12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2010 9:18 AM by Jeff Bellune

Does Adobe Master Collection CS4 work on Quad processors?

grimil

I am trying to buy a new computer (laptop)and I currently own Adobe Master collections CS4 and I would like to know if anyone has installed this on a quad processor and what graphic card will work fine with it? Also what processor speed would I need on a quad processor.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Does Adobe Master Collection CS4 work on Quad processors?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Those processors work OK, although slow, but most of the time the disk setup is the deal breaker.

Look here: http://forums.adobe.com/message/1989795#1989795

You are way better off with a dedicated workstation.

Around minimum requirements, especially if you consider editing AVCHD, is an i7 with at least 8 GB memory and three physical 7200 SATA disks. It might make the notebook barely luggable and give you 30 minutes of battery life with limited screen estate, but if that is what you want....

• 2. Re: Does Adobe Master Collection CS4 work on Quad processors?
            grimil Level 1

Thank you for your answer, I hope you don't mind if expand my question. I went to the link you send and I apologize some of it is over my head. I understand that a destop would be better but I am a student and portability is a must for me.

I have looked at two different laptops and I am trying to figure out if either one of them is the right choice and will it run Adobe master collection CS4 without a problem.

Here are the specs for the two laptops I am considering, I would appreciate your input.

Thank you

• 3. Re: Does Adobe Master Collection CS4 work on Quad processors?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

First choice would be very nice, but add at least 1 or better 2 additional 7200 eSATA disks to that. Second choice would be rather marginal.

• 4. Re: Does Adobe Master Collection CS4 work on Quad processors?
                grimil Level 1

Thank you so much for your response. If I may I would like to ask you one final question.

I am attaching a PDF file with the two options I presented to you before, and I know that you suggested the quad processor with the additional hard drives and that is something that I will definetely do. Also I have added the max for memory for a total of 8 Gigs. My question is on the quad the processor speed starts at 1.73 GHz  with a boost to 3.06 and on the duo it starts at 2.40 GHz with a boost to 2.93 GHz, I don't really understand these new chips and I am confused about the 1.73 GHz is that not low in comparison to the 2.40 GHz. I apologize if the question is silly I am just trying to clarify.

Also I am attaching the specs for the Laptop I currently have and would like your opinion as to how much of a difference in performance do you think it will be if I go with the laptop with the quad processor, would it be a marginal difference in performance or quite a change?

I appreciate your input and I thank you for your time

• 5. Re: Does Adobe Master Collection CS4 work on Quad processors?
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

In comparison to what you currently have, the second option will not be a real upgrade. Performance gains will be limited, because is still is a duo core. Option 1 OTOH is a sizable upgrade, because you move to a quad core with HT, so it will look like 8 cores.

The i7 range has a so called Turbo mode, which effectively means that the BCLK (base clock) is multiplied by a certain number to give you a certain clock speed. For thermal and electrical reasons the number is pretty low in idle mode or when there is no strain on the system, hence the 1.73 clock speed. It conserves energy, making your battery last longer and generates less heat. Now when you put the system under strain, the CPU is automatically throttled up to Turbo mode with a much higher multiplier, increasing the clock speed to 3.06. Of course energy consumption goes up, battery life is reduced and temps go up, so this is only done when the load is high enough, like when encoding.

On the i7-920 for instance, the multiplier when idle is 12, but can be increased to 20 under load (giving a standard clock speed of BCLK x Multiplier = 133 x 20 = 2.66 GHz). In Turbo mode the multiplier rises to 21, giving a clock speed of 2.8 GHz. The newer i7-720QM has an improved Turbo mode and can change the multiplier between 12 and 23 in Turbo mode.

What it boils down to is that the lower multiplier is used when you are considering what text to use in your subtitle and typing that in, which is fast enough at that moment, but when you render the timeline or encode to MPEG or H.264, Turbo mode is used and the clock speed goes up to 3.06 GHz.

One worry about option 1 is the screen resolution in comparison to your current system, only 1600 x 900 instead of the nicer 1920 x 1080 on a 17"screen.

I haven't seen any benchmark results on this CPU, so it will be difficult to make an educated guess on the performance gain, but my gut feeling is that it will be at least 2.5 - 3 times faster than your current system.

• 6. Re: Does Adobe Master Collection CS4 work on Quad processors?
                    Scott Chichelli Level 3

neither are much of an upgrade from what you have.

the new i5/i7 mobile are not all that.

here are some benchnarks, while for audio they translate to video as well.

GHz is still king for many things

http://www.adkproaudio.com/benchmarks.cfm

the dual core 620m pretty much beat the Q820.

the older T9600 (same family you have with the P8700) beat them all until the hardest hitting (lower buffer harder hitting)

only laptop upgrade thats worth it would be a laptop that has a desktop core i7 920 in it.

Scott

ADK

• 7. Re: Does Adobe Master Collection CS4 work on Quad processors?
                      grimil Level 1

Thank you so much for your help. And thanks for pointing out the screen resolution, I completely overlooked that!

Due to that, I have decided to go with Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-820QM Quad Core Processor (1.73GHz 8MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 3.06GHz, this is a 18" display with a 1920 by 1080p High Definition Screen.

However on this one the graphics card is 1GB Nvidia GeForce GT 230M and on the first choice it was 1GB Nvidia GeForce GT 320M (am I gaining screen resolution and loosing a better graphics card?) Should I stay with the first choice? Everything else is pretty much the same.

Again thank you so much for your input and help. I have been reading the other posting and the information you are putting there is extremely helpful. Thank you for taking the time to help us all out!

• 8. Re: Does Adobe Master Collection CS4 work on Quad processors?
                        Jeff Bellune Level 6

only laptop upgrade thats worth it would be a laptop that has a desktop core i7 920 in it.

I've got a new laptop with a core i7 820 that I'm happy with so far.

8 GB 1333 DDR3 RAM

500 GB 7200 RPM internal SATA hard drive configured as AHCI

500 GB 7200 RPM external eSATA hard drive

nVIDIA GeForce GTS 250M w1GB GDDR3

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

15.4" 1680x1050 Glossy screen

About 6 lbs. with battery

My road trips are suddenly going to be a lot more fun.

-Jeff

PS - I just got my glasses prescription strength increased all because of that @#$%&! screen!

• 9. Re: Does Adobe Master Collection CS4 work on Quad processors?
                          Scott Chichelli Level 3

but what did you upgrade from?

what does show pretty good on the newer is the memory bump from 800 DDR2 to the 1333 DDR3

Scott

• 10. Re: Does Adobe Master Collection CS4 work on Quad processors?
                            Jeff Bellune Level 6

but what did you upgrade from?

Pentium 4 3.4 GHz

2 GB RAM

2x 7200 RPM 100 GB internal IDE hard drives

ATI Radeon Mobility 9700

17" 1650x1080 Glossy screen

Windows XP SP3 32-bit

About 12 lbs. with battery

(purchased 6 years ago)

-Jeff

• 11. Re: Does Adobe Master Collection CS4 work on Quad processors?
                              Scott Chichelli Level 3

now thatas an upgrade! and much lighter

was that a Clevo from us?

how are you capturing on your new laptop?

Scott

ADK

• 12. Re: Does Adobe Master Collection CS4 work on Quad processors?
                                Jeff Bellune Level 6

was that a Clevo from us?

No, it was a Clevo from Sager.

how are you capturing on your new laptop?

I haven't done that yet, but it'll be tethered firewire in OnLocation when I do.  Right now, I'm capturing to my desktop system then transferring the media to my eSATA drive, which is my media drive for the laptop.

When I move to HD, it'll likely be AVCHD so "capture" will be from the media cards.  (And Harm, I don't plan on producing docos for the BBC or Discovery, so I figure I can get by with one of those mediocre-but-expensive AVCHD camcorders)

-Jeff