6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2010 2:15 PM by Colin Brougham

Branch selecting

mentalcase129 Level 1

I'm using Premiere Pro CS3 to edit/composite some Flash animation.  I rendered out a scene from Flash in a bunch of different layers so that I could put some independent effects on the characters but I want to now scale and move them in unison to simulate a camera move.  This doesn't seem like anything that should be too difficult but it seems that I can only resize or maneuver one layer at a time...does anybody know a way around this?  I just want to select a bunch of layers at once and move them around together.

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Branch selecting
          Colin Brougham Level 6

There is no direct way to parent certain layers to another in order to move them all en masse. However, you might be able to get away with nesting all you layers into another sequence, and then using that sequence as a clip within your "master" sequence. Probably the easiest way to do that is to select your clips in your master sequence, and then go to Clip > Nest; that will automatically create a nested sequence and move all the selected clips into that sequence. Then, you can animate just the nested sequence to move it as you need to.

Alternatively, you might animate just one layer, copy it, select all of the other layers you want to animate and select Edit > Paste Attributes. This process will apply the same transformations, effects, and animations that were present in the original clip. If you need to change the animation, you'd have to remove the effects/animations on all but one clip, modify the animation, and repeat the process. A little more clunky than the above, but you have direct access to all of your clips in one sequence instead of burying them within others.

• 2. Re: Branch selecting
            mentalcase129 Level 1

That sounds like a good idea but I can't get it to work 'nest' isn't an option in the clip menu...am I missing a step?

• 3. Re: Branch selecting
              Colin Brougham Level 6

Oh, you're in CS3... hmmm... I forgot that that command was added in CS4. Try this instead:

1. Create a new sequence, matching your original. Name it something logical; for explanation purposes, let's call it "NEST".
              2. In your original sequence, cut (Edit > Cut) the clips you want to nest.
              3. In the new empty sequence called NEST, paste (Edit > Paste) the clips; they'll appear in the sequence.
              4. Drag the NEST sequence from the Project Panel into your original sequence; it will drop into the timeline like any other clip. No matter how many tracks are in the NEST sequence, it will only appear as one track when you nest it into the original sequence.

Hope that helps!

• 4. Re: Branch selecting
                mentalcase129 Level 1

That worked...and its a handy trick but doesn't seem to help this particular scene...my source stuff was bigger than the screen size so that I can truck out but it seems to have cut off the outer edge so there's nothing but black around it when I scale down...and it doesn't look like I can start small and scale up without losing image quality.

Is this just a draw back of nesting or is there some way to get around that?

• 5. Re: Branch selecting
                  Level 4

sorry...am just following this and thought edit cut should be edit copy, but now I'm just listening to this thread...

Rod

• 6. Re: Branch selecting
                    Colin Brougham Level 6

That worked...and its a handy trick but doesn't seem to help this particular scene...my source stuff was bigger than the screen size so that I can truck out but it seems to have cut off the outer edge so there's nothing but black around it when I scale down...and it doesn't look like I can start small and scale up without losing image quality.

Is this just a draw back of nesting or is there some way to get around that?

Ah, I wondered if that might not present a problem. Fortunately, there is a solution, and it involves simply making a sequence with larger frame dimensions to match your source content. UNFORTUNATELY, you're using CS3 which locks you to a specific dimension based on a project; CS4 lets you have multiple sequences with different settings.

What you would probably have to do is to create a custom project that matches the scale of your clips, do your animations there, export as an AVI/MOV, and import into your final project. Kind of a two-step, unfortunately, but that kind of madness was largely done away with in CS4. After Effects would be another possibility--far more flexible than PPro when it comes to various dimensions--but that's another program to learn...

1 person found this helpful