4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2010 1:51 PM by Francisc

Inertia

Francisc Level 3

Hello!

How can I implement INERTIA when rotating something on mouse roll over for example?

To take into account the mouse "speed" would be nice

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Inertia
          archemedia Level 4

If you want to implement physics in your app, then time, speed etc. are important.

You could start by adding a timer to your app. The time handler (which can be set to a few milliseconds) could add x or y coördinates to an array. The diffrence of the values in this array enable you to calculate speed and/or direction of the mouse! If you use this information into basic physical formulas, you can simulate gravity, inertia and whatever you want. It's a bit of mathematics, but it's great fun!

Does this help?

Dany

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Inertia
            Francisc Level 3

Hm, yeah, that much I figured with the exception of how speed is calcualated, I was thinking checking speed between 2 points within 100 milliseconds was enough.

My problem is don't know how I can take that and implement gravity or inertia for example.

• 3. Re: Inertia
              archemedia Level 4

For gravity, you don't need speed, you just need acceleration which is 9,81 in falling movements.

Since s = v * t (distance = speed * time) and a = v / t (acceleration = speed / time) you can put s = a * t * t

In falling movements, acceleration = gravity so s = g * t * t.

About measuring speed:

Now, suppose you move your mouse rapidly from left to right and you measure the x position every 10 milliseconds, you could create an array like [50, 250, 600, 400, 120, -50]. If you add the absolute differences between each position, you'd get 200 + 350 + 200 + 280 + 170 = 1200 over 50 milliseconds. That's a speed of 24 pixels/second. You can use this value in a physical formula.

Like I said, inertia is a factor in a more complex formula, but the principle stays the same. Your mouse movement is a dynamic factor.

O'Reilly has a very good book on this: Physics for game developers:

http://www.amazon.com/Physics-Game-Developers-David-Bourg/dp/0596000065

I can't write the code for you because it would take me too much time, as much as I would like to though

Hope this helps

Dany

• 4. Re: Inertia
                Francisc Level 3

Very clever, thanks!

Because of Flex, I am always looking for built-in classes instead of doing what I would do in PHP (for example) which is write my own, even if PHP has nothing to do with physics.

To get an accurate reading for speed I should do the distance of the slope between (x1,y1) and (x2,y2) I think though.

Thank you!