9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2007 2:44 PM by Newsgroup_User

cropping diagonally

chrisgm187
      Hi

Dose any one know how to crop an img in any other shape than a square. I have a square photo that i want to half diagonally, i have used a mask but this has left me with a lot of extra white space. Is there a simple way to do this.

thanks

Chris
        • 1. Re: cropping diagonally
          pixlor Level 4
          Once you crop your photo, you want to resize your canvas to fit. Select Modify>Canvas>Trim Canvas.
          • 2. Re: cropping diagonally
            Level 7
            Right click the photo, select Edit > Crop Selected Bitmap. Then, as
            pixlor suggests, trim the canvas.

alex

chrisgm187 wrote:
            > Hi
            >
            > Dose any one know how to crop an img in any other shape than a square. I have
            > a square photo that i want to half diagonally, i have used a mask but this has
            > left me with a lot of extra white space. Is there a simple way to do this.
            >
            > thanks
            >
            > Chris
            >
            • 3. Re: cropping diagonally
              Level 7
              jeez ... never mind, I just saw the word "diagonally" -

Alex Mariño wrote:
              > Right click the photo, select Edit > Crop Selected Bitmap. Then, as
              > pixlor suggests, trim the canvas.
              >
              > alex
              >
              > chrisgm187 wrote:
              >> Hi
              >> Dose any one know how to crop an img in any other shape than a
              >> square. I have a square photo that i want to half diagonally, i have
              >> used a mask but this has left me with a lot of extra white space. Is
              >> there a simple way to do this.
              >>
              >> thanks
              >>
              >> Chris
              >>
              • 4. Re: cropping diagonally
                pixlor Level 4
                quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                jeez ... never mind, I just saw the word "diagonally" -

Woah! So it is.

Chris...sorry, images are rectangular, the bounding box is the best you can do.
                • 5. Re: cropping diagonally
                  chrisgm187 Level 1
                  Hi

Thanks for the input every one but this dose not solve my problem. I want to crop an img from the top right hand corner to the bottom left so the photo looks like a triangle. I can acheive this with a mask but i am left with the other half of the img as excess canvas.
                  • 6. Re: cropping diagonally
                    Level 7
                    images are always rectangular(or square) fill in the 'excess' canvas
                    with a colour or whatever to match the destination background.
                    ;)

chrisgm187 wrote:
                    > Hi
                    >
                    > Thanks for the input every one but this dose not solve my problem. I want to
                    > crop an img from the top right hand corner to the bottom left so the photo
                    > looks like a triangle. I can acheive this with a mask but i am left with the
                    > other half of the img as excess canvas.
                    >
                    • 7. Re: cropping diagonally
                      pixlor Level 4
                      No, you can't get rid of the excess canvas, because raster images (.jpg, .gif, .bmp, .png) are rectangular. In one way or another, the basic principle is to create an array of pixels, width by height. There's no raster-based image format for which the number of pixels in a row is dependent on the row number.

That said...what is it you're trying to accomplish that the blank area of the canvas is in your way?
                      • 8. Re: cropping diagonally
                        chrisgm187 Level 1
                        Ok

thanks every one I just wanted to check if i could break away from the rectangle
                        shape now I know i cant i will just use the mask i have in place
                        • 9. Re: cropping diagonally
                          Level 7
                          There may be another way...

1 - insert the image into a canvas with a transparent background

2 - draw a triangular shape an position it over the part of the image
                          you wish to keep

3 - use either Modify > Mask > group as mask
                          OR
                          Modify > Convert path to marquee

4 - select export area tool and draw out a rectangle (there is no way to
                          escape rectangularity as far as I am aware) that is big enough to
                          accommodate both parts of the image (HINT: note X, Y, width height
                          values of the export area in case you need them later)

5 - right click in export area > export it using GIF or PNG 32

6 - do much the same for the other part of the image noting that if you
                          select the mask object in layer list > break the chain link between mask
                          and image object > then you should be able to transform the path that
                          may become a selection marquee

chrisgm187 wrote:
                          > Ok
                          >
                          > thanks every one I just wanted to check if i could break away from the rectangle
                          > shape now I know i cant i will just use the mask i have in place