6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2010 11:55 AM by mhollis55

Viewing/Editing a live website's code in DWCS4?

fAdEd247

Hi,

I would like to open live websites in DW and edit/preview the code.

What is the best way to do this?

Thanks very much.

Ty

• 1. Re: Viewing/Editing a live website's code in DWCS4?
          mhollis55 Level 4

The best way is to download everything to your local computer and then edit and check it there.

There is a "get" command in Dreamweaver that will get any and all pages on the website via ftp. If you have the login and password, it should be simple to set up.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Viewing/Editing a live website's code in DWCS4?
            fAdEd247 Level 1

Hi mhollis55 ,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm unable to select the "Get" option.  It is not highlighted like the rest of the available options.

What if I do not have the login information for a site I'd like to open within DW?

I'm basically trying to use DW as a "super advanced text editor", so I can view/edit my code much more faster and efficiently.

Thanks for your help.

Ty

• 3. Re: Viewing/Editing a live website's code in DWCS4?
              bregent Most Valuable Participant

>What if I do not have the login information

>for a site I'd like to open within DW?

Then you can't connect to it and of course, can't GET anything. If you don't have the credentials to log into the site, then you need to get them.

• 4. Re: Viewing/Editing a live website's code in DWCS4?
                fAdEd247 Level 1

Thats understandable.

I'm trying to use Dreamweaver as anybody would use Firebug, or IE's developer tools.  The only difference I'm trying to accomplish is being able to preview my code by using Dreamweaver.  I just need to open the HTML and CSS of a site within DW and be able to play around with the code.

FireBug accomplishes this by default, however only renders the FireFox settings.  I'd like to see universally how my code displays by using DreamWeaver.

Thanks for all the help.

Ty

• 5. Re: Viewing/Editing a live website's code in DWCS4?
                  John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you don't have the FTP details then try File Page Save As... in Firefox (ensure Save as type: Web Page, complete)

Then open the .htm file in DW and tweak.

• 6. Re: Viewing/Editing a live website's code in DWCS4?
                    mhollis55 Level 4

Well, you can view a page source in any browser. Copy and paste that into Dreamweaver's code area and you have the code that went into that page.

But you cannot copy style sheets that way. You can use Firebug and select areas so that you can look at the styles of those areas and that will get you most of the style sheet. You won't get most of the server-side code (especially if it is above the head tags) but you can get a pretty close approximation of a web site without downloading all of it.