8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2010 12:57 PM by the_wine_snob

AME cannot read from source location

lostnsanity

I've read up and down the forums about people having trouble with Adobe Media Encoder and no one

has posted a clear answer.

I am working on an iMac running OSX version 10.6.2.  My processor is a 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo and I have 4 GB DDR2 SDRAM.

My problem lies in exporting a sequence from Premiere Pro CS4 to video.

I highlight my sequence, which previews perfectly in Premiere, then go to File > Export > Media...

I choose my settings and click OK.

Promptly, AME pops up and places my selection in the queue with a status of "Waiting."

I then click "Start Queue."

At this point, AME does nothing for roughly 6 minutes.

After this time, the status of the queued item changes to a warning symbol.

Clicking on the warning symbol, I get the AMEEncodingErrorLog.txt

Here, it tells me "Could not read from the source. Please check if it has moved or been deleted."

While checking what source file it is refrencing, I notice that it creates a new file every time I queue something new.

These source files are all in the folders referenced by AME.

Why can't AME just work?

• 1. Re: AME cannot read from source location
          Harm Millaard Level 7

It will stop working when:

1. The timeline does contain blank spaces,

2. When there is insufficient space on the temp disk,

3. Some other problems occur, which are hard to pinpoint without details.

• 2. Re: AME cannot read from source location
            lostnsanity Level 1

The only blank space in the timeline is an editing choice and occurs at the very end, but still within my "work area"; the internal drive which is used to store the temp files has a good 420 GB left remaining; and I'm not sure what other information I could offer.

I tried repairing my permissions on the drive as well, but it had no effect on AME.

• 3. Re: AME cannot read from source location
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              The only blank space in the timeline is an editing choice and occurs at the very end, but still within my "work area"

Until that editing decision is made, just go to New and add Transparent Video to the Project. Locate it to "fill the gap" in your Timeline.

Now, some Mac's have had issues with "synthetic media." If this happens to you, then stick the Transparent Video into a new Sequence, and Export it. Import it back and then use that.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: AME cannot read from source location
                lostnsanity Level 1

Until that editing decision is made, just go to New and add Transparent Video to the Project. Locate it to "fill the gap" in your Timeline.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I was able to pull my entire Premiere Project into After Effects in an attempt to render from there.  However, all of the minor color correction that I had done was lost and many of my effects (i.e. dissolves and audio fades) were lost.

This is a last option to use as I will need to repair all of the effects that I've already done and it still doesn't solve the problem with AME.

• 5. Re: AME cannot read from source location
                  Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Go to file in the AME and add PP sequence. See if that will work.

• 6. Re: AME cannot read from source location
                    lostnsanity Level 1

When attempting to add the Premiere Pro project directly into AME, I am able to navigate to the file and select it.  Then after taking a while to analyze the file, I get "Dynamic Link Error: An Adobe Dynamic Link error occurred." and I'm never actually able to add the file to the queue.

I guess I'm getting closer to the culprit, but still lost for a solution.

• 7. Re: AME cannot read from source location
                      lostnsanity Level 1

Finally, I have found the answer.  On a CreativeCow.net forum, user Bill Clark posted the solution.  Found here: http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/3/886944

Re: CS4 Premiere Won't Encode Videos..
                      by Bill Clark on Dec  7, 2008 at 1:56:10 am
                      OK,  believe it or not, 5 mins after I posted my rant I managed to solve my  problem. It had nothing to do with all the stuff that everybody on the  web was suggesting about re-installs and clean scripts. Something much  simpler. I have a few plug ins on AE - Sapphire, Magic Bullet etc and I  realised that every adobe programme was loading them on start up. And I  kept getting an error message from Premiere Pro and Media Encoder about  Magic Bullet looks - that it wasn't registered. It was driving me nuts  because it is. I reinstalled everything twice, and during this process  spotted that Adobe is now putting all the plug ins in a central folder -  which it refers to as media core. This on a Mac is at Macintosh  HD/Library/Application Suport/Adobe/Common/Plug ins/CS4. (There might  also be a CS3 file as well)

It occurred to me that this might be causing confusion - Media  Encoder trying to load plug ins that it doesn't understand and might not  be licensed for in the XML file. So I pulled them out of there and put  them straight into the AE CS4 plug in folder. Bingo. All the plug ins  run fine - AND SO DOES MEDIA ENCODER! And now, no problems at all with  the dynamic links between AE, Premiere Pro and ME.

I'm not saying this is the solution for everyone - but it's worked  for me. Hope it helps somebody.

Over and out.

Bill Clark
                      Origami Films
                      Slate612

So there is nothing wrong inertly with AME, just that it was trying to load plugins that it ought not.  Thanks for all the help leading to this solution.

• 8. Re: AME cannot read from source location
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Thanks for posting that info. It will likely help others in the future.

I assume that AME is now working for you too - at least here's hoping.

Hunt