5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2010 7:28 AM by Ralph3616

Placing an image on top of existing image

Ralph3616 Level 1

I seem to have a lot of trouble with placing an image on top of an existing image and then wanting it to stay relative to the original. As in... I want to put a button on an image of a map. Then later.. will make a hotspot on that area to open another window.

My trouble is with placing the button and then having it stay relative to the map no matter how the browser window moves or is sized.  What is the prefered method using DW CS4?  Can you point to a tutorial on how to do this...

Thanks for your time

Ralph

• 1. Re: Placing an image on top of existing image
          John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

To avoid layout issues, your best bet is to insert the button on the image in an image editor such as Photoshop or Fireworks then apply a hotspot in DW over the button.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Placing an image on top of existing image
            Ralph3616 Level 1

Thanks John W

That has been my solution up to now.. But, placing one image on top of another in a web page must be a task that happens all the time.. I just have not found a straight forward way to do it yet.

• 3. Re: Placing an image on top of existing image
              John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

But, placing one image on top of another in a web page must be a task that happens all the time.. I just have not found a straight forward way to do it yet.

It's really not common.

It can be done via layering (what Dreamweaver calls APDivs) but you may still get layout issues with browser resizing.

• 4. Re: Placing an image on top of existing image
                hans-g. Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi,

in addition to John's suggestion, I will ask you, whether it would be a solution to place the hotspot only over a defined part of the image?

Hans-G.

• 5. Re: Placing an image on top of existing image
                  Ralph3616 Level 1

Thanks John and Hans

I guess I should accept that it is not common... certainly the concept does not appear in any of the books or help that I have been looking at. Lots on placing images... but non on placing images on top of images.

Hal.. that has been my solution for my project. I have a "focus point" on my map ( a semi transparent button) placed with Photoshop. In Dreamweaver I then make a hot spot on that button that then uses  a JavaScript;: behavior to open a popup window.

All this works but I was thinking there should be a better way. I am very new at this web site design stuff and my fear is that I will struggle with something.. make it work.. only to have some "expert" judge my work and think... that was a damn stupid way to accomplish it.

Thanks again...