6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2010 2:49 PM by Todd_Kopriva

Newbie question - Simple way to edit and export?

barts5 Level 1

Hi All,

I am new to After Effects.  Basically what I am hoping to do is take a .MOV file from my Canon 7D and adjust things like exposure, shadow/highlight, saturation, etc and then export the altered file back into a .MOV file (or other format of similar file size) that I can then edit into a very simple movie in Pinnacle Studio or Windows Movie Maker.

I tried aditing one clip and rendering it but the 100MB file turned into a 4GB file!!

If anyone can help me with a simple workflow and settings I would really appreciate it.

Thanks very much!

Glenn

• 1. Re: Newbie question - Simple way to edit and export?
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

The default settings for QuickTime movies rendered and exported from After Effects use the Animation codec with quality settings at 100%. These are big files, but they are also losslessly compressed.

If you were creating movies for final distribution and delivery from After Effects, I'd tell you about compression/encoding for highly efficient (i.e., small) files. But you said that you were going to use the output from After Effects in other software, so...

One thing to keep in mind about post-production software is that you want to only use uncompressed or losslessly compressed files at every stage of the workflow until final delivery. Otherwise, each step degrades the image. So, you are going to be passing big files around. But they don't have to be quite so big as you're getting.

Another lossless encoding scheme (codec) that you can use inside a QuickTime container is PNG. When you choose QuickTime from the Format menu in the Output Module Settings dialog box, click the Format Options button and choose PNG as the Compression Type. Data encoded with the PNG codec inside a QuickTime container takes up about half as much space as data encoded using Animation.

Start here for an overview of rendering and exporting.

Be sure to use the render queue. Do not use the File > Export menu to create QuickTime movies. Seriously.

• 2. Re: Newbie question - Simple way to edit and export?
            barts5 Level 1

Thanks for the reply.

As far as using After Effects for the rest of my workflow...I am very open to that.  I just don�t know the program well yet. Here is what I would like to be able to do (one day):

Import my files from my Canon 7D

Clip these down to just the good bits.

Adjust exposure, shadow/highlight, saturation, contrast, etc.

Export this edited file or save it over the "RAW" video footage

Create a very simple movie with simple transitions and titles

Save this final movie in a format suitable for youtube in HD mode.

Should I just do all of this in After Effects?  Where does a program like Premier Pro come in?

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Glenn

• 3. Re: Newbie question - Simple way to edit and export?
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Should I just do all of this in After Effects?  Where does a program like Premier Pro come in?

It depends on how much of this part you do:

>Clip these down to just the good bits.

That's the part that Premiere Pro is good at.

If you're new to After Effects, I recommend starting here: "Getting started with After Effects"

• 4. Re: Newbie question - Simple way to edit and export?
                barts5 Level 1

Thanks again for the help...I am still getting huge files...My 21 MB file that I imported rendered into a 600 MB .mov file or a 690 MB .avi file.  Furthermore I couldnt even play these files in Windows Media Player. I tried the PNG suggestion and that created an image file for each frame in the video.

Is there no way to apply effects such as adjusting the exposure, saturation and then export the video to be the same size as the original?

I am used to still photographs.  So my reference would be to take a Tiff file and create layers to adjust levels, contrast, saturation, etc.  I would then flatten the image down and save as a Tiff again.  The resulting file would be the same size as the original.

Can this be done in Video?

Thanks,

Glenn

• 5. Re: Newbie question - Simple way to edit and export?
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

There are two very different scenarios:

A) You want a movie to play in a movie player.

B) You want a movie to use as input to another program, like an editing program.

In case A, you want to make small, compressed movies. Compression causes artifacts (i.e., some damage to image quality).

In case B, you want to preserve image quality. This makes big files. But you don't care, because you're not streaming them over the Internet or playing them in a media player.

This is not an After Effects thing, and it's not even a video-specific thing. It's a universal truth about digital media and compression.

In your TIFF example, you're referring to a losslessly compressed image frame. You're not starting with something losslessly compressed when you take in the video from your camera. You're starting with a file that has already been greatly compressed.

So, yes, you can get something small out of After Effects. But you don't want to do that if your next step is an editing program.

• 6. Re: Newbie question - Simple way to edit and export?
                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> I tried the PNG suggestion and that created an image file for each frame in the video.

I suggested this: "Data encoded with the PNG codec inside a QuickTime container "

That means to choose PNG as the Compression Type after you've clicked the Format Options button in the Output Module Settings dialog box after choosing QuickTime from the Format menu in the Output Module Settings dialog box.

Please start with the getting-started links and the links to the instructions on how to use the render queue that I provided in my early message.