3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2006 10:19 AM by Newsgroup_User

Geocities

sebastian37 Level 1

Hello

I have built a website in Dreamweaver. It exists on my hard drive only and I want to put it online. I have got some webspace with Geocities and would like the site to appear there. I have already uploaded a flash file to geocities, and it now works fine. I have uploaded some of my html pages to geocities, but they appear without their images. I have enough space on the site. The problem is that I do not understand the relationship between Dreamweaver and Goecities. I would appreciate some advice.

Thanks

T
        • 1. Re: Geocities
          Level 7
          You might need to specifically upload the images, as they are separate, not
          part of the html file. The images need to be on the server before your
          webpage can call and show them. DW calls upload "Put".

On 10/8/06 6:43 AM, "sebastian37" wrote:

>
          >
          > Hello
          >
          > I have built a website in Dreamweaver. It exists on my hard drive only and I
          > want to put it online. I have got some webspace with Geocities and would like
          > the site to appear there. I have already uploaded a flash file to geocities,
          > and it now works fine. I have uploaded some of my html pages to geocities, but
          > they appear without their images. I have enough space on the site. The problem
          > is that I do not understand the relationship between Dreamweaver and
          > Goecities.
          > I would appreciate some advice.
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > T
          >

• 2. Geocities
            Level 1
            You'd be better off with web hosting account such as Dreamhost. or others, other than "free" web hosting account like those of geocities.com or similar ones, where you get better tech support services through web hosting accounts than free ones. With free hosting accounts, you do not have any control to block any popup ads or all silly ads placed by geocities when Internet users visit your site.

I take that you don't have domain name set up, get one for yourself. Because you will need one for your web hosting account. With geocities account, you will have LONG, non-sense URL web address for that matter.

Have a look at Dreamhost. I have been very happy with the quality of service at Dreamhost for past three years. Good luck!

quote:

Originally posted by: sebastian37

Hello

I have built a website in Dreamweaver. It exists on my hard drive only and I want to put it online. I have got some webspace with Geocities and would like the site to appear there. I have already uploaded a flash file to geocities, and it now works fine. I have uploaded some of my html pages to geocities, but they appear without their images. I have enough space on the site. The problem is that I do not understand the relationship between Dreamweaver and Goecities. I would appreciate some advice.

Thanks

T
            • 3. Re: Geocities
              Level 7
              give a link to the uploaded page please, so the code can be seen.

first guess- you've use site root relative paths for the images, and your
              site is hosted in a subfolder of the domain so they won't work online.

look in the code for an img tag. Does the path start with a leading /slash?
              If yes- that's site root relative.

fix- double-click the image to bring up the Browse to file dialog box.
              Find the pulldown in that dialog box and change from site root relative to
              document relative. finish selecting the image file.