8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2010 3:03 AM by devseven7

4:3 to 16:9 project will not export - marriage in trouble - help!

devseven7

Hi

I'm using CS4, and I'm editing a friend's wedding video as a favour, clearly quite a big one. He used a pro camerman, who shot in widescreen. I'm so used to filming and editing my own 4:3 footage, that I just forgot, and captured the whole project (several hours) and began editing without even noticing my mistake; all the widescreen footage had been captured as 4:3.

Once I realised what I'd done (halfway through the project), I did a bit of googling and figured there'd be a work around, even if I have to stretch the pixels and lose a bit of quality. But having come to the end of the editing process and tried to export, strange things are happening.

All my footage appears and plays as 4:3 in Windows Explorer and VLC. But in the source monitor in PP it's widescreen. On all the sequences' program monitor - except one - it appears as 4:3. But on just one sequence the program monitor shows widescreen. Copying footage from other sequences meant that appeared as widescreen, too. But exporting from there, even though everythign looked right in the encoder, created a 4:3 final film. Opening up a new project, and importing the old project, led to exactly the same result, although I haven't yet tried to stretch the 4:3 footage (because at the moment, this won't solve the problem of the sequence that appears to be widescreen but renders as 4:3)

I'm confused as to why one sequence would behave differently; I certainly can't think of settings that may have been changed.

I have to hand this over to an old friend on Thursday who's having problems with his marriage - she's terrifying, actually - and he is going to get in a lot of trouble if his precious DVD is late. Please help if you can...

Thanks for reading

D.

• 1. Re: 4:3 to 16:9 project will not export - marriage in trouble - help!
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If your footage is widescreen you should edit it like widescreen and export as widescreen.

Make a new sequence (no need for a new project) with the widescreen dv setting.

Copy and paste your footage into that seqence.

Now in the right monitor, the program monitor everything should look widescreen and people should not look strechted in the length.

Now file/dynamic link/ send to Encore and let Encore handle the encoding.

Choose a widescreen menu.

widescreen ntsc.png

send to Encore.png

• 2. Re: 4:3 to 16:9 project will not export - marriage in trouble - help!
            devseven7 Level 1

thanks a lot Ann; that's great, haven't started transcoding yet, but the settings look right in Encore

one thing before I transcode; one of my sequences (a highlights video) nests a couple of other sequences (ceremony, speeches), and this footage now appears as 4:3 with the black bars - is there an easy way of correcting those source sequences?

• 3. Re: 4:3 to 16:9 project will not export - marriage in trouble - help!
              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Copy the footage to a new correct widescreen sequence and nest them in your main sequence.

• 4. Re: 4:3 to 16:9 project will not export - marriage in trouble - help!
                devseven7 Level 1

ah yikes, I'm probably being really stupid here, sorry

or I haven't explained myself well enough

I have an original 'ceremony' sequence trapped in 4:3

I've nested this into a 'highlights' sequence (initially 4:3) then edited it, so there are lots of little clips of the 'ceremony' sequence among clips of source footage

copying and pasting all this 'highlights' footage into a new widescreen sequence means everything now appears widescreen, except for all of the clips edited from the 'ceremony' nested sequence, which are elongated 4:3 with the black bars

I can't change the original sequence settings of the ceremony sequence

And I can't make the nexted ceremony sequence clips in the highlights sequence refer to another sequence

so copying the footage to another sequence and then nesting it, no matter which way round I do it, always results in 4:3 with black bars (because of the setting of the original ceremony sequence)

any thoughts?

sorry, again, I'm probably missing something obvious...

• 5. Re: 4:3 to 16:9 project will not export - marriage in trouble - help!
                  TradeWind Level 3

Right click on the clips in your project bin and select "Interpret footage." You should see an option to choose the correct pixel aspect ratio for DV Widescreen. I think you can select multiple clips at once and do this, but the point is you'll need to make sure all your clips have the correct footage interpretation selected.

Assuming you captured via firewire, there should be no issue (DV footage is transferred, actually, not captured...so the footage is not "altered" at all by any capture settings you may have, but the interpretation method may be incorrect, which is why you'll need to correct it).

Once you have the proper interpretation, drop your footage in a DV widescreen sequence and it will display properly without any further adjustments. Then during export, be sure again to select a preset with "widescreen" listed (check the export screen to be sure it displays the way you like). If you create your own preset or modify one, just be sure that the pixel aspect ratio is matched to your footage (DV widescreen).

Also, please note that when you change the footage interpretation method, this applies to all the clips in any sequences you currently have them in...so if you've got your clips in a 4:3 sequence, you'll need to copy and paste the CONTENTS of your sequence into a new widescreen sequence. Dragging and dropping a 4:3 sequence into a widescreen sequence will not work...regardless of the footage items themselves. When you nest a 4:3 sequence in a 16:9 sequence, the footage item is the sequence (NOT the original footage items themselves) so you will still see pillar boxes on left/right if you do it that way.

Again, if you've already done all your edits in a 4:3 preset, just copy and paste all CONTENTS of that sequence to the new widescreen sequence and your newly applied footage interpretations should appear correctly.

Hope that helps! Sorry if I was too vague, I'm not sitting in front of my editor right now so that's just from memory.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: 4:3 to 16:9 project will not export - marriage in trouble - help!
                    devseven7 Level 1

thanks Christian

the problem footage is interpreted OK as widescreen

but it's in a 4:3 sequence that has been nested onto a widescreen sequence and then edited into many different clips, which are merged with original footage

I can't change the settings of 4:3 sequence

and I can't make the edited nested sequence refer to another sequence

so I'm just going to have to redo the work, right?

• 7. Re: 4:3 to 16:9 project will not export - marriage in trouble - help!
                      TradeWind Level 3

Yes, you're correct on all parts unfortunately. Wow, sounds like a real mess

You COULD make the edited sequence refer to another sequence, but it would be tedious at best, and not really save you much time over editing it all over again.

Sorry for the bad news.

• 8. Re: 4:3 to 16:9 project will not export - marriage in trouble - help!
                        devseven7 Level 1

thanks Christian

All worked great in the end; had to re-edit the problem sequence, which took me a lot less time than I'd spent trying to work out a way to do it automatically...oh well