9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2010 9:07 AM by Todd_Kopriva

Should final movie be created in Premiere?

brettr2 Level 1

When I output a movie in AE, it creates very large files for short movies (6 minutes = ~1.5GB).   I don't get HD and there aren't as many adjustments as in Premiere.  Should I always output a lossless .mov file from AE and then create the final HD .mov in Premiere?

• 1. Re: Should final movie be created in Premiere?
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

What options are you not getting? You are using the render queue, right? (If you're using the File > Export menu, then that's your problem right there. Don't do that.)

• 2. Re: Should final movie be created in Premiere?
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Your question isn't that easy to answer because there are so many options. Here are the basic rules that I live by.

1. If you are going to do anything else with your After Effects render you should only use a lossless or nearly lossless codec. By anything else I mean, compress for the web, compress for DVD, do further color correction, resize, add to a Premiere project for further editing, or any other re-processing.
            2. If the only thing you're going to do is drop your project in a timeline to edit into an existing project render to the same codec and format used by the original video. For example, if you do a keying shot that you're going to drop in a NTSC DV Premiere project, and the shot needs no further color correction, render to DV.

Any re-compression of an already compressed source will introduce artifacts that degrade the image. Even though there are a bunch of different compression options available in After Effects, and even though many folks use them, you'll always get a better result using an app that has the ability to look at more than one frame at a time. The re-compression does take extra time, and the lossless files are big, but, for me, it's more than worth the effort.

• 3. Re: Should final movie be created in Premiere?
              brettr2 Level 1

After switching to the H.264 format option, I get lots more options.  However, I keep running into this error: http://drp.ly/tFB5u.  I'm not sure which mismatch AE is referring to.  Do you have any ideas?

• 4. Re: Should final movie be created in Premiere?
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

This page talks about the same error for MPEG-2:

http://aeerrors.myleniumstuff.de/?cat=21

H.264 is a variant of MPEG-4, and the principles at work are the same.

The quick answer is that some formats are constrained by their specifications so that the movies can only be of certain frame sizes and/or frame rates. If your composition and its render settings and output module settings are set to create a movie that falls outside of these specifications, you get this error---which is Adobe Media Encoder basically saying (to you and to the After Effects output module) "You gave me the wrong thing. Change the settings to give me the right thing."

The information about the changes that you need to make are in the Comments field of the H.264 export settings dialog box, which you can see by clicking the Format Options button in the Output Module Settings dialog box.

We know that this is a bad user experience. I don't think that I'm giving anything away when I tell you that we're right now working on making this experience a lot better.

• 5. Re: Should final movie be created in Premiere?

As I said before when rendering to a compressed codec I always better to use a different path than a AE. H264  is a highly compressed codec that always works better outside of After Effects. I would render the project as animation codec QuickTime then use the media encoder or even QuickTime Pro to render your H264 footage.

• 6. Re: Should final movie be created in Premiere?
                    Todd_Kopriva Level 8

BTW, I agree with Rick on this point. After Effects is great for creating great-looking movies; other programs are great at compressing the bejeezus out of these movies for final delivery and distribution. Adobe Media Encoder, QuickTime Pro, Sorenson Squeeze... There are lots of good choices.

• 7. Re: Should final movie be created in Premiere?
                      brettr2 Level 1

Thanks Rick.  Do you mean the format "Quicktime Movie" when you say "animation codec Quicktime".  I didn't see the latter as an option.

• 8. Re: Should final movie be created in Premiere?
                        Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Rick meant to choose Animation as the Compression Type for a QuickTime movie. These options are exposed when you click the Format Options button in the Output Module Settings dialog box.

This, by the way, is the default for QuickTime movies. So, you will get the same large files that you got when you asked at the beginning of this thread. Losslessly compressed images are big.

• 9. Re: Should final movie be created in Premiere?

Thanks for the clarification Todd... and sorry for the funky grammar in my reply. It was the first time I used a voice recognition program to reply to a forum question from my iPhone while riding on a buss. It only kinda worked. Hope you got the point.