16 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2010 10:46 AM by Michael Thornburgh

PORT NUMBER of RTMFP?

satheeshpallath12

Hai,

My firewall is blocking UDP so can anyone tell me which port i have to enable to allow UDP.I'm using RTMFP protocol...

Itz an urgent....

• 1. Re: PORT NUMBER of RTMFP?
          Vivek Lakhanpal Level 1

try opening

UDP 10000-10100 and UDP 1935

Thanks & Regards,

Vivek Lakhanpal.

Phone: +91-987-608-2125

http://viveklakhanpal.wordpress.com

http://viveklakhanpal.spaces.live.com

• 2. Re: PORT NUMBER of RTMFP?
            Michael Thornburgh Adobe Employee

opening those ports may allow you to talk to Stratus in its current configuration, but P2P connections will almost certainly not work.  you really need to allow all UDP >1023, or at least "outbound UDP".

• 3. Re: PORT NUMBER of RTMFP?
              Vivek Lakhanpal Level 1

Thanks for sharing this information Michael, Actually we faced this p2p

connection problem a year back when we were working on initial Stratus lab

release and then we tried opening these ports and it worked for us.

"you really need to allow all UDP >1023, or at least "outbound UDP". - Does

that means every networked environment has to open these ports for

successful p2p connection?

Actually i am not clear what do you meant by "allow you to talk to Stratus

in its current configuration, but P2P connections will almost certainly not

work" can we talk on stratus without connecting to p2p?

Thanks & Regards,

Vivek Lakhanpal.

• 4. Re: PORT NUMBER of RTMFP?

"Stratus" is the RTMFP hosted server you connect to when you make a connection.  it is the "stratus.adobe.com" in "rtmfp://stratus.adobe.com/".  this service translates peerIDs to network addresses so that Flash Player and AIR applications can communicate directly with each other over the Internet using RTMFP.

i mean "current configuration" because only UDP port 1935 is fixed for RTMFP.  the other ports used by Stratus (10000 -> 10100) are an artifact of the structure of the service and the ports we've configured the components to use.  we could change them at any time.

• 5. Re: PORT NUMBER of RTMFP?
                  Vivek Lakhanpal Level 1

"i mean "current configuration" because only UDP port 1935 is fixed for

RTMFP."

So that means if I only have UDP port 1935 open for inbound/outbound i shall

be able to successfully connect to p2p and have stratus working in future.

Thanks & Regards,

Vivek Lakhanpal.

• 6. Re: PORT NUMBER of RTMFP?

no, if you *only* allow port 1935, you won't even connect to Stratus, as it uses other ports as well.  currently, those ports are 10000+ but that is just how we've configured it.  there's nothing intrinsically special about those port numbers.

peers (Flash Players and AIR) use random UDP ports in the range 1024..65535.  P2P connections are directly between one peer and another, so it must be possible to send UDP packets from and to any combination of ports in that range.

• 7. Re: PORT NUMBER of RTMFP?
                      Vivek Lakhanpal Level 1

Thanks again for the information Michael,

"peers (Flash Players and AIR) use random UDP ports in the range

1024..65535.  P2P connections are directly between one peer and another, so

it must be possible to send UDP packets from and to any combination of ports

in that range."

I was just wondering that can be one of the reason that during testing last

time we got one of our colleague testing from home and he was not able to

talk to us in office even though his p2p connection status was true. Whereas

I was able to talk to him from my home.

Now the question here is that as i was reading this article

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashmediaserver/articles/p2p_rtmfp_groups_print.html.

there i see this line "Another benefit to using the Stratus service is that

it has the ability to assist with UDP hole punching enabling the P2P mesh to

traverse many NATs and firewalls."   Do i ask any networked environment like

ours to open all UDP ports rage 1024-65535 for outbound or inbound traffic

for successful p2p working? or Status can do it on it's own if it's just

able to connect to stratus only.

I might be confusing myself here a bit because of my limited knowledge of

networking. But I just wanted to clear the things just in case I have to

suggest someone to jump in for p2p solution he should know the problem

barrier for it to work properly.

Thanks & Regards,

Vivek Lakhanpal.

• 8. Re: PORT NUMBER of RTMFP?
                        satheeshpallath12 Level 1

Hai Sir,

We configured Port 1935. What u are saying is enabling 1935 is not enough for establishing p2p connection.Is it compulsary to enable all UDP ports >1023?

• 9. Re: PORT NUMBER of RTMFP?
                          Vivek Lakhanpal Level 1

Yes what i have figured out so far is that you have to enabled UDP ports

higher then 10000 to successfully connect to Stratus service.

for p2p communication as Flash players use random UDP ports in the range

1024..65535 so if you have some UDP ports in that range open that should be

suffice to get you going. (Michael can comment accurately on that part).

Thanks & Regards,

Vivek Lakhanpal.

• 10. Re: PORT NUMBER of RTMFP?

Hai sir,

i mean "current configuration" because only UDP port 1935 is fixed for RTMFP.  the other ports used by Stratus (10000 -> 10100) are an artifact of the structure of the service and the ports we've configured the components to use.  we could change them at any time.

What do u mean by this?

if we enable ports 10000-10100,can we start p2p communication?

OR

Is it essential to enable all UDP ports from 1024-65534?

we are using Stratus.

PLZ reply...

Advanced Thanks....

• 11. Re: PORT NUMBER of RTMFP?

UDP port 1935 and ports 10000+ are used by the Stratus servers.  the UDP ports used on client computers could be any port from 1024..65535.

in order to just connect to the Stratus servers, you must be able to send and receive UDP packets with any UDP port on your client computer (source port for outgoing, destination port for incoming) and port 1935 and ports 10000+ on the Stratus server computers (destination port for outgoing, source port for incoming).

*just* connecting to Stratus isn't useful, though, since all it can do is help you to connect directly to other clients running Flash Player or AIR.  other client computers, just like your client computer, will be using a random UDP port in the range 1024..65535.  therefore, in order to communicate P2P with other client computers using RTMFP, you must do one of the two following things:

1) allow all UDP with a source or destination port from 1024..65535.

2) have a "stateful firewall" that allows bidirectional UDP connections to and from any UDP ports in the range 1024 through 65535 inclusive as long as a first packet is sent outbound through the firewall.  this is commonly called "allowing outbound UDP".  sending the first packet outbound through your firewall to allow return packets is commonly called "UDP hole punching".  searching on these terms should give you more information.

in general, a firewall that blocks UDP will block RTMFP communication.

• 12. Re: PORT NUMBER of RTMFP?

Hai sir,

Can we write code in our program to direct the traffic only through port 1935.Also the flash players has to use this port only.can we do like that,without enabling all the ports from 1024-65535?

• 14. Re: PORT NUMBER of RTMFP?

sir,

For getting connection to stratus,is it required to enable all ports >1023? We enabled 1935.

still I'm not getting any success stratus connection.

Plz reply..

• 15. Re: PORT NUMBER of RTMFP?
                                    Vivek Lakhanpal Level 1

I think Michael has replied to this query above:

"no, if you only allow port 1935, you won't even connect to Stratus, as it

uses other ports as well.  currently, those ports are 10000+ but that is

just how we've configured it.  there's nothing intrinsically special about

those port numbers.

peers (Flash Players and AIR) use random UDP ports in the range

1024..65535.  P2P connections are directly between one peer and another, so

it must be possible to send UDP packets from and to any combination of ports

in that range.

"

only 1935 won't do you need some ports above 10000 open for UDP.

Thanks & Regards,

Vivek Lakhanpal.

1 person found this helpful
                                    • 16. Re: PORT NUMBER of RTMFP?

i'm sure i've answered this multiple times already.  i hope this is clear:

in order to connect to Stratus and to make P2P connections to other clients, you MUST allow all UDP ports > 1023.  if you restrict UDP ports, you may no longer connect to Stratus, and you probably won't connect to other clients.