1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 22, 2010 8:07 PM by Todd_Kopriva

I really need some help with rendering

JamesMediaMan Level 1

I am creating a video for a client, and he is going to stream it through his own player. He requires the video to play using dimentions of 430 x 242.

He wants to keep the file sizes as small as possible.

I am currently creating his videos using a 1280 x 720 composition, as this is the same aspect ratio as his specific dimentions.

I am unsure of the best settings to use for the best quality. I've tried MOV but am getting files that are 600+ MB, and I'm also trying MPEG4 but getting blurry, washed out results that look nothing like the preview in AE. I've tried Flash and it stutters.

My questions:

1. Should I render in 1280 x 720 and just ask him to re-size them through his player? (I assume most players can do this?) or should I render to the dimensions of 430 x 242? He doesn't have too much knowledge of video.

2. What is the best file format and settings?

3. Is it possible to re-set the render option defaults? I've played around with all of the setting so much that I can't remember how each file format was set before I started this project. I've tried re-starting AE but it still leaves me with the same settings as when I closed it.

Every time I post a question like this I get people telling me to 'read the basics' or 'we get asked this time and time again etc'. Please note that I have a disability and am finding this very tough - if it isn't too much trouble I'd just appriciate someone giving the information so that I can learn in from here. It will need to be explained simply as yes I am fairly new to AE.

I just can't seem to find anything which works. MPEG4's are giving me a suitable file size but then look blurred and washed out.

Many thanks for any help.

• 1. Re: I really need some help with rendering
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

First question: What player is your client going to be using to play this? Everything depends on that. For example, if he's going to be playing the file using QuickTime Player, then the answer is pretty easy: create a QuickTime movie (.mov).

> Should I render in 1280 x 720 and just ask him to re-size them through his player?

No, not if you've been told that he wants a 430x242 file. If you make a big movie (in terms of frame dimensions) and have him resize it, then you're going to create much larger files than necessary.

> I am unsure of the best settings to use for the best quality. I've tried MOV but am getting files that are 600+ MB

The QuickTime movie (.mov) format is just a container format. It can contain video encoded using any of a large number of codecs, with any of a range of quality settings. The default is a lossless compression (using the Animation codec) that creates perfect images at the expense of larger files.

After you've added your composition to the render queue, choose QuickTime as your format in the Output Module Settings dialog box and then click the Format Options button in the Output Module Settings dialog box. You can choose a compression type, set quality, et cetera. People seem to like the H.264 codec for a good balance of size and quality.

See "Encoding and compression options for movies" for more information.