8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2010 12:00 PM by the_wine_snob

New to Photoshop premiere elements 8.0

Ruidoso_ giess

I am new to using any type of editing software. I need the very begining how to use these program. So far what I seen got me totally lost and was no help. Asking were do I go for beginning help?

• 1. Re: New to Photoshop premiere elements 8.0
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

His FAQ Entry, will get you started. Muvipix has tutorials, the Learning Series, and links to several of Steve Grisetti's excellent books on both PSE and PrE.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: New to Photoshop premiere elements 8.0
            MissMoppett Level 1

Far and away the best tutorials I have ever seen are a set of 5 DVDs from Colin Barrett (www.simplydv.co.uk). They are based on Prem El 7 and for those in US of A, you will hear an English voice. Well maybe that's a plus, for you. (Sorry Mr Grisetti).

• 3. Re: New to Photoshop premiere elements 8.0
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              for those in US of A, you will hear an English voice. Well maybe that's a plus, for you.

One of the things that I miss most is listening to the English speak. Now, on the streets of Mayfair, English (either US, or UK), is the very last language that one will hear spoken - a real shame! I have to get out of London all together to hear the proper language. It was not always so, but certainly is now.

Hunt

PS - not familiar with that tutorial series. Thanks for the recs.

• 4. Re: New to Photoshop premiere elements 8.0
                nealeh Level 5

Looking at the DVD Tutorial Samplers it seem as though SimplyDV have obtained permission to use the Adobe sample project from "Classroom in a Book". There are additional topics, samplers of which are on their YouTube channel, but it's not clear how much of the five DVD set is devoted to original material.

But, as you say, there is a good British accent to the narration.

flag.png

Cheers,
                --
                Neale
                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 5. Re: New to Photoshop premiere elements 8.0
                  nealeh Level 5

How odd.

Duplicated post removed

• 6. Re: New to Photoshop premiere elements 8.0
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

Duplicate posts have been happening for a couple of weeks now. About the time that you were posting, the Adobe fora went down for the second time is morning. I think that I had about six dupe posts last week, and half of those were my my alter-ego, WAHunt3, who showed up out of the clear blue, when Adobe logged me out, and him in.

I know that Adobe is working on trying to get the Attach File function back up, with greater security in place, so that might explain things a bit.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: New to Photoshop premiere elements 8.0
                      Paul787 Level 3

This forum here is what helped me finish my first project. An editing program like Premiere Elements is VERY confusing the first time.

Maybe a few questions might help. What type of camcorder are you using? Is your computer relatively new? Do you have a Firewire input into your computer?

Since this your first time using a video editing program, I'd suggest making your first project very simple like importing no more then 2 or 3 short clips into Premiere Elements and working with them first to start getting a feel for the program.

• 8. Re: New to Photoshop premiere elements 8.0
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Back with PrE 4, there were sample AVI and WAV files for that first Project. I believe that these were eliminated with PrE 7, and doubt that they exist in PrE 8. Especially for the first-time user, these were great tools to speed up the learning process. As there was no real manual in that version, one was a bit more on their own, with how they used and learned from these, but they were available. I still use some of these, when testing for an answer here, as they are small, of known characteristics and easy to manipulate.

I would also like to see more books with full inter-activity, like the Adobe Classroom in a Book, for PrE. There are some excellent books on the program, many written by our "author in residence," Steve Grisetti, but for some, the act of doing a Capture is a bit along the learning curve. Also, with the trial versions, some might not yet have a video camera. I do recommend that one download some of the free footage from Muvipix, and use those as test footage.

Good luck to all,

Hunt