6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2010 12:40 PM by glen08

HTTPService or RemoteObject to access servlet server?

glen08 Level 1

My server is based on Java servlet on Tomcat, but I'm not using any of the Adobe DataSource (BlazeDS, LCDS, ...).

Should I use HTTPService or RemoteObject w/ AMF to access the servlet server? What is the advantage of RemoteObject

over HTTPService?

If I want server "push"m do I have to use BlazeDS or LCDS...?

• 1. Re: HTTPService or RemoteObject to access servlet server?
          Vanden_B Level 1

Using RPC services

"When accessing RPC services with Flex tags such as the

<mx:WebService> and <mx:HTTPService> tags, your Flex application's SWF file must connect to the service directly, which means that it can encounter security-based limitations."

• 2. Re: HTTPService or RemoteObject to access servlet server?
            jake_flex

glen08 wrote:

My server is based on Java servlet on Tomcat, but I'm not using any of the Adobe DataSource (BlazeDS, LCDS, ...).

Should I use HTTPService or RemoteObject w/ AMF to access the servlet server? What is the advantage of RemoteObject

over HTTPService?

If I want server "push"m do I have to use BlazeDS or LCDS...?

When connecting to a servlet directly, you'll need to use HTTPService. RemoteObject works with BlazeDS and LCDS.

If you're using the binary AMF to communicate, then RemoteObject will be faster than HTTPService.

Some things are easier/better to do with regular servlet rather than with BlazeDS, such as file upload, but in general using RemoteObject and BlazeDS is faster and easier (just plain Java programming, no need to worry about the servlets)

Server push should be possible with normal servlets as well, but it could be easier to implement by using an already existing framework.

Which techonoly to use? Depends on your use cases and requirements.

P.S. My answer is based on experiences with BlazeDS, I know close to nothing about LCDS.

• 3. Re: HTTPService or RemoteObject to access servlet server?
              glen08 Level 1

jake_flex, How to do servlet server "push" to Flex w/o BlazeDS or LCDS? Is HTTPService or WebService enough?

• 4. Re: HTTPService or RemoteObject to access servlet server?
                saisri2k2 Level 4

@jake_flex     How do we do srver push without Blazeds? I'm keen to know.. that would help my project 2

• 5. Re: HTTPService or RemoteObject to access servlet server?
                  jake_flex Level 2

glen08 wrote:

jake_flex, How to do servlet server "push" to Flex w/o BlazeDS or LCDS? Is HTTPService or WebService enough?

I only said it should be possible, I didn't say I know how to do it.

By googling, you can find examples on the server side code. For Flex side most of the examples seem to be for BlazeDS.

The HTTPService seems only to dispatch result, invoke and fault event. With URLRequest you have more. Create a handler for each of the events and see which event is dispatched at which point.

But like I said, it's probably easier to implement this with BlazeDS.

• 6. Re: HTTPService or RemoteObject to access servlet server?
                    glen08 Level 1

I think AJAX should be used to do the "push" work. Flex can talk to JavaScript. Is this how BlazeDS does the "push"?