25 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2010 9:34 AM by the_wine_snob

New at this...video won't play

Jonespnh

I've just downloaded the trial edition of PP...I imported a video from my hard drive and it won't play. The audio portion plays, and when I click the stop button, the picture jumps to a still of where the audio stopped. When I imported the file, it gives me a .avi extension. Is this okay? If not how do I fix it? I am seriously considering purchasing this software for a virtual field trip program I have started and don't want to be discouraged by problems right off the bat. Please help!

• 1. Re: New at this...video won't play
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, AVI could contain anything. This ARTICLE will give you more background on the formats, which are but "wrappers." It will also tell you how to "peek" inside the wrapper, and if you will post the info from G-Spot, we can tell you what is wrong, and what you need to do about it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: New at this...video won't play
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Also note: the trial will not do ANYTHING MPEG. Depending on what is inside your AVI, you should be good to go, with maybe a little conversion. Just do not expect to Import any form of MPEG, or Export any form of MPEG.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: New at this...video won't play
              Jonespnh Level 1

At the risk of sounding stupid...G Spot?????

• 4. Re: New at this...video won't play
                Jonespnh Level 1

Duh, read the article and figured out G-Spot...I ran the file through it and it says the codec's are

installed. What other information do you need?

• 5. Re: New at this...video won't play
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

In the article that I linked to, G-Spot is explained. It is a free utility to gather info on AV files. It works extremely well with AVI's, very well with MPEG's, and pretty well with WMV's and MOV's. For MOV's, I also use the Properties dialog in Apple's QuickTime Pro (US$29 upgrade/unlock), and for WMV's, many versions of WMP will give the properties. Another useful utility is MediaInfo. I think that it's still free too.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: New at this...video won't play
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, what CODEC did it tell you was inside that AVI. That will be the key. Going from your description, my first guess would be DivX, or Xvid, and second guess would be MJPEG. The first two (DivX & Xvid) just usually will not edit in PrPro. For the latter, one is likely to need another MJPEG CODEC, from say Morgan, or MainConcept.

This ARTICLE will give you some more background on CODEC's.

Note: having a particular CODEC properly installed is no guarantee that an NLE (Non Linear Editor) can use it to edit. Some will work, and some just will not work.

For PrPro, a DV-AVI Type II file with 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV is "as good as it gets," and if you need to convert your AVI, that is the ultimate target.

Good luck, and hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 7. Re: New at this...video won't play
                      Jonespnh Level 1

Codec is dvsd Name is DVC/DV video

• 8. Re: New at this...video won't play
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

That should be good to go. Not sure what the issue would be. Can you attach a screen-cap from G-Spot? Might be something else going on with the footage. Hint: you can use the little "camera" icon in the lower-middle of the editing screen's Toolbar for this. I'd crop to just the G-Spot screen, and then do a JPEG at about a setting of 9 (in Photoshop), so that all is readable.

Now, what is your Project/Sequence Preset? Did you choose the proper Preset, either PAL or NTSC (depends on where you live), and then the DV Standard (4:3) or Widescreen (16:9)? The Project Preset must match your source footage 100%, or issues can arise.

When one Imports footage that does not match the Project Preset, there can be playback issues. There will be a thin red line above the Clips, just below the Timeline Ruler. Pressing Enter will Render that footage, for better playback. With DV-AVI, this should not be an issue, and you should have no line.

Good luck, and let us know about the Project/Sequence Preset and also the other data via that screen-cap.

Hunt

• 9. Re: New at this...video won't play
                          Jonespnh Level 1

Hunt,

Frustration abounds!!! I've been messing around with this thing for hours and I'm still getting nowhere.

I've tried all the different presets and get the same results.

I can't find a camera icon anywhere on PrPro and I don't have Photoshop. I'll give you some of the values off of G Spot:

t

Len: 22:28.894     Frms: 40,426     kbps: 28775     Qf: 2.778

Pics/s: 29.970     Frames/s: 29.970     Fields/s: 59.940

d

pic (w x: 720x480

sar: 1.500 (3:2)     par: 0.889 (8:9)     dar 1.333 (4:3)

Resizing

1: None, already DVD format

2: None, already DVD format

Thanks for all your help. I REALLY want to make this work as the program seems to do everything I need, but if I can't get the video to play it doesn't do me much good. Is there anywhere I can download a different video that I can use to test my software?

• 10. Re: New at this...video won't play
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

For video editors it is always advisable to use material from a video camera, not downloaded crap.

• 11. Re: New at this...video won't play
                              the_wine_snob Level 9
                              I can't find a camera icon anywhere on PrPro and I don't have Photoshop.

That "camera icon" is in the forum editing screen's Toolbar:

Adobe_Forum_Image.jpg

For a screen-cap, you can use Clipboard, by hitting the Prt Sc key (some keyboards require Ctrl+Prt Sc), and then Windows Paint (included on most Windows OS's), to do a .BMP, or JPEG from the image in the Clipboard.

It looks like your footage is NTSC, so the Preset to use would be NTSC DV (720x480) Standard (4:3). That will get you 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio too.

There are probably tons of DV-AVI Type II files on the Internet, that can be used to test with. The AV file Zipped into the Autumn Background on Muvipix is DV-AVI. It is silent, but should work fine as a test. You will need to download it, UnZip/Extract it, and then Import it into an NTSC DV Standard Project/Sequence. It is a free download from that site.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: New at this...video won't play
                                Jonespnh Level 1

Interesting...I downloaded the autumn video and tried to get it to play...nothing. I get the picture of the leaves, but the leaves never move. Is there something wrong with my software?

• 13. Re: New at this...video won't play
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, that is a possibility - or with the computer. With most AV material, the most important aspect of the computer is the I/O sub-system, i.e. your HDD's, their size, speed, controller type, etc. If one has say a 5400 RPM HDD, it could be too slow. Playback is different from playback in an editing environment. Can you tell us more about your computer? Might be an issue there.

Just to test, I loaded the Autumn AVI into both PrElements 4 and PrPro 2.0, and it played smoothly in each app, so there is nothing wrong with that file.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: New at this...video won't play
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Another system-related issue could be other programs, or Processes getting in the way and stealing too many resources from PrPro. This ARTICLE will give you tips on getting your computer ready for an editing session.

Unfortunately, if your trial installation got hosed, you will not have the option to either do a Repair Install, or to re-Install it. That is a security measure with the trial, along with the 30-day "clock." If you had the full-version, a Repair Install would be my next suggestion - after we look over your system's specs. That does not work in this case.

Now, Adobe does offer a 30-day money-back guarantee, so if you did buy, you would have a full 30-days, to decide if you really liked it enough to keep it. One big feature of doing things this way is that one would have full MPEG support plus Encore to try out for authoring.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: New at this...video won't play
                                      Jonespnh Level 1

I have the program loaded on an Acer Aspire 5517 laptop which apparently has 285 GB of memory (or space, whatever you call it) on the hard drive. It says that there are 221 GB still available. I havent been able to find any other information than that.

What I'm trying to do with this program is have a video editing program that will work on a laptop that I can take on a boat. I am sailing the East Coast this spring and have promised to send video "webisodes" of my travels back to several elementary schools. I'm doing this just to help some kids see what is beyond their front doors, and the video portion is turning out to be much more challenging than the sailing part. Are there different programs I should be looking at?

• 16. Re: New at this...video won't play
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, it appears that you have a single HDD. That will be a drawback, but its speed is very important for smooth playback. Your computers manual should list the speed of the HDD (Hard Disk Drive).

Good luck,

Hunt

• 17. Re: New at this...video won't play
                                          Jonespnh Level 1

This is what I found on the Acer website pertaining to my model:

Memory1, 3, 4,Dual-channel DDR2 SDRAM support, with up to 2 GB of DDR2 667 MHz memory, upgradeable to 4 GB using two soDIMM modules5
                                          Video SubsystemATI Radeon™ HD 3200 Graphics with up to 19196 MB of HyperMemory™ (256 MB of dedicated system memory, up to 1663 MB of shared system memory), supporting Unified Video Decoder (UVD), OpenEXR High Dynamic-Range (HDR) technology, Shader Model 4.0, Microsoft® DirectX® 10
                                          Dual independent display support
                                          16.7 million colors
                                          External resolution/refresh rate:
                                          • 2048 x 1536: 75/60 Hz
                                          • 1920 x 1440: 85/75/60 Hz
                                          • 1920 x 1200: 75/60 Hz
                                          • 1920 x 1080: 100/85/75/60 Hz
                                          • 1600 x 1200: 120/100/85/75/60 Hz
                                          • 1600 x 900: 120/100/85/75/60 Hz
                                          • 1400 x 1050: 85/75/60 Hz
                                          • 1280 x 1024: 120/100/85/75/60 Hz
                                          • 1280 x 960: 85/75/60 Hz
                                          • 1280 x 768: 85/75/60 Hz
                                          • 1280 x 720: 100/85/75/60 Hz
                                          • 1024 x 768: 120/100/85/75/60 Hz
                                          • 800 x 600: 120/100/85/72/60 Hz

MPEG-2/DVD decoding
                                          WMV9 (VC-1) and H.264 (AVC) decoding
                                          Acer Arcade™ Deluxe featuring Acer CinemaVision™ and Acer ClearVision™ technologies7

I know my laptop has the 4GB of memory...after that, I am utterly confused.

Surrender is near.

• 18. Re: New at this...video won't play
                                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Your system does not meet minimum requirements and the CPU is pretty slow. Normally for DV material you may get by if you have an adequate disk setup, which does not appear to be the case. Your G-Spot info seems to indicate we are not talking about the probably only format you may be able to edit, which is MS DV AVI type2.

• 19. Re: New at this...video won't play
                                              Jonespnh Level 1

I contacted Adobe technical support and the tech there told me that my computer is fine for running the program. He assisted me in reporting the problem through the technical portal. I'll let everyone know what they tell me. Thanks for all your help.

• 20. Re: New at this...video won't play
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

I hope that it's just something that we're all missing, and you'll be able to get to editing. IMO, the "minimum requirements" are rather bogus, and marketing puffery. Those will allow one to load and launch the program - very little more. I really wish that engineering would grab marketing by the throat and shake 'em good.

Still, I hope that your laptop is adequate. For SD video editing (what you have), I went with the fastest Quad-core CPU (at that moment), 4GB RAM, a separate video card, and 3x 7200 RPM SATA II HDD's. To me, that is near the minimum, but was, on that day, the max that I could stuff into a laptop.

One thing that I did not touch on, that could affect your playback, is the video driver. I'd go to the video card's (forget from the list now) mfgr's Web site, and download and install the very latest driver available.

Best of luck, and please do report what is done.

Hunt

• 21. Re: New at this...video won't play
                                                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Well, we all know that the people you get on the phone in first instance are complete nitwits and likely have never used the program. They are only call-center operators, who read a standard form out to you.

The Adobe site states for PR CS4 amongst other requirements:

Dedicated 7200 RPM hard drive for DV and HDV editing; striped disk array storage (RAID 0) for HD; SCSI disk subsystem preferred

Your system does not meet that requirement. EOS (End of story).

• 22. Re: New at this...video won't play
                                                    Jonespnh Level 1

It may not be EOS...

Apparently there are several different models of the Acer Aspire 5517. I started to question the system info I posted above when I saw that the processor that is installed in mine wasn't listed there. That's why I called Adobe Tech Support. I really don't have any reason to doubt what he told me (besides the point that the program still doesn't work) He seemed very confident that the tech portal people could solve the problem. We'll see. In the meantime, I'm downloading a cheaper program. If that works, I may just save my $700 that was headed in Adobe's direction.

• 23. Re: New at this...video won't play
                                                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Simple. How many PHYSICAL disks do you have and how fast are they in terms of RPM and what capacity do they have and what is the fill rate?

• 24. Re: New at this...video won't play
                                                        Jonespnh Level 1

FIXED IT!!!!!!!!

With no help from Adobe tech support. They told me that with trial editions, they only support installation and removal of the software. Certainly leaves a very bad taste in my mouth when it comes to using Adobe products.

The fix...Every time I was opening the program, I was using a desktop shortcut. I got to thinking that maybe the shortcut wasn't operating correctly and deleted it. I then went into the PrPro folder and found yet another shortcut in there. I deleted that and launched the program from the folder. The video fired right up and played perfectly.

In the meantime, however, I had downloaded a trial version of another program and made a one minute video on that. It lacks a few of the bells and whistles of PrPro but it costs $69 as opposed to $799. I've certainly got to think about where my software dollars are going to go. I could buy a new, better camera AND the program for less than the cost of PrPro. Hmmmmm.....

• 25. Re: New at this...video won't play
                                                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                          FIXED IT!!!!!!!!

Great news!

Some others have had issues with the shortcut. Usually, the cure is to Rt-click on the executable and choose Run As Administrator. Depending on how User Accounts are set up on one's computer, that gets around a lot of problems, as most Adobe programs WANT to be run from an Administrator Account.

As for other NLE's, I have several, besides PrPro. I use those as tools, as some are much more lenient with regards to CODEC's. Still, I would NEVER be comfortable actually editing in them, but that is just me. If you find something that works well for you, and saves you big $'s, there's no shame in going with it. Many users prefer PrE over PrPro, as it fits their needs and style. I'm just not one of those users.

Good luck, and glad that things are up and running. If those "bells and whistles" do not translate into things that you can and will use, no need to spend the money.

Hunt