24 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2010 4:44 AM by pcguyseu

Matrox RTX-2 with CS4

joe bloe premiere Level 5

Has anyone had experience with CS4 in combination with Matrox RTX-2 card?

I have recently upgraded from PPro2, and found I never really used my RTX-2 for any of my client's projects in 2.0

because I needed cross-platform compatibility with systems not equipped to support the Matrox encoded media.

If there is no significant advantage I would be inclined to remove the giant card from my system,

improve airflow, and put it up for sale on EBay.

thanks

• 1. Re: Matrox RTX-2 with CS4
          Harm Millaard Level 7

That is about the best move you can make, but I hope you find a buyer. I still have an RTX.100 laying around, functioning as a doorstopper, what it was designed for.

• 2. Re: Matrox RTX-2 with CS4
            Colin Brougham Level 6

Get rid of it. Maybe you'll be lucky like me and find some sucker to take it off your hands at about half of what you paid for it.

Happy gutting! Er... I mean, cutting!

• 3. Re: Matrox RTX-2 with CS4

Thanks. That's what I figured.

It was sorta a fun toy for a while, but I never, ever put it in use on a job.

Fortunately, I didn't pay for it.

• 4. Re: Matrox RTX-2 with CS4
                Eric Jurg

The RTX2 offers a number of enhancements to Premiere: analog I/O, a large number of real time effects (excellent chroma key and color correction among them - a major improvement over the stock PPro filters), enhanced real time playback with effects, accelerated render and export (to certain formats), and DVI based external monitor support. There is also a software codec available for using Matrox codecs on non-Matrox systems. Also, the Matrox I-frame MPEG codec fills a major gap in Adobe's high quality codec offerings, much like ProRes does for FCP and DNxHD does for Avid.

That being said, Matrox is still playing catch-up with CS4 drivers, not offering all the accelerated export format options that were included in CS3 and earlier versions. Hopefully they will catch up with CS5. If Matrox can combine the capabilities of the Mercury engine in CS5 with the hardware (FPGA) based scaling engine on the RTX2 and Axio LE cards, they will continue to be the go-to system for editors who need maximum performance.

• 5. Re: Matrox RTX-2 with CS4

Hmmm.  You sound like a user/proponent.

Do you use it on all or only selected projects?

What is the software codec available for using Matrox codecs on non-Matrox systems?

• 6. Re: Matrox RTX-2 with CS4
                    Colin Brougham Level 6

The RTX2 offers a number of enhancements to Premiere: analog I/O, a large number of real time effects (excellent chroma key and color correction among them - a major improvement over the stock PPro filters), enhanced real time playback with effects, accelerated render and export (to certain formats), and DVI based external monitor support. There is also a software codec available for using Matrox codecs on non-Matrox systems. Also, the Matrox I-frame MPEG codec fills a major gap in Adobe's high quality codec offerings, much like ProRes does for FCP and DNxHD does for Avid.

That's what lured me in, but ultimately, Matrox's inability to provide a stability, trustworthy piece of hardware, and their complete negligence on simple things like HOW TO TREAT FIELD ORDER PROPERLY IN DV FILES!!!!!!!!!! correctly was enough to send me over the edge. Plus, I think most modern computers are fast enough to offer accelerated playback without leaning on third-party anchors addons like the RT.X2, and I/O can be handled by a number of other different manufacturers and means.

Sorry to sound like such a naysayer, but I spent so much time fighting with that f$#*ing thing instead of editing that I came way too close to going postal on my editing box... not fun times, and if I can help assuage others grief, I'm more than happy to.

But if it works for you, cool beans

• 7. Re: Matrox RTX-2 with CS4
                      Eric Jurg Level 1

Ahh, you must live in PAL land. I've had no real issues with either the RTX2 or the Axio (I have one of each), and yes, I typically work in Matrox projects, because then I can take advantage of accelerated rendering and real time effects. However, all the stock Premiere presets and features are still available after you install the Matrox card, so it's not like you are sacrificing anything by using the card. The Matrox software codecs will allow playback of Matrox I-frame MPEG2 clips on non-Matrox systems.

Most people who have problems with the Matrox hardware have not followed Matrox's system recommendations. This, unfortunately, is a very risky road to take.

• 8. Re: Matrox RTX-2 with CS4

The sacrifice to me would be no cross platform compatibility

of any Matrox effects in the timeline... so I couldn't use them.

My system was initially a build specifically designed for the RT.X2 with PPro2.

• 9. Re: Matrox RTX-2 with CS4
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

And that is the major drawback of a Matrox equipped system. It limits you to outdated hardware and a very limited choice of components. If you like that, go ahead, but I think it is better to have a system that is up-to-date and fast, rather than an outdated system with very limited capabilities just to have Matrox installed, where the rest of your system performance suffers all the time.

It looks like Matrox lovers prefer an old Beetle with fog lights, instead of the way faster Porsche Cayenne without fog lights (fog lights equal Matrox in this example).

• 10. Re: Matrox RTX-2 with CS4
                            Eric Jurg Level 1

Well, Harm, you are an experimenter, as we all know who read this forum. That's undoubtably why Matrox hasn't worked for you. But (for example) an Asus P6T with an i7 quad core and 12 GB DDR3 ram is a respectable system for most users, and quite compatable with the RTX2. As to cross platform compatability, this is an issue with any 3rd party software, not just Matrox. But I agree that in this case, you have to stick with straight Premiere with no 3rd party additions (unless you are into reinventing the wheel).

• 11. Re: Matrox RTX-2 with CS4

Thanks to all fot their input.

Does anyone want to buy a barely-used RT.X2?

• 12. Re: Matrox RTX-2 with CS4
                                Edit 1 Media Level 1

We have 3 systems with RTx2 cards. I actually have been a beta tester for them from the old RTx100 days. In fact, I tested one of the first X2 boards before they were released. The RTx2 card is still a viable product to use with CS4. Matrox just released updated drivers that add Windows 7 support. If I were you, I would at least try a few projects with the Matrox card and the latest drivers. On our quad core system, captured native HDV mpeg2 files won't play back smoothly for a 4 camera multi-cam. Drop those same multicam clips in a Matrox project and they play back super smooth.

For me, the RTx2 has been invaluable. We have done hundreds of projects on our RTx2 machines and for the most part, our systems are pretty stable. I am building a new system to replace the original computer I built for the RTx2. It was an older AMD dual core, and the new one will run Win 7 with an I7 proc and 24 gigs of ram with the ASUS supercomputer motherboard.

Another thing to keep in mind is that even though Adobe plans on accelerating the next version of Premiere with the Nvidia CUDA graphics cards, you have to purchase the $1500 card to get some of the same real-time playback that the RTx2 offers. Granted, the Nvidia card will allow better playback of AVCHD, DSLR files and Red files, but the RTx2 came out before those formats became more of a standard. I think you will still see a need for the RTx2 as a good capture and output card going forward. Accelerated exports and real-time filters are an added bonus. Plus, with the ability to add a compressed HD card, you can export to blu-ray with lightning speed.

Chris

• 13. Re: Matrox RTX-2 with CS4

Does this mean you want to buy another one?

• 14. Re: Matrox RTX-2 with CS4
                                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Chris,

It is very simple. I have a pretty fast middle-of-the-road system that is stable, reliable and up to now, outperforms many other systems. The only component that is validated by Matrox is my video card, if I assume that Sapphire and Club3D are comparable. All other components are not validated by Matrox and my system is now around a year old. All the Matrox systems I have seen, perform at least three times slower than my system, despite their claimed real time performance.

Another thing to keep in mind is that even though Adobe plans on accelerating the next version of Premiere with the Nvidia CUDA graphics cards, you have to purchase the $1500 card to get some of the same real-time playback that the RTx2 offers.

Where did you get that figure? Nonsense. A GTX285 is far less expensive and will save quite some $$$ over a Matrox card.

If the choice is $ 1 K+ for a Matrox card that is outperformed by a factor 3 or more by a mediocre system or investing that amount in a better performing PC where ALL applications benefit and saves you the headaches that Matrox almost always cause, the choice is pretty obvious.

• 15. Re: Matrox RTX-2 with CS4

Harm, do you wand to buy a gently-used RT.X2?

• 16. Re: Matrox RTX-2 with CS4
                                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Sorry, I already have a doorstopper.

• 17. Re: Matrox RTX-2 with CS4
                                          Eric Jurg Level 1

A couple of nice features that I didn't mention about the RTX2:

1) You can monitor HDV captures in the capture window.

2) You have audio input meters during capture.

3) You have external monitor support for AE, Photoshop, Encore, 3ds max, and combustion.

• 18. Re: Matrox RTX-2 with CS4
                                            Harm Millaard Level 7

So what?

1. You have the same with HDVSplit.

2. Nice to look at, but you can't change the levels, so what?

3. So does CS4, so what?

Just a $ 1 K investment down the drain.

• 19. Re: Matrox RTX-2 with CS4
                                              Eric Jurg Level 1

1) HDVSplit is a 3rd party app not integrated with Premiere. Did I mention that (the fully integrated) Premiere HDV capture with the RTX2 displays on the external monitor as well?

2) Ever have to do an analog capture? PITA without input meters.

3) We're talking external monitor support here. How do you plug a monitor into a Premiere system without a capture card?

• 20. Re: Matrox RTX-2 with CS4
                                                Harm Millaard Level 7

1. HDVSplit is 3-rd party. Agreed. What is Matrox? Isn't that 3-rd party as well?

2. Sure. Occasionally and that is where pass-thru or Canopus is handy.

3. Firewire or HDMI.

• 21. Re: Matrox RTX-2 with CS4
                                                  Eric Jurg Level 1

1) Yeah, except it's integrated into Premiere. Kinda wacky (if you ask me) to have to go to a 3rd party app for HDV capture. Also, external monitor support during capture is pretty nice.

2) I thought we were talking about metering.

3) Firewire: SD only; half second delay, requires camera or converter box. HDMI: not true full screen monitoring (actually just a desktop extension).

• 22. Re: Matrox RTX-2 with CS4
                                                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Great that you are a Matrox fan. As long as you are happy with it, go on. For me, I never touch anything Matrox again. I have been burned too oft by that stuff. It seems that this can be the end of this discussion, since nothing valuable is added.

• 23. Re: Matrox RTX-2 with CS4
                                                      Eric Jurg Level 1

Yeah, I know what you mean. My pet hate is Apple computers. Every time I hear one of those Macheads crowing the wonders of Final Cut Pro, I feel like... (anger management)  But we'll whip their butts with CS5, won't we?

• 24. Re: Matrox RTX-2 with CS4
                                                        pcguyseu

I know this is a little off topic but i am desperatly looking for the drivers for a

MATROX ODYSSEY XPRO OP413G1G, it was purchased with the sole use of adobe CS3/CS4 in mind but as of yet i have been unable to locate the drivers looking prefferably for windows vista/7 drivers.

Thanks in advance anyone who can help.

My email is stephen@dhmicro.co.uk if you have them.

Thanks again

steve