7 Replies Latest reply: Feb 25, 2010 9:02 PM by Wade_Zimmerman RSS

why cant I see image I am placing on black background?

hcbini

I am trying to design a postcard with one image on a black background. I've made the area black w/rectangle tool and when i physically place image I cannot see it. Ive tried to move it to front? What am I doing wrong? Any help on resizing images would be helpful also. When I "placed" the image it was huge so I used the "transform" to reduce its size. How will this effect resolution? What is proper way to import image that you need to make smaller but maintain ratios? Many novice questions, I'd be grateful for help and answers.

• 1. Re: why cant I see image I am placing on black background?
          Scott Falkner Community Member

Tell us more. What version of Illustrator are you using? What OS? What is the file type? What is the image mode and bit depth of the image? Is the image on its own layer? Is that layer above the layer for the background?

When you place an image in Illustrator it is placed at its native size, which is a function of the image resolution (in absolute pixels) and the ppi resolution (for pixels per inch). A 300 pixel by 300 pixel image at 300 ppi will be one inch square. The same image at 72 ppi will be 4.17 inches square, because the pixels are larger. If you scale that image down to one inch in Illustrator you will then have a 300 ppi image. The absolute resolution (300 pixels by 300 pixels) will not be affected.

Many images do not have a ppi value. This is common for images copied from a web page, screen grabs, and pictures straight from a digital camera. When Illustrator is asked to place those images it must assume a ppi setting. It will always assume 72 ppi.

• 2. Re: why cant I see image I am placing on black background?
            hcbini

Thanks for your reply. I can now see my image on the black background. (though still confused about it a wee bit).

I am trying to follow the directions from a printing site as to how one should format a postcard for print. They say the resolution should be 300dpi, and I think I am setting everything correctly to do this but when I try and save the document it gives me a warning saying its only 72dpi.

It also says I should save it as a .TIF and I am not given this option. I'm using cs2.

More answers to your questions. OS 10.5.8

file type is a jpg

image mode?

bit depth?

I believe the image is on its own layer and above the background layer (that may have been why I couldn't see image earlier, but thought I had tried to bring image to front?)

My instructions are for a pc so maybe thats my problem.

thanks again for your help.

• 3. Re: why cant I see image I am placing on black background?
              hcbini

Thanks for your reply. I can now see my image on the black background. (though still confused about it a wee bit).

I am trying to follow the directions from a printing site as to how one should format a postcard for print. They say the resolution should be 300dpi, and I think I am setting everything correctly to do this but when I try and save the document it gives me a warning saying its only 72dpi.

It also says I should save it as a .TIF and I am not given this option. I'm using cs2.

More answers to your questions. OS 10.5.8

file type is a jpg

image mode?

bit depth?

I believe the image is on its own layer and above the background layer (that may have been why I couldn't see image earlier, but thought I had tried to bring image to front?)

My instructions are for a pc so maybe thats my problem.

thanks again for your help.

• 4. Re: why cant I see image I am placing on black background?

When you want help with a message the program is giving you, tell us exactl what that message is or post a screen shot. Saying, “it gives me a warning saying its only 72dpi” is vague and unspecific and does not explain the problem.

The warning is probably telling you that any effects you may be using are 72 pixels per inch. The image itself has nothing to do with this warning. Go to Effects > Document Raster Effect Settings and select a higher resolution.

Go to Window > Document Info. In the panel’s menu select Selection Only and Linked Images (or Embedded images if the image is embedded). Select the image.

Screen shot 2010-02-25 at 4.05.15 PM.PNG

Here you can see that the selected image has been scaled so that it’s output resolution is 328 ppi.

You cannot save a TIF file from Illustrator, you must export it.

• 5. Re: why cant I see image I am placing on black background?
                  hcbini

Picture 1.png

Here is the 72 ppi warning.

Then I went to check what you suggested and here's what I found.

Picture 3.png

and the link

Picture 2.png

which isn't a linked image?

I am trying to do something that seems so simple, an image from a .jpg on a black background???? I just cant get the 300 dpi like they say I need

Picture 4.png

to do. I am far from a computer genius and screwed up the last postcard I made so I've got to get this right.

I appreciate any and all the help.

Hope to solve this in the am with all of your help, especially yours mr. falkner. Cheers.

• 6. Re: why cant I see image I am placing on black background?

The image is linked. I can tell because there is no icon on the line with the image name in the Links panel. You need to follow my directions about using the Document Info panel. Select the image (click on it), then select Selection Only and Linked Images from the panel’s flyout menu. You can avoid that warning in the PDF options window by changing the resolution of effects in Effects > Document Raster Effect Settings.

• 7. Re: why cant I see image I am placing on black background?
                      Wade_Zimmerman Community Member

Scott is giving you all the information you need if you if you do as he has illustrated for you and follow the instructions it will make sense in the end but do not take shortcuts or you will miss a step and all will be for naught.

He is giving all the tools and info necessary.