• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Best approaches to writing procedures with numbered list items?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2010 Feb 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I have been using RH7 HTML for a while now, and fortunately I have been writing stuff that did not require me to write lots of procedures (using numbered list styles), although I did do some last year. But now I have to do a lot of them.

I am finding the RH7 HTML Design editor really quite bad when it comes to writing procedures. I find that the numbering stops or restarts, and have trouble controlling the indenting. Since I think I know HTML/CSS quite well now, I often go into the HTML pane and fix up the code and that makes it come out well. But that is a pain.

One idea I had and I am going to try now is to simply ignore the numbering on my first pass, and just write my content and surround the paragraphs that require numbering with the strings STEP_L1 and ENDSTEP. And when I have completed a decent sized piece of work I will go into a code editor and do Find+Replace on STEP_L1 and ENDSTEP to change them to the appropriate HTML+CSS tags.

So I would be interested in hearing tips on how to get up to speed in writing procedures. When I do these in Word, I zip along. But in RH every additional procedure step gives a headache.

-------------------------

While on this subject, here is another question on numbering: is there a way of getting "labeled " numbering, e.g., Step 1, Step 2, and so on?  Maybe really a CSS question and not appropriate here.

TIA

Avraham

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 23, 2010 Feb 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

You can find all list-style-types on http://www.w3schools.com/css/pr_list-style-type.asp

As for procedures, I only delete all inline styling. I don't know what you need in the first and the last step. If you be more specific, I may know of a way. Also, be sure to check out http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/selector.html#pattern-matching to see the CSS2 matching you can use in your style sheet.

Normally, every lists starts numbering at 1, this includes nested lists. To start another numbering, you need to set the start attribute in the list tag. This attribute is deprecated, but there's no alternative... See http://www.w3schools.com/tags/att_ol_start.asp

Greet,

Willam

This e-mail is personal. For our full disclaimer, please visit www.centric.eu/disclaimer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2010 Feb 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response!

avraham

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2010 Feb 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

>> One idea I had and I am going to try now is to simply ignore the numbering on my first pass, and just write my content and surround the paragraphs that require numbering with the strings STEP_L1 and ENDSTEP. And when I have completed a decent sized piece of work I will go into a code editor and do Find+Replace on STEP_L1 and ENDSTEP to change them to the appropriate HTML+CSS tags.

This idea worked very well. I could concentrate on the content instead of wrestling with the numbering every time. Then, when I had completed a page I loaded it into a good text editor and did a Find+Replace as above. I had to do a bit of tweaking here and there but the direction was clear and before long I had numbered steps at every item that I wanted.

avraham

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp