6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2007 9:19 PM by drnen

Need a pro's help please!

drnen
      the site is www.darrenlasso.com

The way i have it set up is this- there is one main flash file that contains the intro as well as the transitions to the different categories. Once you get to an individual category page, a few selections to direct examples are available (they're rectangular buttons with thumbnail image). These examples are housed in separate files (trying to keep filesize of main file down). An example of the script i'm using for one of those buttons would be:
      on(release){
      loadMovieNum("holstedweb.swf", 1);
      holstedbtn._visible = false
      holstedwebbtn._visible = false

}
      I believe my problem is that I'm always loading everything into level 1 when i loadmovienum... but when I tried giving every button a unique level, it doesnt work for me. Once the user goes into the holstedweb file, the code to get back to the main page is:
      on(release){
      var mcl:MovieClipLoader = new MovieClipLoader();

var mclListener:Object = {};
      mcl.addListener(mclListener);

mclListener.onLoadInit = function(mc:MovieClip){
      mc.gotoAndPlay(413);
      }

mcl.loadClip("darnen.swf", 1);
      }

If you navigate through the site you will notice the problem- in between transitions between files there is a pause where it will show you a frame or two from whatever clip is already loaded into level 1. Anyway, I'm trying to continue on with this site so I want to get this last big bug taken care of. The main problem may be the code I use to return to the main animation from the other branched files. I would LOVE help! I'm including a link to some of the files so you can check them out for yourself.
      www.darrenlasso.com/archive.zip
        • 1. Re: Need a pro's help please!
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          you can probably solve your issue by disabling the _level1._visible property when you start loading into _level1 and re-enable it when loading is complete.
          • 2. Re: Need a pro's help please!
            drnen Level 1
            I tried some other code based on another response at another forum. In this code I have already loaded the external animation "aci" and now this is the code to get back to the main page navigation- this does NOT work either:

on(release){

mc.gotoAndPlay(413);
            }

unloadClip("aci.swf");
            }

Can you give me more of an explanation of how i should implement the visibility of the level into this code I've posted above? Or maybe its something need to have totally rewritten. Either way any help is super appreciated cuz im more of a designer than a programmer and this project has been baffling me.
            • 3. Re: Need a pro's help please!
              :

• 4. Re: Need a pro's help please!
                drnen Level 1
                I thought it was working for a minute but it doesnt appear to be the case..

First I should mention that the code to load the aci.swf from inside the main navigation file darnen.swf file is the following:

on (release) {
                loadMovieNum("aci.swf",1);
                acibtn._visible = false// just turning off visibility of other buttons
                cvrbtn._visible = false

}

This is the code on the button inside the aci.swf file that is meant to return to the main darnen.swf file:

on(release){

mc._visible=true;
                mc.gotoAndPlay(413);
                }

_level1._visible=false;
                }

Based on your comment above I thought you meant i should take out the following code and put it in the first frame of the aci.swf file, so i did:

The error that continues to happen is that switching between files causes the first frame or two of the previously loaded level to briefly flash on screen. I'm guessing this is because everything is loading into level 1, but keeping it all in level 1 is the only way all of this code works together. I owe you a beer if I ever manage to get this thing working right.
                • 5. Re: Need a pro's help please!
                  every place you have loadMovieNum() or loadClip targeting _level1, you should disable _level1's _visible property.
                  • 6. Re: Need a pro's help please!
                    drnen Level 1
                    I've started going through the files and making sure i have a visibility tag of false attached to levels but im still getting that brief "flash" onscreen of the levels previous contents. Heres a quick way to show what i mean-
                    go to darrenlasso.com
                    click on advertising
                    click on globe head image
                    then click on advertising again at the top of the page
                    see how as soon as you click that there is a flash of only a frame maybe? but that shouldn't be showing at all preferably. I'm trying to make sure the transition between files is smooth.