have a page for electric engineering products
      and another page for plumbing products. On the electric engineering page I
      would wish to have at the top a slide show of electric engineers at work
      with those type of products and jobs while on the plumbing page I would wish
      to show something related to plumbing.

In short is there a way to make a specific part of the code - the list of
      images in this case - in the head of the page editable. If there is no way
      to do this what would you recommend as an alternative to accomplish the same
      desired results and yet still be able to use templates?

Thank you in advance for your help and assistance in this area.

Regards,
      Webdesigner

• 1. Re: Templete Repeat Head question
          Level 7

> In short is there a way to make a specific part of the code - the list of
          > images in this case - in the head of the page editable

two ways offhand.
          One- change it so the code for this is in the template, but within an
          editable region in the head (You can't create editable areas in the head
          section using the GUI- just go into code view and copy/paste the
          opening/closing template comments that are around the Title tags as an
          example then change the "name" of this region.

second way is really similar- split the javascript up so the basic script
          function is in a locked area, and the definition of the image filenames in
          the array is in an editable one.

--
          Alan
          Adobe Community Expert, dreamweaver

http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

• 2. Re: Templete Repeat Head question
            Level 7
            Thank you Alan for your response. I am working with your first
            recommendation and I have wrapped the desired text in these tags and named
            it =slideshow. Does this look right? I changed the template and the
            dependent pages show the added code <! Template... etc but the images are
            not editable yet. I must be missing something very basic... Any ideas?

Thank you again.

<!-- TemplateBeginEditable name="slideshow" -->
            var fadeimages=new Array()
            //SET IMAGE PATHS. Extend or contract array as needed
            fadeimages[0]=["../Globalstylesimages/header/hdslideshow/bfoundation/bfoundimage_f01.jpg",
            "",""]
            fadeimages[1]=["../Globalstylesimages/header/hdslideshow/bfoundation/bfoundimage_f02.jpg",
            "",""]
            fadeimages[2]=["../Globalstylesimages/header/hdslideshow/bfoundation/bfoundimage_f03.jpg",
            "",""]
            fadeimages[3]=["../Globalstylesimages/header/hdslideshow/bfoundation/bfoundimage_f04.jpg",
            "",""]
            fadeimages[4]=["../Globalstylesimages/header/hdslideshow/bfoundation/bfoundimage_f05.jpg",
            "",""]
            fadeimages[5]=["../Globalstylesimages/header/hdslideshow/bfoundation/bfoundimage_f06.jpg",
            "",""]
            fadeimages[6]=["../Globalstylesimages/header/hdslideshow/bfoundation/bfoundimage_f07.jpg",
            "",""]
            fadeimages[7]=["../Globalstylesimages/header/hdslideshow/bfoundation/bfoundimage_f08.jpg",
            "",""]
            fadeimages[8]=["../Globalstylesimages/header/hdslideshow/bfoundation/bfoundimage_f09.jpg",
            "",""]
            fadeimages[9]=["../Globalstylesimages/header/hdslideshow/bfoundation/bfoundimage_f10.jpg",
            "",""]

var fadebgcolor="white"
            <!-- TemplateEndEditable -->

"Alan" <please_dont_mail_me@example.com> wrote in message
            news:C329C634.2DD175%please_dont_mail_me@example.com...
            >
            >
            >> In short is there a way to make a specific part of the code - the list of
            >> images in this case - in the head of the page editable
            >
            > two ways offhand.
            > One- change it so the code for this is in the template, but within an
            > editable region in the head (You can't create editable areas in the head
            > section using the GUI- just go into code view and copy/paste the
            > opening/closing template comments that are around the Title tags as an
            > example then change the "name" of this region.
            >
            > second way is really similar- split the javascript up so the basic script
            > function is in a locked area, and the definition of the image filenames in
            > the array is in an editable one.
            >
            > --
            > Alan
            > Adobe Community Expert, dreamweaver
            >
            > http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
            >
            >
            >

• 3. Re: Templete Repeat Head question
              Level 7
              Looks right. Your edits would have to be done manually.

--
              Murray --- ICQ 71997575
              Adobe Community Expert
              (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
              ==================
              http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
              http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
              http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
              http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
              ==================

"Webdesigner" <infor@ors-llc.com> wrote in message
              news:fe1mvh$l9$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Thank you Alan for your response. I am working with your first
              > recommendation and I have wrapped the desired text in these tags and named
              > it =slideshow. Does this look right? I changed the template and the
              > dependent pages show the added code <! Template... etc but the images are
              > not editable yet. I must be missing something very basic... Any ideas?
              >
              > Thank you again.
              >
              > <!-- TemplateBeginEditable name="slideshow" -->
              > var fadeimages=new Array()
              > //SET IMAGE PATHS. Extend or contract array as needed
              > fadeimages[0]=["../Globalstylesimages/header/hdslideshow/bfoundation/bfoundimage_f01.jpg" ,
              > "",""]
              > fadeimages[1]=["../Globalstylesimages/header/hdslideshow/bfoundation/bfoundimage_f02.jpg" ,
              > "",""]
              > fadeimages[2]=["../Globalstylesimages/header/hdslideshow/bfoundation/bfoundimage_f03.jpg" ,
              > "",""]
              > fadeimages[3]=["../Globalstylesimages/header/hdslideshow/bfoundation/bfoundimage_f04.jpg" ,
              > "",""]
              > fadeimages[4]=["../Globalstylesimages/header/hdslideshow/bfoundation/bfoundimage_f05.jpg" ,
              > "",""]
              > fadeimages[5]=["../Globalstylesimages/header/hdslideshow/bfoundation/bfoundimage_f06.jpg" ,
              > "",""]
              > fadeimages[6]=["../Globalstylesimages/header/hdslideshow/bfoundation/bfoundimage_f07.jpg" ,
              > "",""]
              > fadeimages[7]=["../Globalstylesimages/header/hdslideshow/bfoundation/bfoundimage_f08.jpg" ,
              > "",""]
              > fadeimages[8]=["../Globalstylesimages/header/hdslideshow/bfoundation/bfoundimage_f09.jpg" ,
              > "",""]
              > fadeimages[9]=["../Globalstylesimages/header/hdslideshow/bfoundation/bfoundimage_f10.jpg" ,
              > "",""]
              >
              > var fadebgcolor="white"
              > <!-- TemplateEndEditable -->
              >
              >
              > "Alan" <please_dont_mail_me@example.com> wrote in message
              > news:C329C634.2DD175%please_dont_mail_me@example.com...
              >>
              >>
              >>> In short is there a way to make a specific part of the code - the list
              >>> of
              >>> images in this case - in the head of the page editable
              >>
              >> two ways offhand.
              >> One- change it so the code for this is in the template, but within an
              >> editable region in the head (You can't create editable areas in the head
              >> section using the GUI- just go into code view and copy/paste the
              >> opening/closing template comments that are around the Title tags as an
              >> example then change the "name" of this region.
              >>
              >> second way is really similar- split the javascript up so the basic script
              >> function is in a locked area, and the definition of the image filenames
              >> in
              >> the array is in an editable one.
              >>
              >> --
              >> Alan
              >> Adobe Community Expert, dreamweaver
              >>
              >> http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
              >>
              >>
              >>
              >
              >

• 4. Re: Templete Repeat Head question
                Level 7
                You said,
                "Looks right. Your edits would have to be done manually."

Thank you for looking it over. Yes, I am expecting to do my edits manually.
                By this I persume you mean that I would need to change the image code in
                code view. I fully understand that. My only problem is that even thou I have
                added the opening and closing template comments in the main templete in
                hopes to tell all the subject pages that "hey, listen up, make this bit of
                text editable," they are not listening and the text continues to remain
                uneditable. I see the opening and closing tags I added into the code text of
                the master page duplicated on every subbordinate page. But I still am unable
                to edit the code between said opening and closing tags.

What might be causing the problem? Have any ideas?

Thank you for your assistance.

Regards,
                Webdesigner

"Murray *ACE*" <forums@HAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote in message
                news:fe2g4r$qrh$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                >
                >
                > --
                > Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                > Adobe Community Expert
                > (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                > ==================
                > http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
                > http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                > http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                > http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
                > ==================
                >
                >
                > "Webdesigner" <infor@ors-llc.com> wrote in message
                > news:fe1mvh$l9$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                >> Thank you Alan for your response. I am working with your first
                >> recommendation and I have wrapped the desired text in these tags and
                >> named it =slideshow. Does this look right? I changed the template and the
                >> dependent pages show the added code <! Template... etc but the images are
                >> not editable yet. I must be missing something very basic... Any ideas?
                >>
                >> Thank you again.
                >>
                >> <!-- TemplateBeginEditable name="slideshow" -->
                >> var fadeimages=new Array()
                >> //SET IMAGE PATHS. Extend or contract array as needed
                >> fadeimages[0]=["../Globalstylesimages/header/hdslideshow/bfoundation/bfoundimage_f01.jpg" ,
                >> "",""]
                >> fadeimages[1]=["../Globalstylesimages/header/hdslideshow/bfoundation/bfoundimage_f02.jpg" ,
                >> "",""]
                >> fadeimages[2]=["../Globalstylesimages/header/hdslideshow/bfoundation/bfoundimage_f03.jpg" ,
                >> "",""]
                >> fadeimages[3]=["../Globalstylesimages/header/hdslideshow/bfoundation/bfoundimage_f04.jpg" ,
                >> "",""]
                >> fadeimages[4]=["../Globalstylesimages/header/hdslideshow/bfoundation/bfoundimage_f05.jpg" ,
                >> "",""]
                >> fadeimages[5]=["../Globalstylesimages/header/hdslideshow/bfoundation/bfoundimage_f06.jpg" ,
                >> "",""]
                >> fadeimages[6]=["../Globalstylesimages/header/hdslideshow/bfoundation/bfoundimage_f07.jpg" ,
                >> "",""]
                >> fadeimages[7]=["../Globalstylesimages/header/hdslideshow/bfoundation/bfoundimage_f08.jpg" ,
                >> "",""]
                >> fadeimages[8]=["../Globalstylesimages/header/hdslideshow/bfoundation/bfoundimage_f09.jpg" ,
                >> "",""]
                >> fadeimages[9]=["../Globalstylesimages/header/hdslideshow/bfoundation/bfoundimage_f10.jpg" ,
                >> "",""]
                >>
                >> var fadebgcolor="white"
                >> <!-- TemplateEndEditable -->
                >>
                >>
                >> "Alan" <please_dont_mail_me@example.com> wrote in message
                >> news:C329C634.2DD175%please_dont_mail_me@example.com...
                >>>
                >>>
                >>>> In short is there a way to make a specific part of the code - the list
                >>>> of
                >>>> images in this case - in the head of the page editable
                >>>
                >>> two ways offhand.
                >>> One- change it so the code for this is in the template, but within an
                >>> editable region in the head (You can't create editable areas in the head
                >>> section using the GUI- just go into code view and copy/paste the
                >>> opening/closing template comments that are around the Title tags as an
                >>> example then change the "name" of this region.
                >>>
                >>> second way is really similar- split the javascript up so the basic
                >>> script
                >>> function is in a locked area, and the definition of the image filenames
                >>> in
                >>> the array is in an editable one.
                >>>
                >>> --
                >>> Alan
                >>> Adobe Community Expert, dreamweaver
                >>>
                >>> http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
                >>>
                >>>
                >>>
                >>
                >>
                >
                >

• 5. Re: Templete Repeat Head question
                  Level 7
                  Show me one of these stubborn child pages, please.

--
                  Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                  Adobe Community Expert
                  ==================
                  ==================

news:fe4cts$28l$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > You said,
                  > "Looks right. Your edits would have to be done manually."
                  >
                  > Thank you for looking it over. Yes, I am expecting to do my edits
                  > manually. By this I persume you mean that I would need to change the image
                  > code in code view. I fully understand that. My only problem is that even
                  > thou I have added the opening and closing template comments in the main
                  > templete in hopes to tell all the subject pages that "hey, listen up, make
                  > this bit of text editable," they are not listening and the text continues
                  > to remain uneditable. I see the opening and closing tags I added into the
                  > code text of the master page duplicated on every subbordinate page. But I
                  > still am unable to edit the code between said opening and closing tags.
                  >
                  > What might be causing the problem? Have any ideas?
                  >
                  > Thank you for your assistance.
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  > Webdesigner
                  >
                  > "Murray *ACE*" <forums@HAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote in message
                  > news:fe2g4r$qrh$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  >>
                  >>
                  >> --
                  >> Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                  >> Adobe Community Expert
                  >> (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                  >> ==================
                  >> http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
                  >> http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                  >> http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                  >> http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
                  >> ==================
                  >>
                  >>
                  >> "Webdesigner" <infor@ors-llc.com> wrote in message
                  >> news:fe1mvh$l9$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  >>> Thank you Alan for your response. I am working with your first
                  >>> recommendation and I have wrapped the desired text in these tags and
                  >>> named it =slideshow. Does this look right? I changed the template and
                  >>> the dependent pages show the added code <! Template... etc but the
                  >>> images are not editable yet. I must be missing something very basic...
                  >>> Any ideas?
                  >>>
                  >>> Thank you again.
                  >>>
                  >>> <!-- TemplateBeginEditable name="slideshow" -->
                  >>> var fadeimages=new Array()
                  >>> //SET IMAGE PATHS. Extend or contract array as needed
                  >>> fadeimages[0]=["../Globalstylesimages/header/hdslideshow/bfoundation/bfoundimage_f01.jpg" ,
                  >>> "",""]
                  >>> fadeimages[1]=["../Globalstylesimages/header/hdslideshow/bfoundation/bfoundimage_f02.jpg" ,
                  >>> "",""]
                  >>> fadeimages[2]=["../Globalstylesimages/header/hdslideshow/bfoundation/bfoundimage_f03.jpg" ,
                  >>> "",""]
                  >>> fadeimages[3]=["../Globalstylesimages/header/hdslideshow/bfoundation/bfoundimage_f04.jpg" ,
                  >>> "",""]
                  >>> fadeimages[4]=["../Globalstylesimages/header/hdslideshow/bfoundation/bfoundimage_f05.jpg" ,
                  >>> "",""]
                  >>> fadeimages[5]=["../Globalstylesimages/header/hdslideshow/bfoundation/bfoundimage_f06.jpg" ,
                  >>> "",""]
                  >>> fadeimages[6]=["../Globalstylesimages/header/hdslideshow/bfoundation/bfoundimage_f07.jpg" ,
                  >>> "",""]
                  >>> fadeimages[7]=["../Globalstylesimages/header/hdslideshow/bfoundation/bfoundimage_f08.jpg" ,
                  >>> "",""]
                  >>> fadeimages[8]=["../Globalstylesimages/header/hdslideshow/bfoundation/bfoundimage_f09.jpg" ,
                  >>> "",""]
                  >>> fadeimages[9]=["../Globalstylesimages/header/hdslideshow/bfoundation/bfoundimage_f10.jpg" ,
                  >>> "",""]
                  >>>
                  >>> var fadebgcolor="white"
                  >>> <!-- TemplateEndEditable -->
                  >>>
                  >>>
                  >>> "Alan" <please_dont_mail_me@example.com> wrote in message
                  >>> news:C329C634.2DD175%please_dont_mail_me@example.com...
                  >>>>
                  >>>>
                  >>>>> In short is there a way to make a specific part of the code - the list
                  >>>>> of
                  >>>>> images in this case - in the head of the page editable
                  >>>>
                  >>>> two ways offhand.
                  >>>> One- change it so the code for this is in the template, but within an
                  >>>> editable region in the head (You can't create editable areas in the
                  >>>> head
                  >>>> section using the GUI- just go into code view and copy/paste the
                  >>>> opening/closing template comments that are around the Title tags as an
                  >>>> example then change the "name" of this region.
                  >>>>
                  >>>> second way is really similar- split the javascript up so the basic
                  >>>> script
                  >>>> function is in a locked area, and the definition of the image filenames
                  >>>> in
                  >>>> the array is in an editable one.
                  >>>>
                  >>>> --
                  >>>> Alan
                  >>>> Adobe Community Expert, dreamweaver
                  >>>>
                  >>>> http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
                  >>>>
                  >>>>
                  >>>>
                  >>>
                  >>>
                  >>
                  >>
                  >
                  >

• 6. Re: Templete Repeat Head question
                    Level 7
                    Good Morning! :) Trust you had a good night.

(Ooops... Murray please disregard the 3 copies I inadvertantly sent to your
                    box... hit the wrong reply again.)

Here is the link to one of the pages:
                    http://www.ors-llc.com/articles/thieves_of_the_bible_part1.html. As you see
                    in the source code the slideshow template is positioned near the top. If
                    there is any more information that I can provide that would be helpful
                    please feel free to ask. I wish there was a way to show you what was on my
                    Dreamweaver screen. Would a snap shot be helpful? The only difference
                    between what I see in the Dreamweaver program and the source code is that
                    the whole area under discussion is grayed out. Thank you for taking the
                    time.

• 7. Re: Templete Repeat Head question
                      Level 7
                      show me the template page, please. Upload it and post a link to it....

--
                      Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                      Adobe Community Expert
                      ==================
                      ==================

news:fe6f1r$e4c$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      > Good Morning! :) Trust you had a good night.
                      >
                      > (Ooops... Murray please disregard the 3 copies I inadvertantly sent to
                      > your
                      > box... hit the wrong reply again.)
                      >
                      > Here is the link to one of the pages:
                      > http://www.ors-llc.com/articles/thieves_of_the_bible_part1.html. As you
                      > see
                      > in the source code the slideshow template is positioned near the top. If
                      > there is any more information that I can provide that would be helpful
                      > please feel free to ask. I wish there was a way to show you what was on my
                      > Dreamweaver screen. Would a snap shot be helpful? The only difference
                      > between what I see in the Dreamweaver program and the source code is that
                      > the whole area under discussion is grayed out. Thank you for taking the
                      > time.
                      >
                      >
                      >

• 8. Re: Templete Repeat Head question
                        Level 7
                        http://www.ors-llc.com//Templates/Articles.dwt'

there's a template syntax error in the template file-
                        <!-- InstanceBeginEditable name="doctitle" -->
                        <title>Ordered Recovery
                        Systems, LLC</title>
                        <!-- InstanceEndEditable -->

those should be Template instead of Instance in the .dwt file itself.

then there's this farther down-

<!-- InstanceBeginEditable name="head" --><!-- TemplateBeginEditable
                        name="head" --><!-- TemplateEndEditable --><!-- InstanceEndEditable -->

it's kind of horked...
                        --
                        Alan

• 9. Re: Templete Repeat Head question
                          Level 7
                          It's a child page. Let's take a look at the template page.

--
                          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                          Adobe Community Expert
                          ==================
                          ==================

news:C32C4606.2DD490%please_dont_mail_me@example.com...
                          > http://www.ors-llc.com//Templates/Articles.dwt'
                          >
                          >
                          > there's a template syntax error in the template file-
                          > <!-- InstanceBeginEditable name="doctitle" -->
                          > <title>Ordered Recovery
                          > Systems, LLC</title>
                          > <!-- InstanceEndEditable -->
                          >
                          > those should be Template instead of Instance in the .dwt file itself.
                          >
                          > then there's this farther down-
                          >
                          > <!-- InstanceBeginEditable name="head" --><!-- TemplateBeginEditable
                          > name="head" --><!-- TemplateEndEditable --><!-- InstanceEndEditable -->
                          >
                          > it's kind of horked...
                          > --
                          > Alan
                          >
                          >
                          >
                          >

• 10. Re: Templete Repeat Head question
                            Level 7

> It's a child page. Let's take a look at the template page.

http://www.ors-llc.com//Templates/Articles.dwt

>> <!-- InstanceBeginEditable name="head" --><!-- TemplateBeginEditable
                            >> name="head" --><!-- TemplateEndEditable --><!-- InstanceEndEditable -->

it's horked if it has the above in it. Template nested inside of Instance.

I couldn't edit anything in it with the old version of dw on this box.
                            Couldn't save it without dialog box warnings.

--
                            Alan

• 11. Re: Templete Repeat Head question
                              Level 7
                              Yep - so it does. But it's a nested template, right? Anyhow, that's why
                              the javascript is not editable. With the Template markup inside the
                              Instance markup, the region will not be editable in child pages. I think I
                              have that right.

--
                              Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                              Adobe Community Expert
                              ==================
                              ==================

news:C32C556C.2DD494%please_dont_mail_me@example.com...
                              >
                              >
                              >> It's a child page. Let's take a look at the template page.
                              >
                              > http://www.ors-llc.com//Templates/Articles.dwt
                              >
                              >>> <!-- InstanceBeginEditable name="head" --><!-- TemplateBeginEditable
                              >>> name="head" --><!-- TemplateEndEditable --><!-- InstanceEndEditable -->
                              >
                              > it's horked if it has the above in it. Template nested inside of
                              > Instance.
                              >
                              > I couldn't edit anything in it with the old version of dw on this box.
                              > Couldn't save it without dialog box warnings.
                              >
                              > --
                              > Alan
                              >
                              >
                              >
                              >

• 12. Re: Templete Repeat Head question
                                Level 7
                                Thank you Alan and Murray.

I'm affraid I am not following you. It is true that I am using nested
                                templates. Here is the link to the top template
                                http://www.ors-llc.com//Templates/Basic.dwt. The Article template you were
                                discussing is a template nested in the Basic template. As you can see there
                                is none of that strange Instance business in this file. Perhaps the
                                instigator is in this file? I set up all my template editing regions through
                                Dreamweaver's Design view so if there is some code that needs adjusting it
                                was dreamweaver's doing in that case.

The only one exception is this:

<!-- TemplateBeginEditable name="slideshow" -->

var fadeimages=new Array()
                                //SET IMAGE PATHS. Extend or contract array as needed
                                fadeimages[0]=["../Globalstylesimages/header/hdslideshow/bfoundation/bfoundimage_f01.jpg",
                                "",""]
                                fadeimages[1]=["../Globalstylesimages/header/hdslideshow/bfoundation/bfoundimage_f02.jpg",
                                "",""]
                                fadeimages[2]=["../Globalstylesimages/header/hdslideshow/bfoundation/bfoundimage_f03.jpg",
                                "",""]
                                fadeimages[3]=["../Globalstylesimages/header/hdslideshow/bfoundation/bfoundimage_f04.jpg",
                                "",""]
                                fadeimages[4]=["../Globalstylesimages/header/hdslideshow/bfoundation/bfoundimage_f05.jpg",
                                "",""]
                                fadeimages[5]=["../Globalstylesimages/header/hdslideshow/bfoundation/bfoundimage_f06.jpg",
                                "",""]
                                fadeimages[6]=["../Globalstylesimages/header/hdslideshow/bfoundation/bfoundimage_f07.jpg",
                                "",""]
                                fadeimages[7]=["../Globalstylesimages/header/hdslideshow/bfoundation/bfoundimage_f08.jpg",
                                "",""]
                                fadeimages[8]=["../Globalstylesimages/header/hdslideshow/bfoundation/bfoundimage_f09.jpg",
                                "",""]
                                fadeimages[9]=["../Globalstylesimages/header/hdslideshow/bfoundation/bfoundimage_f10.jpg",
                                "",""]

var fadebgcolor="white"
                                <!-- TemplateEndEditable -->

I added the template code to this block of code because I wanted the images
                                inside to be editable on a page by page basis. The bottom line is that since
                                I have made an error you will find it will be in the template page I just
                                provided with the link. I didn't think of sending a link to the template but
                                of course that was what you were asking for at the first. I hope this
                                explaination helps. I know I have put the wrong code in somewhere so your
                                assistance to track down where is is much appreciated. Sorry for the delay
                                in getting you all the information.

Best Regards,
                                Webdesigner

news:fe7ntn$pgl$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                > Yep - so it does. But it's a nested template, right? Anyhow, that's why
                                > the javascript is not editable. With the Template markup inside the
                                > Instance markup, the region will not be editable in child pages. I think
                                > I have that right.
                                >
                                > --
                                > Adobe Community Expert
                                > ==================
                                > ==================
                                >
                                >
                                > news:C32C556C.2DD494%please_dont_mail_me@example.com...
                                >>
                                >>
                                >>> It's a child page. Let's take a look at the template page.
                                >>
                                >> http://www.ors-llc.com//Templates/Articles.dwt
                                >>
                                >>>> <!-- InstanceBeginEditable name="head" --><!-- TemplateBeginEditable
                                >>>> name="head" --><!-- TemplateEndEditable --><!-- InstanceEndEditable -->
                                >>
                                >> it's horked if it has the above in it. Template nested inside of
                                >> Instance.
                                >>
                                >> I couldn't edit anything in it with the old version of dw on this box.
                                >> Couldn't save it without dialog box warnings.
                                >>
                                >> --
                                >> Alan
                                >>
                                >>
                                >>
                                >>
                                >
                                >

• 13. Re: Templete Repeat Head question
                                  Level 7

> It is true that I am using nested
                                  > templates

then i bow out. Ignore what i've said.

How are you using the nesting "feature"?
                                  How many pages in this site?
                                  How many main templates? How many nested templates?

there's other ways to do this in almost all cases.

--
                                  Alan

• 14. Re: Templete Repeat Head question
                                    Level 7
                                    > How are you using the nesting "feature"?

As carefully and as simply as I can. Mostly I am using template to first
                                    control the header, footer and over all format. Then the nested templates
                                    control the content. Read on for a better explanation...

> How many pages in this site?

40 to 50 and growing

> How many main templates? How many nested templates?

There is one main template called: Basic. There are two subtemplates or
                                    nested templates with a third soon to be added. The Basic template controls
                                    all the features, such as header, footer, etc that I wish to appear the same
                                    across the whole website no matter what the content. The nested templates
                                    control different areas of the website, like Articles, Chairman's Account
                                    and About ORS. Each of the three nested templates mainly deal with the
                                    content and side bar. I would, for example, like the side bar to look a
                                    certain way in all of the Articles pages and another way in all of the About
                                    ORS pages. This way when I need to change the look of the Articles area I
                                    can do it through the "articles template" and update all the child pages in
                                    that particular category, without changing anything in other categories.
                                    When I need to change something over the whole site on all pages I can
                                    change Basic without having to change three or more (leaving room for
                                    expansion) nested templates.

Is there a simplier way to accomplish the same thing? So far it seems to be
                                    working but then again I haven't been using them for that long. Is it not
                                    possible to come back later and add this additional editable region?

Hope all of this is understandable. Thank you.

news:C32DE4AB.2DD5DD%please_dont_mail_me@example.com...
                                    >
                                    >
                                    >> It is true that I am using nested
                                    >> templates
                                    >
                                    > then i bow out. Ignore what i've said.
                                    >
                                    > How are you using the nesting "feature"?
                                    > How many pages in this site?
                                    > How many main templates? How many nested templates?
                                    >
                                    > there's other ways to do this in almost all cases.
                                    >
                                    > --
                                    > Alan
                                    >
                                    >
                                    >
                                    >

• 15. Re: Templete Repeat Head question
                                      Level 7
                                      Murray,

>With the Template markup inside the Instance markup, the region will not be
                                      >editable in child pages.

What do you mean? I've provided the link to the master template - where is
                                      the template markup inside the Instance markup and how can it be fixed?
                                      Please excuse my ignorance...

Thank you.

news:fe7ntn$pgl$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                      > Yep - so it does. But it's a nested template, right? Anyhow, that's why
                                      > the javascript is not editable. With the Template markup inside the
                                      > Instance markup, the region will not be editable in child pages. I think
                                      > I have that right.
                                      >
                                      > --
                                      > Adobe Community Expert
                                      > ==================
                                      > ==================
                                      >
                                      >
                                      > news:C32C556C.2DD494%please_dont_mail_me@example.com...
                                      >>
                                      >>
                                      >>> It's a child page. Let's take a look at the template page.
                                      >>
                                      >> http://www.ors-llc.com//Templates/Articles.dwt
                                      >>
                                      >>>> <!-- InstanceBeginEditable name="head" --><!-- TemplateBeginEditable
                                      >>>> name="head" --><!-- TemplateEndEditable --><!-- InstanceEndEditable -->
                                      >>
                                      >> it's horked if it has the above in it. Template nested inside of
                                      >> Instance.
                                      >>
                                      >> I couldn't edit anything in it with the old version of dw on this box.
                                      >> Couldn't save it without dialog box warnings.
                                      >>
                                      >> --
                                      >> Alan
                                      >>
                                      >>
                                      >>
                                      >>
                                      >
                                      >

• 16. Re: Templete Repeat Head question
                                        Level 7
                                        > Is there a simplier way to accomplish the same thing? So far it seems to be
                                        > working but then again I haven't been using them for that long. Is it not
                                        > possible to come back later and add this additional editable region?

There is *always* a simpler way to achieve things like this without using
                                        nested templates.

CSS is VERY powerful when it comes to changing the look of specific pages.
                                        It can change background colors, alter layouts and do nearly everything you
                                        want nested templates to do. Combine this with server-side includes and you
                                        have all the advantages and none of the disadvantages of nested templates.

First, tell us - are you the only one working on the site?

Murray

On 10/7/07 6:38 PM, in article febn6d$2uj$1@forums.macromedia.com,
                                        "Webdesigner" <infor@ors-llc.com> wrote:

>> How are you using the nesting "feature"?
                                        >
                                        > As carefully and as simply as I can. Mostly I am using template to first
                                        > control the header, footer and over all format. Then the nested templates
                                        > control the content. Read on for a better explanation...
                                        >
                                        >> How many pages in this site?
                                        >
                                        > 40 to 50 and growing
                                        >
                                        >> How many main templates? How many nested templates?
                                        >
                                        > There is one main template called: Basic. There are two subtemplates or
                                        > nested templates with a third soon to be added. The Basic template controls
                                        > all the features, such as header, footer, etc that I wish to appear the same
                                        > across the whole website no matter what the content. The nested templates
                                        > control different areas of the website, like Articles, Chairman's Account
                                        > and About ORS. Each of the three nested templates mainly deal with the
                                        > content and side bar. I would, for example, like the side bar to look a
                                        > certain way in all of the Articles pages and another way in all of the About
                                        > ORS pages. This way when I need to change the look of the Articles area I
                                        > can do it through the "articles template" and update all the child pages in
                                        > that particular category, without changing anything in other categories.
                                        > When I need to change something over the whole site on all pages I can
                                        > change Basic without having to change three or more (leaving room for
                                        > expansion) nested templates.
                                        >
                                        > Is there a simplier way to accomplish the same thing? So far it seems to be
                                        > working but then again I haven't been using them for that long. Is it not
                                        > possible to come back later and add this additional editable region?
                                        >
                                        > Hope all of this is understandable. Thank you.
                                        >
                                        >
                                        > news:C32DE4AB.2DD5DD%please_dont_mail_me@example.com...
                                        >>
                                        >>
                                        >>> It is true that I am using nested
                                        >>> templates
                                        >>
                                        >> then i bow out. Ignore what i've said.
                                        >>
                                        >> How are you using the nesting "feature"?
                                        >> How many pages in this site?
                                        >> How many main templates? How many nested templates?
                                        >>
                                        >> there's other ways to do this in almost all cases.
                                        >>
                                        >> --
                                        >> Alan
                                        >>
                                        >>
                                        >>
                                        >>
                                        >
                                        >

• 17. Re: Templete Repeat Head question
                                          Level 7
                                          > CSS is VERY powerful when it comes to changing the look of specific pages.
                                          > It can change background colors, alter layouts and do nearly everything
                                          > you
                                          > want nested templates to do. Combine this with server-side includes and
                                          > you
                                          > have all the advantages and none of the disadvantages of nested templates.

Yes, I agree with the capabilities of CSS and its advantages; I have been
                                          using them to that effect. At this point I am only using nested templates to
                                          control content leaving the layout to CSS. However, I concur (also from
                                          reading other recent posts here on the subject) that I need to start looking
                                          into server-side as the reasonable and more workable alternative. I read
                                          that Murray feels SSI is the only way to go so with that recommention I will
                                          start there.

Until I get everything transferred over to that systems does anyone know of
                                          a work around to making the Javascript photos editable? Just as a stop gap
                                          solution?

> First, tell us - are you the only one working on the site?
                                          yes

Thank you for all your help

"Murray Summers" <msummers@great-web-sights.com> wrote in message
                                          news:C32F9553.17677%msummers@great-web-sights.com...
                                          >> Is there a simplier way to accomplish the same thing? So far it seems to
                                          >> be
                                          >> working but then again I haven't been using them for that long. Is it not
                                          >> possible to come back later and add this additional editable region?
                                          >
                                          > There is *always* a simpler way to achieve things like this without using
                                          > nested templates.
                                          >

>
                                          > First, tell us - are you the only one working on the site?
                                          >
                                          > Murray
                                          >
                                          >
                                          > On 10/7/07 6:38 PM, in article febn6d$2uj$1@forums.macromedia.com,
                                          > "Webdesigner" <infor@ors-llc.com> wrote:
                                          >
                                          >>> How are you using the nesting "feature"?
                                          >>
                                          >> As carefully and as simply as I can. Mostly I am using template to first
                                          >> control the header, footer and over all format. Then the nested templates
                                          >> control the content. Read on for a better explanation...
                                          >>
                                          >>> How many pages in this site?
                                          >>
                                          >> 40 to 50 and growing
                                          >>
                                          >>> How many main templates? How many nested templates?
                                          >>
                                          >> There is one main template called: Basic. There are two subtemplates or
                                          >> nested templates with a third soon to be added. The Basic template
                                          >> controls
                                          >> all the features, such as header, footer, etc that I wish to appear the
                                          >> same
                                          >> across the whole website no matter what the content. The nested templates
                                          >> control different areas of the website, like Articles, Chairman's Account
                                          >> and About ORS. Each of the three nested templates mainly deal with the
                                          >> content and side bar. I would, for example, like the side bar to look a
                                          >> certain way in all of the Articles pages and another way in all of the
                                          >> About
                                          >> ORS pages. This way when I need to change the look of the Articles area I
                                          >> can do it through the "articles template" and update all the child pages
                                          >> in
                                          >> that particular category, without changing anything in other categories.
                                          >> When I need to change something over the whole site on all pages I can
                                          >> change Basic without having to change three or more (leaving room for
                                          >> expansion) nested templates.
                                          >>
                                          >> Is there a simplier way to accomplish the same thing? So far it seems to
                                          >> be
                                          >> working but then again I haven't been using them for that long. Is it not
                                          >> possible to come back later and add this additional editable region?
                                          >>
                                          >> Hope all of this is understandable. Thank you.
                                          >>
                                          >>
                                          >> "Alan" <please_dont_mail_me@example.com> wrote in message
                                          >> news:C32DE4AB.2DD5DD%please_dont_mail_me@example.com...
                                          >>>
                                          >>>
                                          >>>> It is true that I am using nested
                                          >>>> templates
                                          >>>
                                          >>> then i bow out. Ignore what i've said.
                                          >>>
                                          >>> How are you using the nesting "feature"?
                                          >>> How many pages in this site?
                                          >>> How many main templates? How many nested templates?
                                          >>>
                                          >>> there's other ways to do this in almost all cases.
                                          >>>
                                          >>> --
                                          >>> Alan
                                          >>> Adobe Community Expert, dreamweaver
                                          >>>
                                          >>> http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
                                          >>>
                                          >>>
                                          >>>
                                          >>
                                          >>
                                          >

• 18. Re: Templete Repeat Head question
                                            Level 7

> Until I get everything transferred over to that systems does anyone know of
                                            > a work around to making the Javascript photos editable? Just as a stop gap
                                            > solution?

one way you can think over-

first, back up the local site folder of course.

then, modify-->Templates-->Export without markup.
                                            export the entire site folder without template markup to a new folder
                                            outside of this site.

now define a new site to this new folder and fill in the remote info.
                                            Now all pages are editable.

--
                                            Alan

• 19. Re: Templete Repeat Head question
                                              Level 7
                                              Okay done most of that and it works!.. :)

Just need to hook up to the server when I get a moment.

One question. I notice that most of html files now have a duplicate with an
                                              xml added, example: certification.html has a copy right next to it named
                                              certification.html.xml. What is the story about that? It looks like it is
                                              the code view of what used to be the editable region in the certification
                                              file. Do you know of any reason these duplicates can't be erased? Will it
                                              hurt anything?

Thank you for you help and assistance

news:C32FBE6A.2DD814%please_dont_mail_me@example.com...
                                              >
                                              >> Until I get everything transferred over to that systems does anyone know
                                              >> of
                                              >> a work around to making the Javascript photos editable? Just as a stop
                                              >> gap
                                              >> solution?
                                              >
                                              > one way you can think over-
                                              >
                                              > first, back up the local site folder of course.
                                              >
                                              > then, modify-->Templates-->Export without markup.
                                              > export the entire site folder without template markup to a new folder
                                              > outside of this site.
                                              >
                                              > now define a new site to this new folder and fill in the remote info.
                                              > Now all pages are editable.
                                              >
                                              > --
                                              > Alan
                                              >
                                              >
                                              >
                                              >