9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2010 10:03 AM by si755

Adobe Premiere CS4 and Sony HDR SR 11 camera

si755

Hello all,

I looked for some additional help on this and I did not see it, so I was hoping some of you with more experience than I could assist me.

I have a Sony HDR SR 11 camera and when I import its AVCHD files to my computer I used the latest PMB software from sony. When I import the M2TS files into premiere there is a lot of digital noise in the preview. Sometimes when I render the footage from the camera everything looks fine, but other times the video will skip once its rendered. The subject or person in the video will flash or jump back and forth. Think of how they used to do Max Headroom back in the 1980's if you are familiar with that. The audio is fine, but the video skips after a render.

Is there something I am doing wrong with this? I relaize I may not have provided enough information, but I am uncertain what else you all might need to know. So, please if you need more information then let me know.

I would appreciate any guidance.

• 1. Re: Adobe Premiere CS4 and Sony HDR SR 11 camera
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, you have posted to the Premiere forum. This is the program that was the precursor of PrPro. I'm sure that the MOD's will move this out to the PrPro forum, so that more folk can see your problem and can give you good suggestions.

With AVCHD footage, your system, especially the CPU, is very important. Please give the full specs. of your system. Those specs. will be very helpful.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - welcome to the forum.

• 2. Re: Adobe Premiere CS4 and Sony HDR SR 11 camera
            Harm Millaard Level 7

Like Bill said, further details on your hardware are required to help you, but for AVCHD material anything less than an i7 CPU and 3 or more physical SATA disks will be troublesome.

• 3. Re: Adobe Premiere CS4 and Sony HDR SR 11 camera
              si755 Level 1

Sorry for posting in the wrong section. I thought I was in Pro.

Yes, I actually  have an i7 12mb RAM. I do have one SATA and I use a firewire for an external drive. I know it is not ideal, but it is what I was working with now. The odd thing is that I have Sony Vegas and the computer handles that no problem and the video is fine. I prefer to use Premiere as it is a better program and it has features I like to use that Vegas does not.

The camera records in HD: MPEG4 AVC/H.264. So, I cannot seem to get it to work right when I choose that 1080i preset. Does that information help you? I would think it would be my system, but I could use vegas if I wanted to. I have zero problems with vegas and the files. But I really want to use Premiere with this.

I hope that cleared it up some.

EDIT

Lastly, I know that you cannot change a project preset once you begin a new project, but is there a way to display the preset you chose once the project is open?

• 4. Re: Adobe Premiere CS4 and Sony HDR SR 11 camera
                Harm Millaard Level 7
                Lastly, I know that you cannot change a project preset once you begin a new project, but is there a way to display the preset you chose once the project is open?

Yes, with the timeline active go to Sequence/Sequence Settings and it is displayed.

Have a look at the third guide. It mentions Vista, but in general also applies to Win7: How to get the best from a PC? Some guides...

Specifically look at the http://www.blackviper.com/Windows_7/servicecfg.htm guide. Many have found that tuning services will give you a significant performance gain.

• 5. Re: Adobe Premiere CS4 and Sony HDR SR 11 camera
                  si755 Level 1

Thanks Harm! I appreciate that info. I couldn't find it because I wasn't on the timeline when selecting it. You saved me a headache on that one.

• 6. Re: Adobe Premiere CS4 and Sony HDR SR 11 camera
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Happy to have been of service. I do hope you find the tuning guide and the services article useful as well and that it improves performance for you. If you look at the http://ppbm4.com benchmark results of HAF932, who has two results in the list, you can see how he benefited from these settings.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Adobe Premiere CS4 and Sony HDR SR 11 camera
                      si755 Level 1

Dear Harm and anyone else who reads this and might be able to help:

I have a new theory.

I thought I fixed the problem and I did some short test renders and everything seemed to be okay. I then did a complete render and I got the same errors where the subject "flickered."  What I am doing in the compostiion is replacing the footage with an after effects composition. I add effects so I can have that in the timeline and then I render that.

I can render the footage just fine when I do not do this. I did a test render and I did not get any errors.

So, I am thinking it is when I link the composition to after effects. I am not certain if this is correct or not, but it seems likely. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Please let me know.

• 8. Re: Adobe Premiere CS4 and Sony HDR SR 11 camera
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Based on your information, I suggest you try not DL'ing (dynamic linking) between PR and AE, but rendering your comp in AE and then importing that rendered comp. It may seem more work, but has the advantage of reducing the load on your system, which is already under load from the AVCHD material you are editing. DL' ing only adds to that and maybe the two issues combined cause your troubles. I'm only guessing here.

• 9. Re: Adobe Premiere CS4 and Sony HDR SR 11 camera
                          si755 Level 1

Harm,

Yes, that is exactly what I am doing right now. I didn't assume it was what I was doing with dynamic link that could be causing it. And, I was planning to keep trying to figure out what was wrong so I could fix dynamic link. I have read in certain forums that some people have problems with using it. It is hard to tell if this is accurate information or not, but it does seem to have some issues with it.

Yes, it is a bit more work to render in AE first and then import to Premiere Pro. I am more worried about loosing quality than I am about time at this point.

I appreciate your help. I think you are right. I am going to keep trying to work with this. If dynamin link needs a lot of "power" in a computer to work with it, then I wonder about the extent of its utility.

EDIT UPDATE:

Odd. Now, I am getting a similar error when I try and render straight out of after effects.

When I open dynamic link and render the dynamic linked file from After Effects, the video turns out fine. (at least thus far with my test renders) Bringing in the file directly into After effects yeilds problems. I am trying to learn as much as I can, but these odd issues are out of my scope of experience and knowledge. It will take me time to learn and try and find information on this all.