2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2010 5:14 AM by Steve Grisetti

I can't hear my narration!

comicsnatch

I have completed my project. It has a line for narration, a soundtrack, and music on the audio 1 line. I was unable to burn it to a DVD due to a "transcoding error" (I'm still not sure what that means.... it might have been because I have never used a DVD burner with my computer before). I tried to convert it to and AVI so that I could burn it on another computer that works with the DVD burner. It converted "successfully" but the music-to narration ratio was scewed to the point where you can hardly hear the narration if at all. I tried to convert to MPEG and had the same problem. In adobe I adjusted the volume of the narration and soundtrack so the narration was really loud and the music was really quiet and converted again, only to get the same results. I tried again to use the smart mix option, and that didn't make a difference either.

• 1. Re: I can't hear my narration!
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Often, a Transcoding error indicates a gap in the Video portion of the Timeline, though other problems can lead to this.

As for the balance of the Narration vs the other Audio, I use the Audio Mixer (Window>Audio Mixer) to adjust my Levels, and listen carefully with a good set of noise-canceling headphones. When you use the Audio Mixer, how do the various Tracks sound?

Good luck, and hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 2. Re: I can't hear my narration!
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you're using Smart Mix, that could be part of the problem. Smart Mix sets up keyframed audio levels automatically. (You'll see these as little dots along the audio tracks.)

As Hunt says, you can't depend on what you hear out of your speakers. You need to open the Audio Mixer and watch the levels for the individual tracks.

This is, of course, if we're talking about the narration track in Premiere Elements. If you're creating your slideshow in the Elements Organizer and adding your narration there, you may have something else going on.